BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Failed Motorcycle Skills Test!!

10-05-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Thumbs down Failed Motorcycle Skills Test!!

Well ok.. I didn't FAIL the test.. I just couldn't get it together before the test started. I signed up for a course to learn how to ride. Everything had been going great. Had a nice road ride today as well.

But when it came time to go back to the basic slow speed maneuvers, I kept messing up. The ones I'm talking about are the serpentine, 90* turns, and the circle. I know I'm supposed to counter balance more than anything else to turn the bike at these low speeds. But I kept clipping cones and occasionally putting a foot down.

Anyone have any advice for me? I'm having trouble transitioning from counter balancing one direction to another...

And sorry.. just needed a place to vent!!
      10-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

What type of bike are you riding? Size, weight, and front rake will make a huge difference. I took my test in the program's demo bikes, a little 250 Honda, it was a piece of cake. I'm sure I could squeeze by on the Duc, but I tried to make a few tight turns in my Dad's Harley and there's NO WAY IN HELL I could pass that test.

If you're on a bike with a shallow front rack (ie cruiser) tight turn-ins will be much more difficult. If you can borrow a tiny entry level bike, go for it. You may even be able to rent one for a day.

It's a tough balance between shifting weight and managing smooth throttle. If you're bike is tourquey at all, one little blip will throw off your balancing act. Practice feathering the clutch to make sure you can keep things smooth at low speeds. Shift your ass from side to side on the seat, exagerate and hang off the side. Grab a bicycle and practice these tight turns to the extreme, hanging your entire body off to the opposite side of the turn. The physics of turning in a bicycle are similar to those of a motocycle below 15 mph. (once above that, the force you apply to the fork in the motorcycle begins to inverse...that's when you 'push' right to turn right)

It's not easy, don't get discouraged. plenty of weathered riders would still struggle to pass that portion of the test. Trust yourself, when you're in the turn keep moving. You'll get it, practice practice practice.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

I've always wanted to do one. I think their about $250.00 US Dont really have any advice but good luck man!!
      10-06-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
sccooper
Registered
Rep
Drives: 06 MINI Cooper S

The bike you use can have a big affect on the test. It's funny you bring this up because I was just teaching my wife yesterday about counter steering in an empty parking lot.

When I took the class the guys on the big cruiser bikes struggled with the little figure 8 in the box badly as well. As for me, I ride a Vespa scooter so that's what they let me take the class and test on. I know that's an extreme advantage, but it's nice that they match everyone up to the type of bike they will be riding on the road later. Even still on the Vespa it took me a while and it's definitely a light bulb kind of moment when you figure out that balance of counter steering and throttle or clutch. I found yesterday my wife's biggest issue with counter steering was that she wasn't trusting that the bike would turn more if she would just keep pressing on that handlebar and giving it a little more throttle before going for the foot on the ground. Oh and keep you head up and look where you want to go. Keep practicing and you'll get it.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for the advice... I had the chance to practice the test on a 250cc sport touring bike and a cruiser.. and I actually found it easier to do the tight low speed turns on the cruiser.

I think the point about the clutch is really useful. I had trouble with the throttle, seemed to be almost unpredictable at times and would mess up the serpentine. I'll try exaggerating as well.

At speed it's simple.. I have no problem counter steering. It's just that slow speed counter balancing. Apparently the serpentine should be done properly with little to no steering input, just counter leaning. It's been frustrating!
      10-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I'm sure it is frustrating...but I'm happy to see how strict they are up there. I took the state-sponsored course when I lived in PA. It was a great course, but they passed everyone...even the cocky guy in his Road King who wrecked on his way out the parking lot and the young woman who dropped the bike spilling petrol all over the course. Heaven help them both. It's a dangerous activity, only those capable should be riding.

Like sccooper said, once you get it, you'll GET IT, it'll just click.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #7
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Oh yeah, it's strict. Throughout the 6 main skill testing areas, you can only put your foot down 4 times or hit 4 cones. Each one is a fault, and you only get four faults for the entire thing. Becomes very difficult.

Well, I'll keep at it! I can always enjoy the road with friends at the moment using my learners. I'm thinking of picking up a cheap 250cc to practice on (maybe an 07 250cc CBR?)
      10-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
don't feel bad.... i did the MSF a few years ago, and while i aced the written test, I did the low speed maneuvers perfectly but went out of bounds on the sweeping/decreasing radius turn. Think how I must feel!

I failed the road test by 2 pts...and I haven't gotten around to re-taking it.
      10-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
Severious
Private
Rep
Drives:

Did my MSF class 3 weeks ago, Had a similar issue with the low speed circle, which I put 1 foot down and went to wide on, but I was able to do all the other stuff great so I passed with like a 3-4 point margin...

Thank god........ I still have nightmares about that F@#king circle....
Black Boston Leather
Walnut Trim

Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Ipod/USB interface, Premium Audio, BMW Security System

Ordered: March 8, 2008
RE-ordered: June 20, 2008
Production complete: July 7, 2008
Delivered: August 5, 2008

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #10
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
what is the circle test you guys speak of?

We had a box text where you had to make two complete turns in a tiny box painted on the ground. If you dropped the bike in there u failed...put a foot down twice you fail.

My class of 24 only had 6 ppl complete the box test and i was one of them...
it got ugly...
      10-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #11
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
ahh nm found it on youtube...

that is all about clutch control

dont focus on your front wheel or the ground look above the handle bars and focus on the part of the circle ahead of you

good luck and ride safe
      10-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #12
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzodesh View Post
My class of 24 only had 6 ppl complete the box test and i was one of them...
it got ugly...
That sounds ridiculous. Is it common for someone never riding a motorcycle taking this course? I for one, have never been on bike. I've been on tons of bicycles and scooters though.