BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

What do you reccomend for an agressive street suspension? Not sure I need a coil over

I do AutoX and DE about a dozen times a year, but I'm more of a hobbyist than anything else when it comes to track stuff. The stock setup on the 1 is way too sloppy for me, and I'm looking to tighten it up several notches.

Something slightly stiffer than an E46 M3, perhaps along the lines of a Boxster S is about where I'd like the suspension to be in terms of stiffness and feel. What would be the best way to accomplish this? A quality set of coilovers that I have set up properly once? Or is there a shock/spring/sway setup that would work just as well for me?

I see a lot of highly adjustable kits, and a lot of lowering springs, but I don't need a ton of adjustment, or a ton of lowering. A little lowering to drop the center of gravity is fine, but I'm more about performance than the slammed look. I also don't think I'm going to need to do TOO much adjustment, as I do maybe a dozen autoX/DE events over a summer. I've heard good things about TC Kline, would that fit the bill?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 05:45 AM   #2
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

TC Kline won't steer you wrong and they offer great service in my experience. It sounds like you may need a little stiffer spring than what is available from H&R or Eibach, so coilovers may be your best choice as springs are custom from guys like TC Kline or the AST setups from Vorshlag, which also get rave reviews.
      10-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
M-sweet
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Depends on your budget, I say get a set of thicker sway bars first and try some lowering springs on stock shocks/struts, something like Eibach Pro-kit. It will cost relatively less than coilover setup and also increase the limit of handling.

Also, if you don't like the performance then you can always sell the lowering springs and get something else....
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82TT6 View Post
I do AutoX and DE about a dozen times a year, but I'm more of a hobbyist than anything else when it comes to track stuff. The stock setup on the 1 is way too sloppy for me, and I'm looking to tighten it up several notches.

Something slightly stiffer than an E46 M3, perhaps along the lines of a Boxster S is about where I'd like the suspension to be in terms of stiffness and feel. What would be the best way to accomplish this? A quality set of coilovers that I have set up properly once? Or is there a shock/spring/sway setup that would work just as well for me?

I see a lot of highly adjustable kits, and a lot of lowering springs, but I don't need a ton of adjustment, or a ton of lowering. A little lowering to drop the center of gravity is fine, but I'm more about performance than the slammed look. I also don't think I'm going to need to do TOO much adjustment, as I do maybe a dozen autoX/DE events over a summer. I've heard good things about TC Kline, would that fit the bill?
TC Kline is a good product, but if you're looking for a good price for an unrivaled coilover system, you want the JIC CROSS Coilovers. They're not about slamming or not about full on adjustability (although it does that this option ), but they are about performance. The ride comfort isn't compromised, but the performance handling of your vehicle is drastically increased. You'll love these. Click here for more in-depth look into these coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
TC Kline won't steer you wrong and they offer great service in my experience. It sounds like you may need a little stiffer spring than what is available from H&R or Eibach, so coilovers may be your best choice as springs are custom from guys like TC Kline or the AST setups from Vorshlag, which also get rave reviews.
Agreed - you won't get a better system out there if you're serious about driving. KW is a close 2nd.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

It sounds like most people agreed to do coil over first and then later decide on the sway bars upgrade, right? I am thinking about going this way since the rear sway bar is a pain to install.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 01:23 PM   #7
Adrian@jic
Rep
Drives:

Hello, I work here at JIC/CROSS Suspension Project and would like to give you a bit more information about our suspension solutions to help you make decision. Our coilover uses our own mono-tube design that has been proven on many time attacks. The mono-tube design was developed and manufactured by CROSS/JIC. We do not outsource our products and make sure that they are built to the quality and standard that JIC representatives hold high. The oil used in our damper is designed to tolerate extreme temps keeping the response consistent during extended periods on the track. Rebuilding the Mono-tubes holds no problem as JIC/CROSS/Ziel Motorsports USA carries all products in house to accommodate such requests. Spring rates can also be altered to meet the demands of the consumer. Front upper camber plates are provided to help the end user dial in their footwork. If you have any other specific questions, feel free to email me:

Adrian@jic-magic.com
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
Adrian@jic
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
It sounds like most people agreed to do coil over first and then later decide on the sway bars upgrade, right? I am thinking about going this way since the rear sway bar is a pain to install.
Please choose rear sway bar wisely. Note that if coilover is set too stiff, the addition of the rear sway with no front may cause snap over steer in a corner. We have seen this with Mini owners as they install a rear sway bar but do not have the front to balance it out because of availability. I would suggest you do both at the same time to better tune your suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
triggergt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M package

in the begining of this thread someone mentioned tc kline. i was at octoberfest and was next to those guys all weekend and not only did his cars look sweet parked but they looked good on the track also. my bro was getting his comp license and tc would take one of his cars on the track and mix it up with them and his cars were flat and fast. so i agree you prob cant go wrong with a tc kline set up. i know that is what i want to do.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
triggergt
Private
United_States
Rep

if i could figure out how to put pics on this i have 2 of tc's cars and one is of his 135 with track tires and rims on it but im an rtd and cant figure it out so bare with me
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 03:06 PM   #11
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggergt View Post
if i could figure out how to put pics on this i have 2 of tc's cars and one is of his 135 with track tires and rims on it but im an rtd and cant figure it out so bare with me
Feel free to email them over and I'll post them for you.

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #12
modbargains
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon

Quote:
  1. Upload the picture onto an online host (iehotobucket, etc...)
  2. Right click
  3. Select properties
  4. Highlight the location of the picture and copy it
  5. Go into a post, select the insert image icon in the tool box above and paste the link.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
triggergt
Private
United_States
Rep

thanks tom i will deff try to do this on my own next time but i sent the pics to you. thanks again!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #14
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
thanks tom i will deff try to do this on my own next time but i sent the pics to you. thanks again!!!
Glad to help, here you go:

Awesome pics!

Appreciate 0