BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-12-2008, 11:34 PM   #1
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Opinions/Thoughts 135i vs TT/S

Hi all

I'm fairly new to this forum and am very keen on the new 135i :smile:

It is on my short list for a new car to be primarily used as an everyday ride (not weekend car only) as I have many others I use for weekend/hobby use.

In short, at the top of that list for some time now have been both the BMW 135i and Audi TT - with regards to the TT, I was always only really interested in the upcoming new TT/S and TT/RS.

The TT/S is now around the corner and will be priced around 80k base price...

Most of you will probably know all the differences between the 2, so I was wanting to see what people here thought of it - if at all and how you would compare it to a 135i...

The main points I like about it are: All wheel drive, beautiful exterior and interior look and build quality, high tech build with mostly aluminium body and excellent efficiency for the power and performance on tap.

The main points I like about the 135i are: also beautiful exterior and interior (but not as good as the Audi IMO) blistering power/performance straight out of the box and more affordable than the Audi.

Also did anyone else here consider between these 2 when looking at buying their 135i ?? :smile:
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 11:44 PM   #2
farug55
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

i must say i had been considering the TT for a long time. My friend has the 2.0T, but wen i drove it i felt it was rather slow. i love how it looks, but i think i personally lyk the 135i. It has more usable rear seat. I'm 6'2" n felt i was rather crammy in the drivers seat as well. I believe but am not exactly sure that the fuel consumption on the 1er will be less and of course the torque curve will not compare.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
Blacky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

When are the new 4 cyl performance TT's coming out and how much?
The GF wants one, but I am not so sure?
They are a bit like the current mini, base price is low but by the time you make the car half way decent you end up with a large bill!!!

I guess other than outright speed (coorection - the little bugger is fast in a straight line 0 - 100 in 5.2), and the doors the main difference is going to be the drive front wheel or 4 wheel drive versus a traditional front engine rear wheel drive
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 12:06 AM   #4
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

So that people know, I'm referring to the TT/S model - not the current TT :smile:

The TT/S is arriving soon and features an uprated 200kw/350nm 2.0ltr turbo and an AWD system, which is different to the previously used 4 motion set up on these cars and of course features the DSG, which is a true automated manual, ie: not a traditional stall converter equipped auto.

It's said to do 0-100km/h in 5.2 and returns a combined usage of 7.9ltrs/100km. for the DSG model.

The tunability is also very promissing on that engine as is on the N54 of the 135i :smile:

The biggest point against it for me is its price tag...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 12:14 AM   #5
airhead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
The TT/S is now around the corner and will be priced around 80k base price...
$92k base or $96k for the s-tronic. And a pretty long options list...

Does that make the decision any easier?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 12:22 AM   #6
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

I am sorry, and on this forum I know I'll take some choice ones for saying this, but my opinion is a categorical no! How much mileage do they want to get from that engine from the factory? VW/Audi sometimes show no scruples when it comes to rehashing....
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 12:24 AM   #7
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead View Post
$92k base or $96k for the s-tronic. And a pretty long options list...

Does that make the decision any easier?
Base price I have is 80k from todays Cars Guide, but did think that was too low...

Yes the price tag is what will sway me one way or another, as noted already - but still interested what all you guys think about it compared to a 135i, not just the price tag :smile:
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 12:41 AM   #8
airhead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Base price I have is 80k from todays Cars Guide, but did think that was too low...
I've got the TTS pricelist from Audi in front of me, $92,900 up to $100,700 for the roadster.

There's not $20 - 30k more car in the TTS. The engine is harsh compared to the 135i, the dynamics aren't nearly as good and the driving position sucks. On the other hand, Audi's interior is in a league of it's own, better quality materials, AWD grip and it's a nicer looking car.

Hate to use a cliche here but the 135i felt like the better "drivers" car (compared to the S3 which is more or less the same car as the TTS).
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 12:43 AM   #9
Blacky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

MMMMMmmmmmmmm, after writting my speal I read the article at the local cafe.
That is the one I was thinking of for the GF, that will make her happy.
I have been trying to talk her into the Z4 M but she hated the long bonnet.
For me and without driving it is a good alternative, but with even more compromise should you need the back seats.
If you are only thinking of you and a friend then the back seats don't matter.
Wonder what insurance premium will be like for each?
The Z4 M was astronomical.

What are other paying for their 135s?

I did like the interior of the TT a little quirky like the mini, but better quality than the R53.

Tough decision.

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 01:09 AM   #10
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Thanks guys - good points above :smile:

I too am in a situation where my missus prefers the Audi over the BMW...and the BMW over anything else LOL, so the others in my short list don't have much of a chance...

I too also have a concern for more praticality since it'll be an everyday driven car, so the extra space in the back would come in handy, the cheaper price tag, very handy :smile: the higher performance something I really want :thumbup:

I was wanting to really assess ' if ' the extra tech and some of the other goodies on the Audi were worth the extra money or not...

