BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-19-2008, 10:40 PM   #1
imported_Optimus Prime
Rep
Drives:

Oil change and loss of throttle response

I know I've seen quite a few threads on the oil changes so far so I apologize that I might be partially repeating the same question, at least my first question anyway.

I have had the car about three to four months now and have not had the oil changed at all yet and I have about 5700 miles on the car. I guess I was sorta dumb and believed the dealership when they said you did not have to get it changed until the maintenance indicator says to. My car started out reading to get it changed at 15k miles and since then it has dropped to 9k. I know why it dropped because I drive like a maniac but what I am wanting to know is what is the possibility that I have damaged the car in some way as I have been experiencing increasing loss of power in all gears. I can be in 4th gear going about 45 to 50 mph and drop it into third and it takes a good 5 to 10 seconds before I get any acceleration out of the car. In other words the throttle response seems to have degraded considerably since I began leasing the vehicle. My Honda Civic has better throttle resonse it seems than the Bimmer does.

Anyone think that my failure to change the oil thus far is leading to my increasing loss of power?

Has anyone else out there experienced increasing lagging of the turbos since they purchased the vehicle. I had heard that the software upgrade from Dinan can decrease turbo lag but I really don't want to pay another $1-$2k and I don't really want or need the additional horsepower or torque.

Also I read another thread that had a link to a white paper of some sort that said changing synthetic oil too frequently and not allowing the oil to become "worn" a bit is worse for the car?

Thanks very much for any help anyone can give.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Welcome to 1Addicts!

Oil or the lack of a change at 5700 miles is not a problem. You may be experienceing another known issue with the N54 engine though. Does the car take a long time cranking to start? That is another symptom of a bad High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP).
      09-20-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
imported_Optimus Prime
Rep
Drives:

Very rarely does the car experience problems cranking during starting. I've had the car about 4 months now and I've only experienced it two times now.

Could the fuel pump be the culprite in terms of a loss of power after the vehicle is already started?

Oh and thanks for the welcome and the answers.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Yes, it could be a marginal HPFP but it is possible it has not been bad enough to have thrown any codes to assist the dealer in diagnostics. Might want to take it in anyway and go on record.
      09-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
imported_Optimus Prime
Rep
Drives:

Thanks a lot you helped alleviate my concerns a lot. I was thinking of taking it in anyway for an oil change just to make sure.
Appreciate 0