BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-22-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
moebiwan
Rep
Drives: nothing yet

Calgary Dealership/SA for a 128i

Hey guys,

I was at the 1 series drive event last weekend in Calgary and was really impressed with the car. The price point also seems pretty reasonable for a BMW and competes well with the other "luxury" brands. I do have a few questions and hopefully you gurus can give me some pointers:

1) Which dealership in Calgary is the better choice for sales?

2) I know MSRP is pretty much set in stone but do you think it likely they will move on trade in values and options? I'm looking to trade in my 04 Mazda 3 GT. Black Book has it from $9600-11000 so I'm looking at $10000 for a trade value - is that realistic?

3) For those that have purchased already, what was your freight/PDI? Were they willing to move on the admin/registration fees?

Anyway, thanks for your time and hopefully I can get some good answers
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

1) I went through Calgary BMW, though BMW Gallery is owned by the same guy. Calgary BMW has newer, nicer facilities though. I know Andy and Randy at Calgary BMW, both pretty cool guys

2) I think $9000 would be a little more realistic, you can probably negotiate a bit off MSRP though as a lot of us have had some luck with that here in Canada (I did). So maybe you can get $9500 on the trade in and $500 off MSRP?

3)Freight and PDI was $1895, Admin/registration was $395.
      04-22-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
moebiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post
1) I went through Calgary BMW, though BMW Gallery is owned by the same guy. Calgary BMW has newer, nicer facilities though. I know Andy and Randy at Calgary BMW, both pretty cool guys

2) I think $9000 would be a little more realistic, you can probably negotiate a bit off MSRP though as a lot of us have had some luck with that here in Canada (I did). So maybe you can get $9500 on the trade in and $500 off MSRP?

3)Freight and PDI was $1895, Admin/registration was $395.
Thanks for the info! The Mazda does have another 3 years of extended warranty, set of winters with rims (hankook's), and a compustar alarm and starter, also pre-wired for Sat radio. I have had the car at VW and Lexus and they both quoted me around the $10K mark but you think BMW would go even lower than black book?

Do you think BMW would be more interested if I was leasing or financing? I plan on leasing this since the residual is so freaking high. Plus it's my first BMW so I don't want to fully commit just yet.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
Kiety
The ONE
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Cabriolet

if you are leasing then there's really no reason to do your trade in at bmw if they are offering a lower price for the car, if you were financing however, the tax benefit would outweigh the $500 difference.

So if they aren't willing to give you a decent trade in, you can bring it to private used car dealerships for cash

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebiwan View Post
Thanks for the info! The Mazda does have another 3 years of extended warranty, set of winters with rims (hankook's), and a compustar alarm and starter, also pre-wired for Sat radio. I have had the car at VW and Lexus and they both quoted me around the $10K mark but you think BMW would go even lower than black book?

Do you think BMW would be more interested if I was leasing or financing? I plan on leasing this since the residual is so freaking high. Plus it's my first BMW so I don't want to fully commit just yet.

Thanks again!
Hm... in that case maybe they will put it at around $10k, I always figure they're going to be a little worse than black book, but I suppose I may be pessemistic.

I'm financing, but I was encouraged to lease by my SA. I think its indifferent from their point of view...
      04-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
moebiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiety View Post
if you are leasing then there's really no reason to do your trade in at bmw if they are offering a lower price for the car, if you were financing however, the tax benefit would outweigh the $500 difference.

So if they aren't willing to give you a decent trade in, you can bring it to private used car dealerships for cash
That's a good point. But here in Calgary, those used car dealers are even worst at lowballing. I had contemplated selling privately and then doing a cash down on the lease but it's more of a hassle than anything. I looked at it as paying a 10% commission for someone else to sell for me (trade in). But if they are going to offer below black book, I'm just going to walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post
Hm... in that case maybe they will put it at around $10k, I always figure they're going to be a little worse than black book, but I suppose I may be pessemistic.

I'm financing, but I was encouraged to lease by my SA. I think its indifferent from their point of view...
I've never traded in at a dealer before since I've always sold privately. It's just that time is rarer for me these days and I can't babysit listings as I was able to before having a family. Good to hear that they don't care either way. Did you purchase with Andy or Randy then? My wife's girlfriend just bought a 328xi Touring from them and I think she mentioned Andy was her SA. I did request a call back from the survey I filled out at the drive event so maybe one of them will call.

Any more input would be greatly appreciated. I've only ever haggled on price with Asian dealers/SA's and being Asian myself, I understand their practices but I've never done it at a luxo-german brand before (VW was the first Euro I've ever owned).
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
Bye Bye GTI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Kiety - you mention that there is a tax savings from trading in a used car when you lease?

Can you tell me more on this?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 03:09 PM   #8
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

do you guys think the car will retain its 60% residual next year? I'm planning on leasing in Summer 09...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #9
moebiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bye bye GTI View Post
Kiety - you mention that there is a tax savings from trading in a used car when you lease?

Can you tell me more on this?
It's tax savings when you finance. There's no tax savings when you trade in on a lease.

Anyone else have information on the 2 Dealership's in Calgary?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
It's tax savings when you finance. There's no tax savings when you trade in on a lease.

Anyone else have information on the 2 Dealership's in Calgary?
I purchased with Andy, and my neighbor purchased with Randy, and Randy was the guy who took my deposit waaaaay back in July (Andy was on vacation).

