BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-13-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
jgprather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

First wash...nervous!

This is my first black car. I took Performance Delivery last Thursday and haven't gotten to wash the car since because it's been raining all the time. This car's seen more rain than road!

The rain will be gone soon, so it's time for a good wash.

Now, I'm assuming it was waxed before I took delivery. Do I need to wax it again? I hear talk on here about "sealant." Do I need to seal the paint?

I bought a new chenille sponge and some finishing cloths. I have 2 large microfiber towels that I've had for maybe a year, but have only been used 4-5 times. Should I replace those as well? I read that I can help prevent swirl marks by washing in a vertical, not circular, motion. True? And I've read that I can coat the wheels in wax to lessen brake dust build-up?

I guess I just need some first-time wash advice for you fellow black car owners.

Thanks a bunch!
BMW CCA member #409683

cystic fibrosis survivor, bilateral lung transplant recipient, cancer fighter. Never give up!

Co-founder and Creative Director, The Big Fun Foundation
Please visit, www.thebigfunbox.org
Making fun contagious.®
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

I would stay away from the sponge. I would recommend a Sheepskin Wash mit (Not a synthetic/fake sheepskin). I would use a couple wash mits. One for the top/hood/trunk/ and upper portion of the doors. One for the Nose/rear bumper and lower side skirts of the car. For drying I would recommend buying the large Microfiber towels from Target, (I have 4 that I use for drying only). When drying don't use any pressure. Just glide the towel over the car.

Finally, finish with a good spray detailer and microfiber. This is not required but will add a nice shine.

As for a wax/sealant, this is your choice. For something simple, I would recommend NXT 2.0. Very easy to use and will give good protection.

For serious detailing, look into the Zaino line.
      08-13-2008, 10:23 PM   #3
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Wheels can be waxed, however with regular driving and hard breaking they will get dirty pretty fast. I use Eagle One All Wheel cleaner in the aerosol can, works good. You will have to scrub the wheels, I would recommend a microfiber dedicated for the Wheels only, not your wash mit.
      08-13-2008, 11:32 PM   #4
04Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Cpe

I hesitate giving advice because black is so hard to keep clean or not to get swirl marks.

My Jet Black 1-series is about about 3 months old. I found out that none of the detail products I used on my other cars were suited for Jet Black.

Which ever wax or sealent product you choose try it on a test area and check out the results in different light to see if you are satisfied.

I made a few poor choices that actually put swirl marks in my paint. I bought some Menzerna Final Polish II that corrected my mistakes.

Another member on this site sum it up well....

"You are always going to have swirl marks, just farting next to a Jet Black BMW will cause a swirl mark."

One tip I can give you is to carry a bird poop kit with you. Every time you get in your car check for any bird poop and remove it right away as it will etch your paint and is difficult to polish out. Jet Black shows everything.

Also not all microfiber towels are the same, buy quality towels from an auto detailing store.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 07:01 AM   #5
Justin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Make sure you use two buckets... one for soaping up your wash mitt, and the other for rinsing it off. You don't want to transfer the dirt you just wiped off back into the clean soap bucket, otherwise the dirt will end up back on the car and micro-mar the paint.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 07:36 AM   #6
JTdrivin1
1 Love
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

biggest thing for a black car is to wash fore/aft, not in circles. and a good microfibre wash mit definitely helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
BMW_x5_Msport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5f15

yeah black its real hard to keep clean and You are always going to have swirl marks but not big bad one that you can see from fare if you follow what everyone said so fare good advice guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 10:08 AM   #8
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

The Answer, my friends - is ZAINO.

Simply put - it is like protecting your car with a coat of Teflon. Do a search and read some of the posts. I have Jet Black with no swirl marks after 4 months.

Apply Z5, Z2 and CS - these are Zaino code words - check out the Zainostore.com web site - I got the kit for about $120 - it has everything you need.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL135I View Post
Wheels can be waxed, however with regular driving and hard breaking they will get dirty pretty fast. I use Eagle One All Wheel cleaner in the aerosol can, works good. You will have to scrub the wheels, I would recommend a microfiber dedicated for the Wheels only, not your wash mit.
If you use a good wheel wax once the wheels are clean you won't have to worry about special cleaners and scrubbing.

