BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-18-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
dlihcraw
Rep
Drives:

Angry A Vegas disaster story of the cleaning sort

So two weekends ago, instead of heading directly back from Vegas I decided to swing by the Hoover dam. Since I was already SE of Vegas, I figured instead of heading NW back through Vegas only to head south again, that I'd take 95 and then 164 back to the 15. Scenic, right?

Well, I got to 164 and about 2 miles in traffic is stopped dead. Ahead you could see road crews doing something. Some 45 minutes later they let us pass, albeit very slowly. It looked liked they were repaving and they had laid down gravel as the first layer. Going no more than 15 (much to the disappointment of the drivers behind me), I avoided all but one rock to my windshield.

I thought I was home free.

About 30-45 minutes later I am cruising back on the 15 and the ride quality is noticeably different. I pull off in Baker to take a look and as I'm pulling into the gas station with my windows down, all I can hear is things falling off the underside of my vehicle, clanging against various metal bits. Stop car, get out. THOSE JERKS HAD PUT TAR ON THAT GRAVEL. The entire underside of my car was littered with tar covered rocks that managed to weasel their way into all manner of unpleasant places. Now that they had started to fall off, turning, stopping or movements of the suspension resulted in a painful symphony.

Long story short, after nearly an hour with a hose and a stick I managed to remove all the gravel from the shock towers and various bits of running gear and got the vehicle safe for travel.

Now, nearly a week later, I still have to spend an hour or so after work with some tar remover tediously removing bits of tar that had splatter all over the car. The rims a different story and will need to be taken off to be completely cleaned.

Unfortunately in this case, what happened in Vegas definitely did not stay in Vegas.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 08:10 AM   #2
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

OUCH!!! Man that Sucks!!! Tar encrusted Gravel.
Hope you find a good tar remover!

I had sort of a similiar exp w/ a road crew. They were spraying white lines on the side of the road as they allowed traffic to go by. Since they had cones up all over, it didnt leave me much room to swerve away from them.
Bottom line,..I get home and notice small white specs on the nose and mirrors of the car. Nothing too horrible, but a Pain in the A$$ nonetheless.
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
holo777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i Conv

I feel your pain, but didn't get it near as bad! We were heading up a nice mountain road, only to come across a "Loose Gravel" sign. It looks like the put the tar down long enough before hand that none of the stuff stuck to the car though.

Esmallstii: I recommend using a clay bar to remove the paint spots. vbmenu_register("postmenu_222592", true);
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 11:13 PM   #4
dlihcraw
Rep
Drives:

pictures added

Finally acquired a jack to remove the wheels and get 'em cleaned. Took over 2 hours and 3 bottles of tar remover. I also lowered the front plastic tray to remove several pounds of tar covered rocks.

:eyebulge:
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 11:32 PM   #5
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Faaaark. :eyebulge::eyebulge: I have never seen such a bad case a sticky tarred rock syndrome, that's bad. Real bad. Poor you.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 12:42 AM   #6
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Thats not a first layer, a cheap way of fixing a road is they lay gravel and spray tar in it, then they use the public to push it down. After its compact enough, they have a street sweeper come by and pick the excess rocks up. It doesn't really fix potholes because it just puts a layer over it, and it just makes a groove in the road where people drive. They end up coming apart real fast again and they will probably just do another half ass job.
That is a lot of rocks you collected though, I feel your pain, as its being done in a pass over here.
Appreciate 0