BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-25-2008, 01:40 AM   #1
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Insurance for track days?

Has anyone here ever taken out a "track day insurance policy"? I'm taking my new 135i to a BMWCCA performance driving school this weekend and I just now thought to check on my insurance coverage. Unfortunately my Progressive policy specifically excludes accidents on a "racetrack". So if something should go wrong I may be completely screwed.

So I did a Google search on the likelihood of that happening and I ran across some links to companies who offer special track day insurance policies. However most, if not all, of them seem to be in the UK. So I'm not sure if they're even available in the US, or if they're necessary.

So is this sort of insurance recommended? And if so does anyone know of a good company to use to get it?

Dan
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Im no expert but i believe you have to be in a competitive timed event for your normal insurance not to apply. A performance driving school should not be a problem since your not competing nor is it a timed event
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Last summer I did the GM Rev It Up event, which is touted as "the World's Largest Performance Driving School". I remember at the event, there was some buzz going around about trying to get insurance discounts for doing the event, since it is technically a "driving school." If they like it when you attend traffic school, they should like it when you attend driving school. Definitely worth looking into! It seems like a stretch to us since we know what we're doing with the cars, but to the less-informed, who knows?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
Feffman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Contact WSIB Insurance (www.WSIBInsurance.com/de) for details on their on-track insurance program.

Feff
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
Canexican
Closet N54 Fan
Rep
Drives:

I've got Cross-Your-Fingers Insurance. Its been pretty reliable so far .
Stock Turbo. Stock Cams. E85 Powered. Tuned by JSDyno.com
Sweet vids of my car kicking ass...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 12:21 AM   #6
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

If you are with the BMW CCA (and couple of other approved clubs such as PCA) you can non-competitive event (i.e. driving school) insurance. Details here:
http://www.justracing.com/features/2...rack_insurance

The cost depends on the value of your car, but assuming you own a stock 135i with some options, figure $250-300 to insure it for the school.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 06:37 AM   #7
Feffman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaccaro View Post
if it's a non-competitive event, shoudn't your regular insurance cover it?
MVACCARO:

Most car insurers are amending, or have amended, their policies to exclude any accidents on a racing surface. It depends on your insurance carrier and, to some extent, where you live. I've even heard stories (2nd hand mind you) some people have even been dropped by their carrier because they called to ask about coverage at a track day. Read your policy!

Feff
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
Lexington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Blue Water

Agree. You have to read your individual policy, in particular the exclusions. For example, one company that I'm familiar with excludes any loss while the vehicle is being operated in, or in practice for, any driving contest or challenge. Then I needed to look at the definitions section to see how "driving contest or challenge" is defined. It is defined at a competition against other people, vehicles, or time; or an activity that challeneges the speed or handling characteristics of a vehicle, or improves or demonstrates driving skills, provided the activity occurs on a track or course that is closed from non-participants.

So, it seems if you challenge the speed or handling characteristics of your car on a closed course or track where it is safer you are not covered but if you do it on the open roads you are covered?
Appreciate 0