BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #1
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, Xclass

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Split Second Tubro Tuner

I am considering getting the split second turbo tuner (SSTT). This device adds 40 HP (30KW) power and 50 ftlbs (68Nm) torque. I was told by the supplier the gains should be even better on our 98 octane fuel.
The SSTT is currently on sale and I have been given a price of $555 australian dollars shipped to Australia. They appear to be easy to install and remove and apparantly are undetectable one removed.

Has anyone else considered getting one of these.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 12:34 AM   #2
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTNJNQ View Post
I am considering getting the split second turbo tuner (SSTT). This device adds 40 HP (30KW) power and 50 ftlbs (68Nm) torque. I was told by the supplier the gains should be even better on our 98 octane fuel.
The SSTT is currently on sale and I have been given a price of $555 australian dollars shipped to Australia. They appear to be easy to install and remove and apparantly are undetectable one removed.

Has anyone else considered getting one of these.
Yep, read up on it. Its not as sophiscated as the proceed setup, but it does work. Not sure if it works on the V81 DME - check that.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 01:04 AM   #3
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I am not going to risk doing something like this myself without the support of a local dealer. I am going to go with Active Autowerks which Andrew@SouthernBM is a supplier of. I am not 100% sure how much it cost but I believe it isn't much over $1000. Don't know about you, but given the cost of our cars, I think a few hundred extra is worthwhile investment for me!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 01:21 AM   #4
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I think you're pretty safe with SSTT, its not like its not a tried and tested system.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 02:25 AM   #5
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

I am more concerned about install issues to be honest...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 02:28 AM   #6
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
One of the suppliers I spoke to advised that they have sold more than 50 units in Australia have got very good feedback from most of the users.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 02:32 AM   #7
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

You guys may be mechanically inclined, but I am not. I rather not do it myself! One broken pin and it's all over. No thanks for the sake of $400-500. If they had a local distributor who would warrant their work, then I am happy to consider it with other locally available chips. Just curious though, have they solved the V81 issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 02:45 AM   #8
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
I am not going to risk doing something like this myself without the support of a local dealer. I am going to go with Active Autowerks which Andrew@SouthernBM is a supplier of. I am not 100% sure how much it cost but I believe it isn't much over $1000. Don't know about you, but given the cost of our cars, I think a few hundred extra is worthwhile investment for me!
Based on the prices in the US, I would think the active autoworks would cost more than $1,000 here. I'm not too worried about the cost of the tunes and would be interested in looking at the active autoworks tune, Especially if there is local support.
I'm more worried about voiding the warranty. I believe that the active autoworks tune cannot be easily removed and reinstalled every time the car is taken in for service at BMW. Is this correct?What does the active autoworks tune involve? Also will the active autoworks give error codes with the new v81 DME ECU?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 02:48 AM   #9
DTNJNQ
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Quote:
You guys may be mechanically inclined, but I am not. I rather not do it myself! One broken pin and it's all over. No thanks for the sake of $400-500. If they had a local distributor who would warrant their work, then I am happy to consider it with other locally available chips. Just curious though, have they solved the V81 issue?
Way, looking at the information provided by Jeff from Eurobahn on other threads, it appears that the SSTT has no problems with V81.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 05:55 AM   #10
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

The Active Processor is $1295 installed. Active are currently working on MSD81 and when that is released then i can release to everyone here accordingly. The installation requires rewiring of the factory ECU plugs and so i require it back if you want it removed before going to the dealer. I have fitted many to 335's, i did the last one on friday. I recently recieved my latest stock order of 5 units and have 1 left. More will be coming soon.

I haven't used the SSTT or seen one installed so can't comment.

If you want factory Warranty to remain on your car, Do NOT put anything on the car that may put that into question. All tunes are sold for 'off road use only' i just don't see the argument that you want to modify your car and if something goes wrong blame the BMW and scam them for warranty. (My 2 cents)

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 06:14 AM   #11
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Wayne, the AA and Proceed are piggy back units, they splice certain wires on the ECU harness and then plug those into the piggy unit. The AA and similar sit inside the ECU well under bonnet, which is accessible through all the plastic covers. They are removable but its not quick job

The SSTT plugs down underneath the intake manifold if Im not mistaken, its alot easier to remove/install.

