BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
1ForAllFor1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Question Low Tire Pressure Indicator... Help!

Came on this morning when I got into the car with the large red exclamation point in tire pictoral and the small yellow exclamation point in tire pictoral both popping up on the dash. No sounds though... The tires all appear to be fine, what should I do?

Thanks.
      10-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Using a gauge, measure the pressures and compare to the recommended pressures on the placard on your driver's doorjamb. After correcting the pressures, check your owner's manual as to how to reset the dash warning.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
1ForAllFor1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Are you kidding me? This is a BMW. There is no on board computerized tire gauge? Even my Acura TSX had one of those. Blah... I don't have a freakin' tire gauge here at work...
      10-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
gan08
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fatty X5 and Pot-bellied 135

Measure all 4 tire pressure. If they are consistent, reset TPMS.
If you have problem resetting it, check this out...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16359
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
this will start to happen alot when it gets colder

as it warms up driving the light should go away
      10-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
1ForAllFor1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzodesh View Post
this will start to happen alot when it gets colder

as it warms up driving the light should go away
Bingo. That's the first response that's actually made sense. I wondered if maybe it was weather-related...

So when I head back out to my car this afternoon, it will be gone? (the weather has warmed)
      10-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ForAllFor1 View Post
Bingo. That's the first response that's actually made sense. I wondered if maybe it was weather-related...

So when I head back out to my car this afternoon, it will be gone? (the weather has warmed)

It's not the weather. The TPM sensors are temperature compensated. If you've got an indicator you either have a low tire or a bad sensor.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
1ForAllFor1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Greeeeeeat. I drove home yesterday and everything was fine. How did this magically happen over night??
      10-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #9
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Greeeeeeat. I drove home yesterday and everything was fine. How did this magically happen over night??

You ran over a nail maybe? :iono:

Flat tires happen you know.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 02:13 PM   #10
1ForAllFor1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Wouldn't the problem have showed up at some point during my very long, slow drive home? Why wait until this morning? Also, shouldn't one of my tires LOOK low? If I hit a nail, am I going to need to replace two tires?
      10-07-2008, 02:43 PM   #11
Hairy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Black

Ah, you're one of the lucky ones that has never had a flat tire before. Sometimes you get something called a "slow leak". This sometimes happens if the nail is still in the tire...... or if the valve is seeping.

It's always good to keep a tire gage, even if you car has a tire pressure monitor. Sometimes the pressure monitors fail. I have had two fail in my Corvette.

As to why the tire does not look flat....... the 135 comes with "run flat tires". The side walls are very stiff and will support the weight of the car for some distance.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #12
1ForAllFor1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I really, really, really hope you're wrong. Sigh.
      10-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #13
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Buy a tire gauge and then you'll know what your pressures are. If you think BMW's must be hi-tech, I've got a gauge with both voice and digital output. But the main thing is that without measuring, you have no idea of what kind of pressures you are carrying as the 1 series gives only a warning, not a dash readout for each tire. (I'd also recommend a 120v compressor so that you can accurately set the pressures at home, before the tires have warmed up - they cost about $50)

Tom
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #14
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I really, really, really hope you're wrong. Sigh.

It's not a big deal. You can have it plugged in most cases, provided the puncture isn't on the sidewall.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #15
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

If BMW displayed the exact pressure in each tire, people would pitch a royal fit if one tire was 1psi off. Early E65s used to do that, and BMW programmed the feature out.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 07:28 PM   #16
1ForAllFor1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I called a BMW dealership and was told that it IS a very big deal. They told me run flats CANNOT be repaired and they must be replaced. And seeing as tires have to be replaced in twos, what's that going to put me out, $800? Sigh. This is going to end badly, I can just feel it.

UPDATE: I visited a local gas station and checked the air with the help of an attendant. He told me the tires ALL seemed slightly low, but none to a worrisome level, and indicated that there don't appear to be any nails or foreign objects imbedded. I tried the reset and got nowhere. Now what? UGGGGGGH.
      10-07-2008, 08:21 PM   #17
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

just had my tire replaced today for that problem -- good thing i had that tire protection package!

$470 for one rear tire
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #18
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I called a BMW dealership and was told that it IS a very big deal. They told me run flats CANNOT be repaired and they must be replaced. And seeing as tires have to be replaced in twos, what's that going to put me out, $800? Sigh. This is going to end badly, I can just feel it.

UPDATE: I visited a local gas station and checked the air with the help of an attendant. He told me the tires ALL seemed slightly low, but none to a worrisome level, and indicated that there don't appear to be any nails or foreign objects imbedded. I tried the reset and got nowhere. Now what? UGGGGGGH.

Ok first of all, a Run flat MOST CERTAINLY can be patched. You're being BSed by your service department for two reasons: Liability in a sue happy nation, and money on the sale of new tires.

Second, don't trust the gages at gas stations.Those things get ran over, thrown down, dropped, kicked, drop kicked....you name it. They're not even close to being a precision instrument. Go to an autoparts store and get a gage for $4 and check them yourself. The exact pressure for your car is listed inside the drivers side door jam. The monitoring systems is set to go off when the tires are around 10PSI low generally, but it might vary depending on your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #19
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
If BMW displayed the exact pressure in each tire, people would pitch a royal fit if one tire was 1psi off. Early E65s used to do that, and BMW programmed the feature out.

It's funny that BMW owners have such issues with it and GM does it on all their cars, right down to the Cobalt.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #20
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Ok first of all, a Run flat MOST CERTAINLY can be patched. You're being BSed by your service department for two reasons: Liability in a sue happy nation, and money on the sale of new tires.
If any tire -RFT or not- is run down to almost no pressure, it should be replaced. The sidewall has been compromised, and it is no longer safe to drive on. If it lost a few psi, can it be repaired? Maybe, even though most manufacturers recommend against it.

Quote:

http://www.runflat-system.com/technical_en/index.html

Q: Is it possible to repair a Run-Flat tire that has been punctured?

A: It depends on how far and at what speed the car was driven after the puncture was sustained. Repair is possible only if deemed so by the tire sales store.
Preconditions include a puncture of less than 6mm for both side-reinforced type and support-ring type Run-Flat tires, plus minimal damage to the support ring in case of the latter.
However, it is strongly recommended that the tire is replaced as its durability will have been weakened after being repaired.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 10:32 PM   #21
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
If any tire -RFT or not- is run down to almost no pressure, it should be replaced. The sidewall has been compromised, and it is no longer safe to drive on. If it lost a few psi, can it be repaired? Maybe, even though most manufacturers recommend against it.

Ok, but qualify "durability has been weakend". Does that mean that if you operate under normal circumstances that it might fail, or does it mean that the next time it goes flat and you try to drive on it it might not last as long?

The tire manufacturers are simply covering their ass with statements like that. If you're going to tell me that a run-flat tire should be replaced because I drove across town with a nail in it, I'm going tell you you're crazy.

I've been driving for nearly 20 years, and I've patched or plugged DOZENS of tires, and never had one fail after the fact. If anything a runflat should be MORE durable because of the thicker sidewalls. The danger to a normal tire is over-flexing the belts and breaking them because you're driving on the rim. That is simply not possible with a runflat. There's no good reason a run-flat tire can't be patched or plugged just like a normal tire, unless you're trying to make a buck off the replacement tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 05:38 AM   #22
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep

Have you seen what happens to a punctured run-flat when you drive on it too long? The same thing that happens to every other tire, it just takes longer. The sidewall eats itself from the inside out. Don't believe me? There's a pile of tires at work that prove my point.
Appreciate 0