BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-29-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
UR2SLOW1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Battery Tender Question

I've started to baby my 135i now and only drive it on weekends so I plan on hooking up the Battery Tender during the week. I spoke with my local BMW service dept and they said to connect the Tender under the hood to the "jump" points, does anyone know if this is correct ?? Seems strange to charge the battery the entire length of the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #2
TPLSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Porsche GT4

I've done it that way before in my E36 M3 with clamp style tender. BMW actually offers a nice battery tender that will plug into the cigar/auxillary outlet as well that I've used before. I prefer the cigar/aux. outlet style as it's one less step of going under the hood....not to mention my wife can disconnect it if she's going to use the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPLSM3 View Post
I've done it that way before in my E36 M3 with clamp style tender. BMW actually offers a nice battery tender that will plug into the cigar/auxillary outlet as well that I've used before. I prefer the cigar/aux. outlet style as it's one less step of going under the hood....not to mention my wife can disconnect it if she's going to use the car.
The cig/aux power is no longer live when the car is shut down. The battery tender with the cig/aux adapter is for is for the E46 and earlier. You will need a battery tender with clamps for the E9x and E8x cars.

If you already have a tender with the cig/aux adapter you can get this to make it into a clamp style. That is what I did as I have the cig/aux version I used with my old E36.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2103589&cp

With the clamps, you can attached directly to the battery or the posts under the hood. Much easier to go with the posts under the hood. That is what I do.
Appreciate 0