Calgary BMW is the larger of the two, but I'm sure they switch inventory if they need to. Calgary BMW has a 128 Cab in the showroom, a 135 cab outside, and the 135 coupe for test driving. At least thats what it was on the lot Friday, I'm sure there is also a 128 for test drives too though.
      04-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #11
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW M Coupe

My brother just traded in his '04 Mazda 3 GT with leather, 5 MT, 90,000 km and he received $11,000 for his car... it has busted up side skirts and lots of rock chips. I would say that $10,000 to $11,000 is reasonable to expect out of your trade.
      04-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #12
moebiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koala View Post
My brother just traded in his '04 Mazda 3 GT with leather, 5 MT, 90,000 km and he received $11,000 for his car... it has busted up side skirts and lots of rock chips. I would say that $10,000 to $11,000 is reasonable to expect out of your trade.
Thanks for the comparison, do you mind if I ask where he traded it into? In Calgary or Edmonton? I know that they don't consider Edmonton a "competitor" but there's nothing stopping from drive 3 hours to get a car if it saves me a few Ks.

Thanks again for the great info guys, keep it coming and I'll post up any info I can when I make it to the showroom.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #13
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the comparison, do you mind if I ask where he traded it into? In Calgary or Edmonton? I know that they don't consider Edmonton a "competitor" but there's nothing stopping from drive 3 hours to get a car if it saves me a few Ks.

Thanks again for the great info guys, keep it coming and I'll post up any info I can when I make it to the showroom.
It wasn't a BMW dealer so that part of it isn't as relevant, but the point of the matter is that the vehicle he traded it in for is a vehicle in a similar situation to the 1 series... one where there is little or no discounting from MSRP.

I realize trade in prices aren't very accurate as it's the net difference that truly matters but in a situation where the vehicle being traded in for isn't discounted from MSRP, the trade-in value does become somewhat relevant
      04-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #14
moebiwan
Rep

Quote:
It wasn't a BMW dealer so that part of it isn't as relevant, but the point of the matter is that the vehicle he traded it in for is a vehicle in a similar situation to the 1 series... one where there is little or no discounting from MSRP.

I realize trade in prices aren't very accurate as it's the net difference that truly matters but in a situation where the vehicle being traded in for isn't discounted from MSRP, the trade-in value does become somewhat relevant
That's true. I just wanted to have as much information as possible when negotiating for a TIV. I mean VW is offering me a pretty fair TIV so I'm assuming that I can request something similar with BMW. The problem is exactly as you put it, the 1 series is not going to move much, if at all on MSRP. But if the choice comes down to a 128 or a 328, I think I may just take a 328 at the lower lease rate and better stock equipment.

This car isn't going to be strictly mine to drive on the weekends alone so I have to consider the family factor as well.

Did your brother trade the 3 in Edmonton?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #15
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah he traded it in here in Edmonton.

I'd take a 328i if it leases out better. I'm in a similar situation and I'd have a hard time justifying a higher monthly payment for a less expensive car.
      04-24-2008, 12:09 AM   #16
xtrema
Private
Rep
Drives:

Both dealers are the same, just the sales people you prefer.

Same owner also own Calgary Honda and a couple Hyundai's.

BTW, trading in expects CBB rate. You can probably get a couple grands more private if you can deal with the hassle of showings.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 11:08 AM   #17
moebiwan
Rep

Talking Signed and Waiting on delivery!

Alright guys/gals, as promised, here's my month end update.

I went into Calgary BMW on Wednesday night and tested the 328i to see if I still really liked the 128, and truth be told, the 128 is still the nicest ride I have yet to test drive. So I ended up speaking to the sales associate and after a 1 hour negotiation, here's what I ended up getting:

128i: Titanium Silver, Premium Package, USB integration, Ski Bag, Auto (w/o paddles), Adaptive Headlights. Plus the bonuses that were part of the gift card from the 1 series drive event in April. I received $10,500 for my Mazda 3 trade in and 3% off MSRP which was about $1200 discount.

At first, he only wanted to give me $600 off and $10K for the Mazda. After a bit of negotiation and the mention of carcostcanada.com and dealer price (which he says MSRP is 8% over cost) he agreed to 3% discount (which was my goal). The monthly payments are still higher than I liked and I was prepared to walk away (the payments were $25/month off of my target) so after he "had to grab a print out" he returned and said, another $500 on my trade value which brought down the payments by $21/month.

I agreed that it was fair and I'll suck up the $4/mth, LOL!

This car was off the lot so there was a bit of leverage there. That and we had a friend who purchased a 328xi Touring from him just 6 months ago refer us.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with the out come. I pick up the new car on Wednesday night so here's hoping that the damn streets in Calgary are cleaned before then!

Thanks again to those who helped with the research!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #18
xtrema
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with the out come. I pick up the new car on Wednesday night so here's hoping that the damn streets in Calgary are cleaned before then!

Thanks again to those who helped with the research!

Awesome. Lease or finance?

Streets are cleaned in the NW.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #19
moebiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrema View Post
Awesome. Lease or finance?

Streets are cleaned in the NW.
Lease. I didn't feel like financing the first year Canadian 1 series just yet. I'll probably finance a 2012 model year when this one is done.

Stupid gravel! :P
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #20
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Congrats, I think you negotiated yourself a very fair deal based on your goals going in there.
      05-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #21
moebiwan
Rep

Quote:
Congrats, I think you negotiated yourself a very fair deal based on your goals going in there.
Thanks! I will post pics once I take it home. It's not as tricked out as some of your M-Packaged deals

I'm happy with the negotiation process, it was actually easier to negotiate than the "economy" dealers.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 03:49 PM   #22
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

congrats! And nice job on the deal.