BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
tonytigerking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Seattle/Bellevue police and front plate enforcement

Well, these past few days I've been debating whether to mount the front plate on the car. The 135i is my daily commute car, so the chance of me getting caught without the front plate is much higher than some that only use it for weekend joy ride. I have never drove a car without the front plate before, so I just want to know what other people in the area that have some experience with this know about the how often the cops in the area pull people over on this.
I really don't want to put front plate on this car.... but I hate getting harassed by cops more.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 12:26 AM   #2
40-n-8
Private
Rep
Drives:

I am currently running without a plate on the front. Because I'm thinking about it, I've begun to take note of how many cars don't have front plates and there are a lot. So, in my unscientific reasoning, I'm thinking that if enforcement was really strict I wouldn't see so many cars without front plates.

I've just about guaranteed I get pulled over tomorrow, so I'll stop there.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 03:59 AM   #3
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
While my car is a front-plateless weekend-warrior, I do carry concern about it whenever I'm out, during everyday driving I have been noticing how many cars wear no front plate, here in southern Oregon there are many.

40-n-8, you are so getting pulled over tomorrow.:wink:

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I don't wanna ruin the look of my car's front. I'm not drilling holes in my front bumper, I'm rolling the dice and playing dumb and pointing the finger at the dealership : )

"officer I bought it brand new from the dealership I never thought they would not follow the law and provide me with a front plate I apologize I'm going their right away to get it fix have a good day oh again thanks for informing me : ) " proceed to break rubber and go home

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
tonytigerking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker View Post
I don't wanna ruin the look of my car's front. I'm not drilling holes in my front bumper, I'm rolling the dice and playing dumb and pointing the finger at the dealership : )

"officer I bought it brand new from the dealership I never thought they would not follow the law and provide me with a front plate I apologize I'm going their right away to get it fix have a good day oh again thanks for informing me : ) " proceed to break rubber and go home
Have you been stopped because of the lack of the front plate yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Nope but I have my story all ready to go

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
Templedogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, Trailblazer SS, 1934 PU

I don't run one and it will take at least two tickets to put one on. If you are not speeding or giving the officer a reason to pull you over...I doubt you will ever be pulled over just for no plate.
      07-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
tonytigerking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templedogg View Post
I don't run one and it will take at least two tickets to put one on. If you are not speeding or giving the officer a reason to pull you over...I doubt you will ever be pulled over just for no plate.
Lol, easier said than done. I got pull over just 3 days ago. Was on the way to Monroe for a meeting, and had a stretch of highway with very little traffic in the morning..... next thing you know, was speeding and got pulled over.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 12:54 PM   #9
trashcan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I purchased a used car in Washington that had no front plates. I had no idea it was required until 3 years later when it was tacked onto a parking ticket (in Seattle).
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #10
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

I installed these brackets to avoid drilling holes in my front bumper:

http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.htm
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMc View Post

I have this bracket as well and it is great.

As far as getting pulled over for only the front plate missing, well, you would be surprised at how many people get pulled over for this. That being said, on the weekends the plate is off:thumbup:
| Alpine White | Coral | Gloss Black | Paddles | Sport | Comfort | Heated Seats | I-Pod | Performance Rotors | Shadowline Grill | GB E-Brake | GB Gear Selector | 35% Tint | BMS Intake | GP Thunders | Debaged | Bimmian Black Roundels |
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 12:56 AM   #12
Ty Vil
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M4

In both Washington and Oregon a front plate is required. Not having one is just asking to be pulled over.

Consider this scenario:
You're out on a date or with some friends and have had 2 or 3 cocktails/beers. While you're fine to drive and are not impaired in any way do you really want to get pulled over and have a discussion with a member of law enforcement? That discussion of "I pulled you over for no front license plate" quickly turns into "have you had anything to drink tonight, please step out of the car." Even if I've only had a half a beer; that's not a discussion I want to enter into.

I against my own wishes have a front plate.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 08:20 PM   #13
Rearro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135I

Fix it on NO LIC. But he got me anyways!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templedogg View Post
Templedogg, I too thought if you are not doing anything wrong they will just ignore you!............ Well, throw that out the window!!

