BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

HPFP replaced (good results), now the clutch?

Hello all,
After dealing with very long cranks and loss of power at high RPM, I finally have received a new high pressure fuel pump. The difference is dramatic, indicating the problem with the initial fuel pump must have been present from time of delivery. Now, the power delivery is much more linear and smooth. Power does not drop off at higher RPMs, and the crank-up time is nearly instantaneous.

Now I have been experiencing problems with my clutch.. a little bit of a rattle when setting off in first gear (sounds the same as when you turn the car off while in neutral--you guys know what I'm talking about!). I suspect throwout bearing. Before you skeptics jump to conclusions.. I have yet to do one burn out, and have babied the clutch. The dealership is concerned so I have booked yet another service appointment.

Seems like one thing after another. My E36 was rock solid. I have to wonder.. what's next???
      10-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

glad to hear the HPFP helped out.

I heard the same noise this morning on my way in. Was most prevalent when starting in 2nd from a slow crawl in traffic. I attributed the few instances to a slightly lugged engine, but I'll keep a closer ear on it. thanks for the post.

Agreed, the problems with the newer Bimmers, although not necessarily more frequent, are certainly more concerning than the issued I had with past models. :iono:
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

There does seem to be a decent number of reports with clutch issues. Not enough to know there is a true problem, but something to keep an eye on.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Service dept. was very concerned about this. We played around with it a bit more in the parking lot, and the mechanics can't tell where it's coming from. But it's likely clutch related. I've noticed I can replicate the sound by turning off the car in neutral. If I engage the clutch and turn off the car.. no sound. Very peculiar.

I'll keep you guys posted.