BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
1080eyes
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i vert.

removing Clear Bra

First time poster. My wife got a new AW 128i convertible, great car! I did some searching for a shop to install a clear bra, the closest one is 100 mi. away. (love bug season coming) So I decided to try and do it myself.
My question is, if i have to remove it at a later date, will it harm the fiinsh? :iono:
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
1Serious
Rep
Drives:

Clear Bra can be removed but ...

... select with care the clear bra product you use! And if you find an installer, make sure they know what there doing ... my experience was disappointing! Take a look ... http://picasaweb.google.com/Motoring2008/VentureShield#
More 135i at http://gallery.me.com/pguild8#100022
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Exact same with mine. Avoid VentureShield at all costs. 3M or nothing.
      09-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

I highly suggest you do a search on youtube and watch the pros do an install first.

Things that convinced me NOT to do it myself.

1. Ever try and ice a cake the first time? Simple right? Try it, and see what you get vs the pro's. Do you want that on your car?
2. Just 1 little defect drives me crazy. Do it yourself, and you only have yourself to blame. Get a pro to garantee perfection, and it's not, go back and have them redo it.
3. Warranty. Get it in writing exactly what is covered. If you buy and install yourself, I can almost garantee every flaw will be blamed on install, not the material.

If I was to do my 1 myself. I would do this... try it on another older car first. Use bulk material.

In the end... I just do not see how it's a DIY first time. If you were able to be trained, like joining a photoclub... I could see it working. If there was "classes" I could see it working... If you could do it in small sections, I could see it working. The truth is, it's like trying to tape a box with box tape, get zero bubbles, zero streaks, lign it up perfectly... you see why I did not do it?

The only way I could see this done, is if there was a group with a "teacher" standing by to jump in at the moment of having a problem. Then maybe.

This is why they charge so much... after all it's only a thin sheet of plastic.

BTW I got mine done at the dealership. I soooo wish I had not done that. Advice; Find out in your area who the very best applier/artists are... get them to quote you. As a bunch of questions, get the warranty in writing. Make sure they will be around in 2-3 years. And go for it.

Oh on that note, I have not too much research, but I was shown by a guy who I met at "not every1 gets it" that a good install is when they go over the round part of the hood, go into the inner part where the grill is etc. My job does not have all that. Oh and back of mirror? Don't get me started!!! LOL make sure it's a 1 piece on back of whole mirror... I am told it's damn hard to do. (or you get whissles)

Hope that helps convince you what to do.

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 07:45 AM   #5
1080eyes
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i vert.

thanks for the advice. I will leave it to the pros.
Has anyone had a good install in Alabama or the Pan handle of Florida?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 08:34 AM   #6
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

I agree 100%, 3m or nothing. The shop i had my done at had a porsche in for a clear bra removal. The porsche had a cheap clear bra put on 2 years ago and the clear bra was completely cracked and wrinkled and was near impossible to remove. 3m all the way.

As far as removing the clear bra if you mess up, it will come over easily with a hairdryer especially if freshly installed.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 10:49 PM   #7
weathergrl
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Exact same with mine. Avoid VentureShield at all costs. 3M or nothing.
+1
      09-20-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
J312
Monster of the Midway
Rep
Drives: 128i

I had the dealer install the BMW clear bra, which i had to have redone because it was only a partial bumper. I took it to a 3M certified guy and it turned out awesome. When he took off the old stuff he started pulling, it did not harm the paint or finish at all.
Appreciate 0