This morning I stopped for my morning coffee and then proceeded to Mc D's for a Breakfast sandwich. As I drive out of the McD's drive thru and head towards the exit this yahoo decides to flip an Illegal U turn and causes me to Stop and give him the right of way. OK Fine no road rage and I get behind him. As we approach the intersection (100ft or so) the Yahoo quickly turns into a strip mall and I see a Motorcycle cop on the other side of the street going in the opposite direction than me, he passes and Flips a U turn just like the Yahoo did a few seconds earlier. I'm at a red light and turn on my blinker to turn right in the rear view mirror and he turns on his blinker as the light turns green and I proceed to make my right hand turn he lights me up like a Christmas Tree!!!!.
I pulled in to the strip mall and he come up to me and Says, " I was wondering where your front plate is? " SO I responded that the bracket was on back order and I've yet to get it from the dealer. He tells me that in the state of Wa. dealers are required to put the bracket on before delivering the the car to you.
I said that I knew that but this was a new Model to the US and that the parts are just not Avail. He says Hmmm. " Licensed and registration and proof of Ins. I give him all my Stuff and asks me if I'm still at the same Address and I said no I recently moved, he says
how long ago and I tell him about the same time I got the car and he goes back to his bike.............. I see him writing up the citation..... he come back and tells me " I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the License Plate, But in the State of Washington you have 10 days from when you move to Update your address with the Dept of Licensing. SO HERE YOU GO IT"LL BE $124.00
you have 20 days to fix your plate issue and get your Address changed.

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #14
Rearro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I found this!!
View Video on FQuick

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #15
tonytigerking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Wow, he makes a U turn just to get you... Must really love his job.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 09:00 PM   #16
Rearro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yup, Kitsap County Sheriff

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #17
tonytigerking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMc View Post

Would the double-sided tapes hold, or do you actually need to drill into the bumper?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 09:53 PM   #18
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep

Skeene with tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytigerking View Post
Would the double-sided tapes hold, or do you actually need to drill into the bumper?
I drilled the underside of the bumper for these brackets. It would be very difficult to see these holes unless you were underneath the car.

I don't think the double sided tape on the Skeene brackets would be sufficient by itself. Double sided tape was used for the front European plate when I picked up the car at the Welt in Munich.

I'm keeping an eye out for your car on the Island.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #19
tonytigerking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

If you go to the QFC on the south end of the island, you probably will see my car once in a while
I got the gominigo screwless front plate bracket, but its off-center look seems kind of weird. That, and it is very easy for people to steal your front plate....
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 05:42 AM   #20
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
When you get pulled-over, never forget there are but three proper responses;

1) "Good morning officer, how can I help you?"

2) "Good afternoon officer, how can I help you?"

3) "Good evening officer, how can I help you?"

Those are the ONLY responses you should ever consider offering any Law-Enforcement officer, otherwise, you might receive an automatic infraction. Is attitude really worth it? A little respect goes a long way, much like @ 1ADDICTS.:wink::biggrin:Ironically, one of my dearest friends is a cop, he appreciates, and, more importantly respects motorists who respect him.

These guys put their life on the line every day for less money than most of us gross. Give em' a break. Like you guys, I drive plateless, dread being cited, but, please, consider their plight, having to deal with drunken, white-trash, domestic disputes, every frickin' day...give em' a little respect. Thanks. Remember the 3 responses, they shall serve you well...

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2008, 11:11 PM   #21
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytigerking View Post
If you go to the QFC on the south end of the island, you probably will see my car once in a while
I got the gominigo screwless front plate bracket, but its off-center look seems kind of weird. That, and it is very easy for people to steal your front plate....
We normally shop at the north end QFC though we like the Japanese restaurant at the south end QFC shopping center.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2008, 11:05 PM   #22
tonytigerking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

So, Rearro, are you putting up the front plate now? I put in order for the Skene Design bracket. I just hope it looks ok. MerlinMC, would you put up some pics of how it looks on your car?
Appreciate 0