BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-18-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
bimmerman
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Best method for drying?

Maybe this is a question that's been beaten to death, but I just can't seem to figure out what to do. So far I've only tried drying by hand with microfiber towels... then I tried out the Mr. Clean Autodry method and then following up by a quick towel wipe down. But of course, I can't get into all the crevices of the car... and all the water flies out when I drive, and leaves water spots and streaks. I've been reading that alot of people use a leaf blower (~225? mph). I've also read that some people use a wet/dry vac on a blow setting to get the hiding water out. But with either method, I'm just paranoid that little pieces of debris/gravel will enter the stream and scratch the clear coat.

And I have it in black, so... spots really scream at you =(

Any insight would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 11:17 PM   #2
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

After I wash I use the "Sheet" method with the hose to get most of the water beads off.

Then I use a large microfiber towel and lightly dry the car. Next I'll take a leaf blower and blow all the water from the trim/wheels/lower door jams.

Touch up with the microfiber.

Next, drive around the neighborhood and clear water from brakes/wheels....ect.

Finally, I use a spray detailer(Zaino) and go over the whole car one final time.

Yes, it sounds like a lot.....but the end result is well worth it!!

I've tried drying the car with just the leaf blower, however, its just to hot!! (AZ temp. 90 plus, even when the sun is going down)The water will blow off the car, however, some little tiny drops will still be on the paint, if you don't dry them with a towel, they will immediatly dry and spot. So, I've resorted back to the microfiber towel, then the leaf blower for the hidden water.
      08-19-2008, 01:13 AM   #3
Bizall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0

Yea, sheet method here as well. Get's most of the water off.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 02:25 AM   #4
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Sheet method??? WTH is that?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 03:17 AM   #5
Bizall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0

Take any attachment off the hose, and the let the water "sheet" off the car from top to bottom. Don't spray it on, just let the water pour on the car. Works like a champ.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizall View Post
Take any attachment off the hose, and the let the water "sheet" off the car from top to bottom. Don't spray it on, just let the water pour on the car. Works like a champ.
Ah..ok now I understand. Thought I was missing something...didnt know there was an "official" word for the technique...LOL:iono: Thanks for the explanation!:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 08:05 AM   #7
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL135I View Post
After I wash I use the "Sheet" method with the hose to get most of the water beads off.

Then I use a large microfiber towel and lightly dry the car. Next I'll take a leaf blower and blow all the water from the trim/wheels/lower door jams.

Touch up with the microfiber.

Next, drive around the neighborhood and clear water from brakes/wheels....ect.

Finally, I use a spray detailer(Zaino) and go over the whole car one final time.

Yes, it sounds like a lot.....but the end result is well worth it!!

I've tried drying the car with just the leaf blower, however, its just to hot!! (AZ temp. 90 plus, even when the sun is going down)The water will blow off the car, however, some little tiny drops will still be on the paint, if you don't dry them with a towel, they will immediatly dry and spot. So, I've resorted back to the microfiber towel, then the leaf blower for the hidden water.
+1,
Exactly what I do. Only diff is I use my shop vac blower right after sheeting. NY is a little cooler than AZ:biggrin:
BTW,..the Big Blue Waffle weave drying towels work great!!!

I think we have issues,..If I see a water spot on the car,..I immediately reach for the speed shine.
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmallstii View Post
+1,
Exactly what I do. Only diff is I use my shop vac blower right after sheeting. NY is a little cooler than AZ:biggrin:
BTW,..the Big Blue Waffle weave drying towels work great!!!

I think we have issues,..If I see a water spot on the car,..I immediately reach for the speed shine.

Ahhh, nice to see another 1ADDICT:biggrin: like myself:headbang:...... I hate water spots!!!
      08-19-2008, 09:32 PM   #9
crxb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2002

I usually wash my car either early (cooler) or just before it gets dark (again cooler) ,

but more importantly the sun is lower in the sky and less likely to cause spots on my

car (black)

To dry it - I just drive it up a nearby street at about 35 mph

most of the water is blown off

And then I just wipe down what little is left with a towel

- what I like about this method - is most of the water blows off and better yet the water that would get trapped (and then spot later as it seeps out) is blown off too
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep

Problem w/ Driving a wet car is any dust thrown up on it while driving(The rear end especially) gets trapped in what water is left, and could lead to spider scratches when you towel it off after?
I have notced that alot of dust collects on the rear of the 1'ers after even a short drive. Thats Why I blow it off w/ the leaf / shop vac blower.

This is just me being WAY too anal about stuff,..but it's my 2 cents.
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 03:29 PM   #11
Jack (LA)
Private
Rep
Drives:

For the ultimate -- Sheet method along with ... http://crspotless.com/

Works great...you never have to touch the paint with a drying microfiber/towel. Costco was selling their units recently.
      08-20-2008, 04:33 PM   #12
Bdh821
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

leaf blower ftw! Then touch up with microfiber cloth and meguires final inspection if need be
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #13
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Griots large drying towel. It has pockets for your hands and will dry the whole car without wringing it out. Then of course ... the magic liquid. >> Speedshine.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 07:45 AM   #14
Lexington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Blue Water

Wink

Water spots? Don't have those on blue water paint. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 08:05 AM   #15
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I sheet the water, then I use an Absorber PVA drying cloth. They sell them at Target and it is smooth and soft and will absord the heck out of th ewater. It can go into crevices very easily as well and will wick the water out of there.

THen I usually try not to drive the car for an hour or two if I can help it and it gives time for concealed water to dry up.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 08:09 AM   #16
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
Water spots? Don't have those on blue water paint. :wink:
Depends where you live - harder water gives more mineral spots.

I just use an ordinary 100% cotton towel or two to dry off after washing, starting from the roof and working down. Then I get under the trunk lid, in the trough where water will continue to seep down onto the bumper.

Having a good protectant/sealant like ZAINO also means that the water mostly runs off anyway, as the paint acts like it has teflon on it.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 07:14 AM   #17
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiberglass View Post
This is how I dry mine.

As of right now I'm just using old towels. What is everyone consensus on the waffle towels? Any other suggestions for drying towels?
Waffle Weave Towels are great.
I bought a Big Blue Waffle weave drying towel and was so impressed, I bought 2 more.
You can almost get through drying the entire car without wringing it out. (And thats without using a squeegie it or blowing off the excess water)
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #18
jrc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Waffle towels, microfiber towels etc. are all fine. Main thing is only use clean towels and use plenty of them. Also, make sure to never place or drop them on the ground where they'll pick up dirt. And wash them (the towels) after every wash. And after the towels I also use the leaf blower method followed by a final towel touch-up.
      09-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #19
2AD Tanker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Black Sapphire Metallic

I do a final rinse with the sheet method, hit it with the California water blade and go over with a Chamois for the hard to reach areas and lastly hit it with the Quik Detailer and a micro fiber cloth.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 02:17 PM   #20
roldan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

I've found Mr. Clean AutoDry to work really well so long as you take your time with the final step with the deionized water.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #21
jrc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Advanced Auto (and probably any similar in your area) sells microfiber towels by the bundle for < $10