BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-09-2024, 04:40 PM   #1
anassherwany
Registered
Rep
Drives: X4 2020

Trade-In UK

I was wanting to trade in my BMW X4 for an X6 at a BMW dealer, but do they take cars that have been previously written off? (Cat S, Cat N, etc).
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 05:50 PM   #2
IAmSpeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4 M40i (G02)

Garage List
2023 BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
Can't speak for the UK market, but in the US, majority of the BMW dealer around my area won't take car that have insurance written off. They will send you to some used car dealers, then you get the cash for what's worth, come back, and get the car you want at BMW.
2004 Toyota Vios | 2004 BMW X3 | 2007 Chrysler Town and Country | 2007 Ford Escape | 2008 Honda CRV | 2017 Nissan Versa Note | 2017 Toyota RAV4 | 2017 Toyota Yaris iA | 2019 Porsche 911 | 2023 BMW X4 M40i
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 01:38 AM   #3
Keefy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Garage List
I very much doubt a BMW dealership would take a car that was previously written off, too much hassle for them to move it on.

No harm in trying though as they can only say no thanks, then off to WBAC you go, for the biggest kick in the balls ever!
Modifications - AutoID Front Splitter. DTUK Pedalbox Plus. Gloss Black M Badges. 3d Maxpider Kuga Floor Matts & Cargo liner. BMW M-Performance Flow Through Spoiler. Mid-Trunk Spoiler. 15mm Spacers all round. AP Arch Guards. X3M Side Vents. 699M Wheels Gloss Black
Appreciate 1
moonshine850.50
      05-10-2024, 02:40 AM   #4
BigMart
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30D 2022

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [0.00]
I believe it's part of the approved used checks that they won't sell a categorised car so I can see they would have to send it to auction so the value wouldn't be predictable (book value.. glass's / CAP whatever). Long story short if they don't know what they will get out off it they won't bother.

There are lot's of people who would buy it privately but you would really get tyre kickers / low ball offers... PX with a tumble dryer ... jokers

@Keefy hit the nail on the head. WBAC or similar might be the best way. Lots of the online car buying services will accept categorised cars but they would probably want to see the actual condition before committing and you won't get anywhere near the private sale value unless the car is exceptional and was maybe written off for something silly and hasn't had any structural repairs?

Good luck with it , keep us informed how you get on.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 01:55 PM   #5
anassherwany
Registered
Rep
Drives: X4 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMart View Post
I believe it's part of the approved used checks that they won't sell a categorised car so I can see they would have to send it to auction so the value wouldn't be predictable (book value.. glass's / CAP whatever). Long story short if they don't know what they will get out off it they won't bother.

There are lot's of people who would buy it privately but you would really get tyre kickers / low ball offers... PX with a tumble dryer ... jokers

@Keefy hit the nail on the head. WBAC or similar might be the best way. Lots of the online car buying services will accept categorised cars but they would probably want to see the actual condition before committing and you won't get anywhere near the private sale value unless the car is exceptional and was maybe written off for something silly and hasn't had any structural repairs?

Good luck with it , keep us informed how you get on.
Yeah thanks, when I find the perfect spec I'll ask that dealer if they will take it. I will let you know what happens
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 03:51 PM   #6
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by anassherwany View Post
Yeah thanks, when I find the perfect spec I'll ask that dealer if they will take it. I will let you know what happens
Well, we all hope it doesn't work out for you since then you'll have to schlepp to the X6 forum :->. Just pimp your totally already cool X4 with some advice from the masters here?

Seriously though - GOOD LUCK :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 08:27 AM   #7
Swen6
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Lots of people are scared off the moment they see 'CAT *' and read no further. Think the overall value of the car too will have a big impact, 30/40k car is going to have more people sucking their teeth then a 10/15k car that you'd be willing to take a punt on.

I'll be honest I normally filter them out when looking but recently using the 'take a punt' method I have considered them for my Good Lady, she's just started learning and we could get her in to a F40 M Sport 1 Series for the money of a straight SE, plus being on the register we'd look to keep it long term so resale value would be less of a concern.

Could only recommend testing the water on something like eBay, see if you get any bites. If you have any images of the prior damage could strengthen your hand too if it was cosmetic and not structural, saw a recorded M135 recently on the Trader Website and they had included an image of the damage, it was a rippled rear quarter that you'd be happy to visually check on any viewing.
Appreciate 0