BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Inexpensive BlueTooth phone?

OK I know this may seem weird in this day and age, but I rarely use a cell phone. I have a pre-paid phone which I keep in my car for emergencies and trips, but that's about it. It stays in my car 99% of the time and that's pretty much the only place I ever use it. The problem is the phone is old (had it for like 6 years) and doesn't have any of the new technology. I want to upgrade to a phone with BlueTooth, so that I can use it with the hands free feature in the BMW, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on the phone because as I said I don't use it much. I also don't get any of the discounts or rebates that come with having a plan, so I have to pay full price for the phone. Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a decent, yet inexpensive, BlueTooh compatible phone that will work with the BMW system? I have AT&T as my provider so I need a phone that works with their network.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
Berduderunner
drk one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
i believe at&t has refurbished phones for sale for pay as you go. check out their website for that.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
Doolab
Private
Rep
Drives: '96 Maxima SE 5MT, '04 MB E500

This one is a Motorola quad band flip phone with bluetooth and mini-usb charger/connector for $39.99
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Motorola (first choice), LG, or Samsung are probably your best bets for offering some cheaper phone models... but phones are always changing, and I have found most AT&T reps to be extremely helpful at their stores. Just tell 'em what you are trying to accomplish and I'll bet you it will get done.
      05-07-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
Slow
as a mug...
Rep
Drives:

I was looking for a cheap replacement phone with Bluetooth a few months back. The one Doolab mention above is the one I ended up getting. Small, no camera, big buttons, good battery life... it got the job done.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

I have the Motorola Z6M. I has a 2 megapixel camera on it. Extremely vibrant screen, and does the job for just about anything. It plays music also, and has AMAZING bluetooth. It might be out of your price range, but it's worth taking a look into!

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
G5Ti
Purveyor of fine roads.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Not cheap, but I can't help but mention the iPhone. Works with AT&T, does 10 million things, and rocks the world.

You can often pick up 8GB refurbs on the AT&T online or Apple online stores for $199. Yeah, still pricey, but slick. And yes, if you look online you can figure out how to easily and legally use the iPhone with a pay-as-you-go plan.
      05-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #8
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5Ti View Post
Not cheap, but I can't help but mention the iPhone. Works with AT&T, does 10 million things, and rocks the world.

You can often pick up 8GB refurbs on the AT&T online or Apple online stores for $199. Yeah, still pricey, but slick. And yes, if you look online you can figure out how to easily and legally use the iPhone with a pay-as-you-go plan.
I totally agree the iPhone is a small wonder... and I love mine, but I would NOT get one at this time. The rumor mill is very full with the strong possibility that the next-gen iPhone will be released this summer. If true, it is rumored to be vastly improved, and it is further rumored to be offered at an incredibly special low incentive price. It would be not be in anyone's best interest to get one for a little while, at least until it is clear as to what the next iPhone will be, and when it will be released, and what the price will be. The next-gen is reported to be so much better and faster (3G, hopefully).

In the meantime, Dan can pick up an impressive inexpensive phone that will do the job he has described.
      05-07-2008, 11:19 PM   #9
nautilus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 G30 540i

For cheap and cheerful yet bulletproof build quality, go Nokia; you can also pick up refurbs/lightly used Blackberry's on eBay for a good price that wont require you to sign up for a data plan to use.

I'm waiting for the new iPhone to be released myself because the price of 1st gen's will fall like a stone - if the spy shots are to be believed, the 2nd gen is not going to look as good as the 1st, IMO
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 12:22 AM   #10
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

The iPhone definitely has the cool factor and I'd love to get one just to play with. But I know that if I did I'd play with all the cool features for a week then it would just end up sitting in my car like my current phone anyway.

I've looked on the AT&T website at their selection, but unfortunately it's unclear what is available to me. I've had the plan for so long it actually carried over from Cingular and I actually have to log into a completely different website to refill it and mess with my account. I guess I could just transfer plans. As long as I can keep my number, and unused minutes rollover* then I don't really care who my provider is.

Dan

* With my current plan as long as I add $25 every 90 days then any unused money I have on the account rollover. Last year I had over $100 on there at one point I use it so little. Then I went on a week long trip without my wife and used most of it up talking to her at $0.25 a minute.
Appreciate 0