BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
earlyMLC
Private
Rep
Drives:

Advice for new SGM vert

Getting a new SGM 135i vert in about 3 weeks and have been thinking about how I should detail it on arrival. There seems to be quite a bit of 'Zainomania' in this forum and I am keen to try their products at some point (S5 versus S2 for SGM??). What would you do given:

- I am an amateur and never really detailed a car to the level many of you talk about (e.g. never clayed before)
- Do not want to use machinary. Hand work only.
- Want a 'wet' look to maximise the SGM appearance.
- Want to protect the soft top from day one.
- No not want to risk damage to new paint job - i.e. nervous about using abrasive polishers
- Any aussies here,... which ones are available in Australia (Zaino is)

I appreciate any help that will indoctrinate me into the detailing world and give me one more regular weekend job that will distract me from the real work around the house.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #2
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Claybar is easy, and more important than anything else. Good news is you don't have to do it very often.

Wash. Claybar. Wash. z7 with zFX. z6. z2 with zFX. z8. z2 with zFX. z8. z2 with zFX. z8. Etc. Wait 24 hours, z6, zCS. 3+ hours, once every few months to once a year depending on how dirty the car gets.

When you think it needs a boost, wash and follow with a couple layers of z2 with zFX and z6/z8. 1.5-2 hours, every 1-3 months.

Wash and apply z6/z8. 30-40mins, every 1-2 weeks.

Wipe down with z6/z8 during the week when you see bugs, bird crap, fingerprints, etc. 5-10 mins.

Once you start the regimen it is actually relatively low maintenance for how amazing your cars will look on a day to day basis.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
GigEm93
1derful
Rep
Drives: SGM 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by esses View Post
z7 with zFX. z6. z2 with zFX. z8. z2 with zFX. z8. z2 with zFX. z8. Etc. Wait 24 hours, z6, zCS. 3+ hours, once every few months to once a year depending on how dirty the car gets.
I'm guessing you meant z2 or z5 instead of that first z7 with zFX - z7 is Zaino's car wash formula.
      09-09-2008, 01:31 AM   #4
earlyMLC
Private
Rep
Drives:

Thanks all. I think I will invest in some Zaino. Do I really need Z2 as well as Z5?? Some seem to think the latter is all that is needed for dark colours like SGM. In addition, any suggestions on ragg top care?? Thanks once again.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2008, 01:40 AM   #5
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigEm93 View Post
I'm guessing you meant z2 or z5 instead of that first z7 with zFX - z7 is Zaino's car wash formula.
Yeah, that was supposed to be z5. 1 coat is perfect for sgm.

Appreciate 0