BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-31-2008, 04:43 AM   #1
Jamze
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW 320d Touring

Clutch problems :(

Had my 120d Coupe since the end of April, great car, but wondering if it's developing a clutch problem.

It never seemed very positive from new, and felt like you had to be careful with it (bit like you do in an older car with a worn clutch). Certainly wouldn't be confident making a quick getaway with it.

Initially put it down to me getting used to the car, but yesterday there was a judder pulling away from a junction in 1st on an incline. Could then repeat the judder in 1st or reverse in the carpark.

Anyone else had any probs? I'll get it to the dealer to have a look, but any info would be useful. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Warranty job, get it in ASAP!!

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 01:26 AM   #3
Jamze
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Booked in for Frid this week. Was doing it again yesterday, reversing out the drive and then pulling away. Smells of hot clutch too - somethings not right.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 05:58 AM   #4
Jamze
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Just got back from Sytner Solihull. Engineer accompanied me on a test drive, but no judder. Only seems to happen after a longer drive. Good bloke, seemed an enthusiast. Listened to my description, and said no probs, booked car in for new clutch plates and check all is OK with flywheel. So far pretty impressed with the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 04:58 AM   #5
Jamze
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

No 1er for a couple of days, as it's now in for new clutch plate and flywheel. Pick it up tomorrow, fingers crossed it will come back with no judder. They originally were going to do just the plate, but just phoned to say they've ordered a new flywheel, which is why it won't be finished until tomorrow. I wonder what they've found?!

Got an auto 318SE as a loaner. Amazing how basic it feels, although drives great.
1999 VW Golf Mk3 2.0 Cabriolet, Jazz Blue (gone)
and an Orange P7 mountain bike!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 01:35 AM   #6
Jamze
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Got my 120d back yesterday. All seems OK, although won't know for sure until I've bedded this new clutch in.

Dealer seems spot on. Mechanic was same one who originally diagnosed the problem. Made a point of finding me and chatted about what he'd done and what to look out for.

Says there were a few high spots on the plate bad enough to cause probs, but also said BMW had issued advisory info regarding clutch snap as they call it, and there's a ECU upgrade on the way. Can't imagine what that'll do. Fiddle with the throttle response a bit to help smooth out engagement?

Anyway, glad to get the 1er back. Spotless too. One weird side effect, the stop/start isn't working. Noticed this immediately, and they checked everything was reconnected as it should be (there's a sensor on the gearbox), but to see if the software sorts itself out after a few miles. Still not working after a couple of hundred, so back to the dealers next week.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 02:50 AM   #7
nickc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

i hate that. going backwards and forwards to the dealer with a new car.

Sounds like your getting good service though
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
Jamze
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

As long as the dealer is good, don't mind too much. Had a Vauxhall a few years back and that was a nightmare - dreaded every time it went in, because they always caused more problems than they fixed.

He was right - stop/start is working again today. Can't even begin to explain that one, guess the software had to reinitialise or something.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
Shazza P
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d M Sport Coupe

Angry Clutch Failure Bmw 120d M Sport Coupe

This happened to me on Friday evening after collecting a brand new BMW 1 Series Coupe just less than 48 hours earlier in March 2010 having only driven 57 miles!

I couldn't get out of the car, it filled with black smoke and an acrid smell.

The car then decided to totally shut down after several attempts the door decided to open.

Once out I called the Fire Brigade who then disconnected the battery due to possible electrical fault?

Having contacted BMW Assist I had to wait in the pouring rain for 2 hour for a recovery vehicle to collect the car because it would not lock!

Eventually the car was put on a low loader and the car is now back at the dealership in the workshop.

This is still a recurrent problem, more to follow
Appreciate 0