ANY and ALL of these chips will cause doubt around engine warranty - the dealer can only void your warranty if the chip is found to be the cause of an issue with the engine. Having it connected does not instantly void your warranty but let me assure you a dealer will find any excuse under the sun to void if it a chip is found

I've had chips in two previous cars, the best was the APR chip which was programmed into the ECU via the OBD port on my Audi S3. It was great in that it had a program to revert to stock and allowed the APR section of the ECU to be locked therefore making it semi invisible to the dealer - it was a fantastic product and I'm surprised the BMW community have not released something similar.

I'd be very hesitant to take a modified car into a dealer for a service - if they test drive the car (which they no doubt will) then the presence of the chip is instantly noticed.

Get the chip that provides the safest gains and also allows easy removal is my suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 07:48 AM   #12
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Andrew, AA being a piggy back unit, does that mean I can tune it to my own liking and accomodate my mods down the track? Of course I need to find a tuning expert, but someone like APS would perhaps do it? I know they use Unichip but would they be able to tune this if we bring it to them in the future?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 01:59 AM   #13
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew@southernBM View Post
The Active Processor is $1295 installed. Active are currently working on MSD81 and when that is released then i can release to everyone here accordingly. The installation requires rewiring of the factory ECU plugs and so i require it back if you want it removed before going to the dealer. I have fitted many to 335's, i did the last one on friday. I recently recieved my latest stock order of 5 units and have 1 left. More will be coming soon.

I haven't used the SSTT or seen one installed so can't comment.

If you want factory Warranty to remain on your car, Do NOT put anything on the car that may put that into question. All tunes are sold for 'off road use only' i just don't see the argument that you want to modify your car and if something goes wrong blame the BMW and scam them for warranty. (My 2 cents)

Andrew
Appologies if this question has been asked many times before and located somewhere here in other threads - but what is the power output increase of this Active processor, just want to compare to the SSTT...

I also see the sense in what Kris has stated in his last post - I have very similar to that on my turbo Astra convertible, I have a total of 4 different ecu maps - these are software only - (stock included) which are loaded via the OBDII port and take no longer than 45 seconds to accomplish, without even opening the bonnet.

I can choose which is best, usually dependant on climate/season and revert back to stock for dealer service, with no trace of ever been there...

I suppose from what I've read up so far on here, there is an issue with current production V81 ecu's being able to log either a 're-map' or piggy back intervention, but I'm sure this will definitely be resolved over time, if not already for some systems...

For myself, I would definitely be in favour of a good 're-loadable' re-map...but if one of the above piggy backs proves undetectable, especially with the un-clipping and re-clipping side of it and not being logged by the ecu, then it might be a goer :smile:
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 03:24 AM   #14
Swift135
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330d, M3 DCT E92

I think that if BMW engineers can make a engine computer (e92) M3 that can perform more than 200 million calculations per second that even with the 135i they will have some way to find out if there has been someone messing with the software . I've been sitting back watching the 335i guys cutting and splicing wires to the ECU then pulling out the gear when the car goes in for service. The only people still smiling when the turbo or engine fails on these cars are the guys selling the gear that made the car fail. BMW may give the benefit of the doubt if the car has not traceable changes but when you limp into the service department with taped up wires, catless downpipes, giant intercooler, no OEM airbox, a boost gauge on your dash; don't expect them to believe that your engine failure is their problem.
      06-11-2008, 03:44 AM   #15
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Kris, I will go with AA for my 135 because I want other gear from them and am very keen that mods on my car are exploited optimally by my piggback tune. That's my beef about signing up for an FMIC without knowing whether I need an Alpha N or something to get the most out of it. The discussion on this forum about the FMIC is easily the most heated of all so I just don't know!! Two months ago I didn't know what the heck a ECU was so its all a bit too much for me!

