BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
Kokanator135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: seeking m240i

Out-of towner in Northern VA 9/5-9/8

I'm coming in from Pittsburgh on Friday thru Monday. Keep an eye out for an AW 135 with PA plates in Vienna in northern VA. I heard that radar detectors are illegal there and the cops are total dicks. Any confirmation....anything else I should know about??:iono:
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
one 35i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSM/terra

Angry

If you speed and they see a detector you will get a ticket!! There is no forgiveness------fromone who knows..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Hide the detector. Stick with traffic. VA is bad but MD is worse. Watch for unmarked Chargers and Mustangs around Baltimore.

You'll likely hit lots of rain from Gustav. I grew up in Philly metro traffic, but Norther Virginians (no offense to natives) struggle with driving in general, and in foul weather, it's a crap shoot...snow is downright comical.

They tail WAY too close, don't pay attention, cut you off, and can't handle their huge vehicles. I can't emphasize enough to increase following distance. Drivers will insist you speed up to close the gap, cut in front of you, or even flick you off, but just stay back. That practice has saved me from getting rear ended countless times. Your 1er can stop MUCH quicker than most vehicles on the road, the guy behind you, leaving no more than 5 feet will inevitably run up your ass if you're forced to stop quickly.

Safe travels, enjoy the trip.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit1 View Post
Hide the detector. Stick with traffic. VA is bad but MD is worse. Watch for unmarked Chargers and Mustangs around Baltimore.

You'll likely hit lots of rain from Gustav. I grew up in Philly metro traffic, but Norther Virginians (no offense to natives) struggle with driving in general, and in foul weather, it's a crap shoot...snow is downright comical.

They tail WAY too close, don't pay attention, cut you off, and can't handle their huge vehicles. I can't emphasize enough to increase following distance. Drivers will insist you speed up to close the gap, cut in front of you, or even flick you off, but just stay back. That practice has saved me from getting rear ended countless times. Your 1er can stop MUCH quicker than most vehicles on the road, the guy behind you, leaving no more than 5 feet will inevitably run up your ass if you're forced to stop quickly.

Safe travels, enjoy the trip.
Driving in N.Va. is like driving in Italy. Speed limits are a joke, people drive like they don't give a crap about their or others' cars, and as above, can't seem to follow the turns in the road unless they're 6 feet from the person ahead. Forget about the passing lane concept here too!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
zivilyn861
*void
Rep
Drives: 135i

If you're driving in Vienna proper and the speed limit is 25 miles an hour, do not exceed 25 miles an hour. Their speed limits (particularly on 123) are ludicrously low, and the police take full advantage of it.

VA police are notorious sticklers for things such as changing lanes without signaling (which, in some contexts, I believe can be deemed 'reckless driving'), and are generally very difficult.

In their defense, however, drawing from comments above, people here are ALWAYS more important than you, and it's YOUR fault for being in their way. I'm sure I'd be a little bitter if I had to deal with these people day in and day out.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
TakeOne
Just1MoreMod
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F48 X1

stay away from fairfax like the plague!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #7
C6H12O6
Banned