Had these 2 being priced similarly, then it would indeed be a very tough choice :iono:
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 01:27 AM   #11
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

TT = spew.

The 2ltre engine is NOT a performance engine, and it's already nearlly stretched at 200kw. The 135i engine has SO much more tuning potential and it sounds gorgeous - the Audi TT sounds terrible in comparision.

I've come from the TT chassis so I know what it's like. It's good, but the 135 is far superior in my opinon
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 01:41 AM   #12
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
TT = spew.

The 2ltre engine is NOT a performance engine, and it's already nearlly stretched at 200kw. The 135i engine has SO much more tuning potential and it sounds gorgeous - the Audi TT sounds terrible in comparision.

I've come from the TT chassis so I know what it's like. It's good, but the 135 is far superior in my opinon
Hi Kris, just out of curiosity, did you own one of the new TT's or the previous model - reason I ask is because dynamically and handling wise they're Worlds apart, the new one is in a different league and from reviews I've read so far, this newer TT/S is much better again...

I think your correct about the engine as from what I've seen from Euro tuners, they go to about 240kw/480-500nm on it and call it day, which is I suppose is still pretty decent for a 2.0ltr and the TT is not very heavy with it's aluminium make up, the TT/RS I've read will have a 260kw version of the Volvo 2.5ltr 5 cylinder engine ?? but I'd hate to think of the price tag on that one...

For me the 135i has it over the TT, in an overall sense, just very informative and re-assuring to hear other peoples opinions, who would've also considered the same :smile:
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 02:08 AM   #13
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I had the older shape, which is still the same chassis...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 02:22 AM   #14
airhead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
it's already nearlly stretched at 200kw.
Not true. The S3/TTS engine has much stronger internals (pistons, rods etc) than the 147kw version. It's good for 350 - 400hp (260kw - 300kw) before you need to start messing around with internals which is plenty of power for a little car.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 02:38 AM   #15
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

airhead: I don't get you. Theres no S3/TTs that has 147kw.

I'm talking about the 195kw, 2.0litre version of the engine. Let me assure you the K04 turbo on that engine doesn't have much at all left in it, you'll make out around 260kw with chip, exhaust, fuel pump and maybe IC

The 135 has 2 turbos, and an extra 1.0litre of capacity - it's good for alot more than the 2.0litre S3/TT
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 02:43 AM   #16
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Kris, if I may butt in, I think he means the GTI engine which pumps out 147KW. S3 is a souped up GTI engine. But then again what to buy, a TTS or a GTI with a Stage 3 APR? Hmmmm.....
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 02:47 AM   #17
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Oh, GTi engine? yeah different. Thought the topic was about the S3/TT/TT-S?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 02:53 AM   #18
airhead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Kris, all I'm saying is the S3/TTS revision of the TFSI had it's internals rebuilt meaning it can cope with a quite a lot of power, whether that requires bigger turbo etc to get the most power out of the engine is another topic

I'm not saying the BMW twin turbo engine doesn't have a lot of tuning potential although I don't know how strong the engine is... assume it's strong enough.

Hopefully I'm making a bit more sense... it is Friday afternoon afterall
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 02:53 AM   #19
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

Well, put it this way, I'm coming from a modified Mk2 TT and I've got a 135 on order.

I had the TT 2.0T with DSG but FWD. With mods and APR relfash to was putting out close to 200kW. That for me was the limit of power I felt I could put through the drivetrain. It was quite quick (Way will attest it was hanging off the back of the C63, but the AMG was much quicker off the line). Even with the Magnetic suspension, it was very prone to understeer when driving even a little bit hard. Sure the quattro will be a completely different beast, but I can't see that it's worth $20k more then the base 2.0T. $100k for the TT without option is stretching it I think Beautiful exterior and the cockpit is a lovely place to be, but I can't see the TTS being worth the extra cash, especially not with the 135 now in the field.

I've had numerous faults with the car (non drivetrain related) and the dealership are next to useless. For me, the 135 is much more of a drivers car, has more tuning flexibility whilst not comprimising on build quality etc.

That said, given the waitlist now for the 'baby bmw', the TTS may be more appealing. WIth options though, it's a lot of money.......

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 03:12 AM   #20
airhead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarm View Post
That said, given the waitlist now for the 'baby bmw', the TTS may be more appealing. WIth options though, it's a lot of money.......
What's the wait time now? I'm putting my order in next week.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 03:21 AM   #21
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead View Post
What's the wait time now? I'm putting my order in next week.
You sitting down??

It's been quoted feb/march 09 build by a couple of people that have put orders in recently.

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 03:24 AM   #22
airhead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarm View Post
You sitting down??

It's been quoted feb/march 09 build by a couple of people that have put orders in recently.
I'll be obsessed with completely different car by then...
Appreciate 0