If I'm busy I sometimes let a bit too much break dust build up but a quick rinse with a high pressure hose removes virtually all of it. The little that remains wipes right off with soap and water when I next wash the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 10:56 PM   #10
jgprather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post

Simply put - it is like protecting your car with a coat of Teflon. Do a search and read some of the posts. I have Jet Black with no swirl marks after 4 months.

Apply Z5, Z2 and CS - these are Zaino code words - check out the Zainostore.com web site - I got the kit for about $120 - it has everything you need.
Thanks for your advice everyone.

I'm a little hesitant to spend that amount right now. But how many washes can I get out of the kit?
BMW CCA member #409683

cystic fibrosis survivor, bilateral lung transplant recipient, cancer fighter. Never give up!

Making fun contagious.®
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 07:38 AM   #11
BMW_x5_Msport
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

did you do it by hand?:iono:
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 07:50 AM   #12
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgprather View Post
Thanks for your advice everyone.

I'm a little hesitant to spend that amount right now. But how many washes can I get out of the kit?
The kit gives you the protection for the paint - it should last about for about two years - if you do it three or four times per year.

I use a Carnuba Wax gel car wash product from Simoniz - for about $12 for a years supply. I apply a tablespoon directly to a microfiber wash mitt (rinsed with cold water), Then I wet the car down, and wash with the mitt. Since ZAINO is a protective covering on the car, it is like you are washing a teflon coated fry pan. So it takes no effort at all to wash the car and everything comes right off.

Then I wash the wheels with a sponge with some of the wash from the microfiber mitt (rinsing it off) - since I also treat the wheels with ZAINO - the brake dust comes right off as well. It is simple, easy and takes me only 15 minutes for a wash and cotton towel dry (to avoid water spots). A ZAINO treatment takes about 3 hours from start to finish three times per year.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 07:52 AM   #13
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rems09135i View Post
did you do it by hand?:iono:
Yes - the kit comes with some microfiber application pads. ZAINO is incredibly easy to apply - no machines needed. If you can tie your own shoes, you can apply ZAINO. Just follow the directions.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #14
BMW_x5_Msport
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes - the kit comes with some microfiber application pads. ZAINO is incredibly easy to apply - no machines needed. If you can tie your own shoes, you can apply ZAINO. Just follow the directions.
:w00t:
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 08:06 AM   #15
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I second the ZAINO movement. My old E46 was jet black, loved the look (but I'll never do it again). I tried every product out there, from orbital to high speed buffers, nothing brought the shine and hid swirls like ZAINO, worth every penny. You'll save so much time, agreed, if you can tie your shoes or wipe your own ass you can apply Zaino.

I found it doesn't mix well with some microfibers, I'd follow thier suggestion and stick with 100% cotton, don't skimp on low quality applicators. They also give good advice, supporting the fore/aft suggestion, tiny scratches are inevitable, circular scratches are viewable from 360 degrees, linear scratches are viewable from fewer angles.

Also, use multiple wash mits/towels. One for top half, one for bottom half with road grime. Always work top to bottom.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 10:06 PM   #16
jgprather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Well, I did it! Washed my 1er for the first time. Went fine! Lambswool mitt, microfiber towels, 2 buckets and a prayer. Looks like I avoided any mishaps. Unfortunately, found a few tiny tiny chips, but I can accept that.

One wash down, hundreds to go!
BMW CCA member #409683

Making fun contagious.®
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 07:34 AM   #17
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgprather View Post
Well, I did it! Washed my 1er for the first time. Went fine! Lambswool mitt, microfiber towels, 2 buckets and a prayer. Looks like I avoided any mishaps. Unfortunately, found a few tiny tiny chips, but I can accept that.

One wash down, hundreds to go!
Have your dealer fix the chips, or at least get the bottle of touch up paint, fill the chips sparingly (ie don't use too much) and they won't be noticable. You don't want them starting to rust.
Appreciate 0