BTW, I am seriously considering APR for my wife's SUV when it arrives since it will have the GTI engine and APR has a ton of stuff for that engine don't they? I have heard good things about them but tell me more about this bit about being switchable to stock. How does that work? Through the OBD when stationary or on the fly via a steering button or something? That would be pretty neat.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 04:00 AM   #16
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

prof, I've got APR for the TT with the 2.0T engine.

It's configurable via the cruise control stalk, between programs. Car needs to be stationary and it takes a couple of seconds and uniquely for the TT, two seperate movements of the ignition key to allow the flash. Takes approx 20 seconds from go to woah to change programs.

In terms of bang for buck, the APR reflash was stunning.

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 04:13 AM   #17
professor
Major
United_States
Rep

that is very cool. drop off the kids at school, clickety-click on the cruise control stalk and drive off like your pants are on fire. get back home and set it back to wifey mode. very cool!!

now to see whether it will work on a GTI-engined VW CUV.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 04:49 AM   #18
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift135 View Post
I think that if BMW engineers can make a engine computer (e92) M3 that can perform more than 200 million calculations per second that even with the 135i they will have some way to find out if there has been someone messing with the software . I've been sitting back watching the 335i guys cutting and splicing wires to the ECU then pulling out the gear when the car goes in for service. The only people still smiling when the turbo or engine fails on these cars are the guys selling the gear that made the car fail. BMW may give the benefit of the doubt if the car has not traceable changes but when you limp into the service department with taped up wires, catless downpipes, giant intercooler, no OEM airbox, a boost gauge on your dash; don't expect them to believe that your engine failure is their problem.
I can relate to this as well Swift 135, which is why I mentioned undetectable "on the un-clipping and re-clipping side of things" as well as ecu logs with a piggy back set up !

From what I already know Xede has such a set up for the Mazda MPS 3...it plugs in neatly - no wire splicing or cutting - that's a definite NO NO for me too :wink: and I would be embarrassed/silly to rock up at a service centre with that kind of damage to wiring and expect them to just ignore it...

I've heard Xede do have something for the N54 as well, but havn't found anything on here yet about it...

Can anyone here elaborate...once again apologies if it's mentioned somewhere already, I'm noob to this forum :smile:
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 05:00 AM   #19
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia
Rep
Drives: Blue

I used an exede on my Subaru for a while but it had some "issues" that they were unable to fully resolve, despite being actively involved with the vehicle. Ultimately I had to use another solution. To be fair I have heard generally good things about them and they were one of the first to develop a plug and play unit for the 335I. I think the cost was around $1600 but I stand to be corrected. Check their website at www.exede,com.au
      06-11-2008, 07:00 AM   #20
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Prateek, I had APR in my Golf GTI too. The distributor of APR in Australia (Guy Harding) is familiar to a few of us here. I have no problem in recommending APR at all. However, if you do your research on some VW boards, you will see lots of fighting between Guy and Lucas (GIAC distributor). Don't waste your time. Bottom line is, GIAC gives more power with more boost, APR is a bit more conservative but awesome tune just the same! APR owns Oettinger btw so they are the same tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 07:06 AM   #21
professor
Major
United_States
Rep

Wayne, the summary of what you said was that APR would be a fine choice. I was directed to Harding after I made an enquiry at Volkspower.

Incidentally, I recall you opted for adaptive lights for the 135. How are they? Too late for me now but after seeing them in person I am getting them for my wife. I thought it was all bluster but no! Very neat.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 07:17 AM   #22
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

Quote:
Andrew, AA being a piggy back unit, does that mean I can tune it to my own liking and accomodate my mods down the track? Of course I need to find a tuning expert, but someone like APS would perhaps do it? I know they use Unichip but would they be able to tune this if we bring it to them in the future?
Hey there, Yes we could have a custom tune done, the New Active Processor has a USB connector so i can play as required or when needed, i haven't done this yet though......
Appreciate 0