BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
wrx4sale
In Love
Rep
Drives:

Racing

For the record all talk of "racing" will be done on a drag strip. Anyway, Not 1 related but I could use some opinions. My neighbor challenged me to a race and I accepted quickly. I drive a 2004 wrx, 5sp, catless exhaust, tuned, crank pulley. I used to race my car on the street a lot like an idiot, but those days are over, I have never raced on a drag strip before, but I am very comfortable with my abilities. I have beat a 333hp m3 coupe by a car length from a launch. a 2008 mustang gt by a car from a roll. and edged out stock sti's by a car or two. I don't know much about his car, it's a 350z probably a couple years old, manual, he says he has exhaust, intake, chip and pulleys, from what i gather he really doesn't know much about cars but certainly acts like he does. My car was tuned in the cold in NY and isn't as fast down here in florida, would probably be even races with these cars above. Pretty confident I can take him based on stock 350z numbers, but I don't know how those upgrades affect the 350. Thanks.
      05-28-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
fourmicah
Private
Rep
Drives:

I hope this doesn't turn into a "street racing kills" thread, and that it's not going to end up there, but sometimes that's what happens. Here is my $0.02. The driver has more to do with racing than the car to some extent. It also depends on whether you are going from a roll or a dig. I just sold my WRX and they're awesome from a dig, but tend to struggle from a roll because the turbo is so small especially against a NA motor like the VQ35 in the 350Z. Even with all that crap on his car I don't think he could get you because it doesn't seem to add that much to the NA motor. Where a good tune on a WRX can net an additional 50 WHP/ 50WTQ. Just a guess but I think you would get him from a dig and he may get you from a roll. Get your car retuned since you've moved and that will make a world of difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
spicv0712
MexicanT
Rep
Drives:

Top end he definetly has you. From a dig I am pretty sure you have him beat. Intake and exhaust on a 350z dont really do much. I used to have a Altima SER (same engine) and those mods didnt do anything but make it sound nice.

The chip doesnt do anything, it is the biggest waste of money from what I recall. I think it bumps the redline up to 7k or something like that. And I believe the UP (pulley) is another garbage mod.

Make sure the guy doesnt have catless downpipes, this will make his top end better.

If you can tell me what company makes all of his mods, I can get a better idea.

I know most of the people on the forum are thinking this so Ill just say it.... KEEP IT ON THE TRACK!!!! :thumbup:
Appreciate 0