BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

iPod demo

Hi guys, thought I'd mention that I took my iPod Nano along yesterday when I went for a drive in the 335i and we tried out the 2 cabling options.
  1. A white cable with a cigarette lighter power connector and a 3.5mm jack - this takes the audio only from the headphone jack. The sound seemed okay, but you have to change tracks etc via the iPod itself and don't have any visibility of track details other than the iPod screen.
  2. A black cable, one end has a USB connector and a 3.5mm jack. The other end has the edge connector for the iPod. This one lets you use the iDrive, the radio controls or the multi-function steering wheel to select tracks, skip to next track, volume etc. Track and album details etc were viewable on the Nav display. Nearly made me spend more money for Nav .
So, the obvious choice is to coff up the dosh for the proper cable (from meory it was around $120).

Hope that helps. Sorry, didn't take a USB key or drive with me .
      05-14-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Mate, ebay has those cables I'm sure. I'm not lashing out half the cost of an ipod on a cable!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Update from a 335i user

Ok here's a better update. I returned last night after a truly outstanding experience with my 13 year old daughter. More later and many amazing photos.

At Freimann, they had a regular but very short REGULAR usb cable that has no ipod use in the glove box. Since there are ipods in use constantly and everywhere in Munich, surely BMW knows that's a useless addition. I brought the ipod to usb cable for the ipod and that worked very well. Controllable thru the steering and the head unit, and it did have the song titles artist info, etc. I also brought a male to male mini plug assuming I could at least play all the songs on the ipod, knowing that would only allow controll from the ipod itself. That worked also. Finally, I burned all of my [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]itunes[/color][/color] songs as mp3s onto two cds (180+-songs) and that worked well also.

My conclusion is that the combo cable we all feared would be unavailable is not necessary. I cannot now recall why we couldn't find some tunes, but it was my teenagers ipod and goodness knows they know those devices as if they were born with them attached, and she made the initial assessment. For ED at least, bring your regular [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]USB[/color][/color] to ipod connector and you're good to go.

As an aside, I couldn't read the display at all with my polarized Maui Jim's. I've got the same problem with some displays in the cockpit of airplanes. I'm just greatful last week's amazingly beautiful weather allowed me to discover that!

So, all you need is your standard WHITE Dock to USB cable and also a male to male 3.5mm stereo cable and your set $120 is a flaming rip off.

If you're in Sydney at the Canterbury launch,ill bring my Ipod and USB/3.5mm stereo cable
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
So, all you need is your standard WHITE Dock to USB cable and also a male to male 3.5mm stereo cable and your set $120 is a flaming rip off.
I agree 100% (I wasn't jumping up and down cause my dealer is throwing it in for me). I am sure I read somewhere that the sound out of the 3.5mm jack wasn't the best way due to its low levels, but I guess time will tell.

At least you'll be prepared :wink:.
      05-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I will more than likely ditch the ipod and use a usb powered thumb drive or hard drive.. I hear the analogue output stage in the head unit is far superior to any of the portable players on the market...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I will more than likely ditch the ipod and use a usb powered thumb drive or hard drive..
Agreed, me too. I am a newbie to the world of portable music though (only just started exercising with an iPod this year), so it will take me a while to get it all sorted.

I have a 60GB Western Digital USB drive though that I have copied my iPod to, will take that along next time and see how that works.
      05-14-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I've got those white cables in my X3 and mum's 323i. They work fine and they only cost $30.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Agreed, me too. I am a newbie to the world of portable music though (only just started exercising with an iPod this year), so it will take me a while to get it all sorted.

I have a 60GB Western Digital USB drive though that I have copied my iPod to, will take that along next time and see how that works.
Simon, you may have a issue there because most portable USB hard drives are not self powered.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #9
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

The cable is fricking awesome, the ipod interface in the BMW's is the best I've seen in a car. Worked flawlessly with my iphone, but I'll just keep my old 80gb ipod in the car as the music hub for the car. MP3s with the logic7 though...

The dealer was more then happy to throw it in after the deal was done, along with a model 135 as a 'present', as I forgot about the cable during negotiations
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 07:39 PM   #10
SimonB
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Simon, you may have a issue there because most portable USB hard drives are not self powered.
This one is, I use it for my HD PVR.

As long as the 135i provides the standard USB power levels, then it will be cool. Thanks anyway.
      05-14-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Ah ok. Then you are set!! Swarm, the issue with using the ipod cable is your relying on the Ipods DAC capabilities which simply blow in the iphone/itouch and ipods over the one inside the BMW headunit which is vastly superior.

My suggestion is to forget the ipod and use a portable thumb drive/hard drive like Simon suggests. The sound quality will be alot better, useful for people who have brought the Pro HiFi but perhaps not overly different if you went down the standard hifi route..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 03:44 AM   #12
Sydneysider
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I returned last night after a truly outstanding experience with my 13 year old daughter. More later and many amazing photos.
Sounds like something straight out of an Austrian cellar...

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 04:33 AM   #13
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Ah ok. Then you are set!! Swarm, the issue with using the ipod cable is your relying on the Ipods DAC capabilities which simply blow in the iphone/itouch and ipods over the one inside the BMW headunit which is vastly superior.
Interesting, I did not know about that. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 05:08 AM   #14
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

smarm, no dramas

Sydneysider, LOL I didnt even SEE that. That is really wrong isn't it?
Appreciate 0