THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Thrust Arm Replacement

05-07-2024, 12:40 PM   #1
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Thrust Arm Replacement

Several years ago, I had installed the M2 Lower Control Arms, using the kit from Turner Motorsports. Great results for steering with +.5 degree of negative camber in the front alignment spec and also feeling more stable/planted on turns.

Just learned that my 10 year old has failing thrust arm bushings (and motor mounts) and wondering about taking the opportunity to install the M2 thrust arms with their own new bushings rather than just replacing bushings (which BMW does not favor). These are the parts, as shown on Turner.

I'm assuming these will mate up nicely with the LCAs already in place and may even return the front wheels to the original position within the fender opening. They have been slightly forward.

Asking the community for experience, thoughts, suggestions before I go through with this, please? Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 12:54 PM   #2
Dom147
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i, 2017 BMW M240i

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
this thread goes into great detail as to what's required: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1079766

But to put it short, you need to get some spacer since the m thrust rm bushings are not as wide as the stock f2x/f3x arms. This also helps with caster. I forget what the exact measurements were needed for the spacers used but i did have to machine them in order for them to fit bc the size I bought was just a hair too large. I highly recommend fully reading the thread before buying anything.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4745.50
      05-09-2024, 09:29 AM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom147 View Post
this thread goes into great detail as to what's required: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1079766

But to put it short, you need to get some spacer since the m thrust rm bushings are not as wide as the stock f2x/f3x arms. This also helps with caster. I forget what the exact measurements were needed for the spacers used but i did have to machine them in order for them to fit bc the size I bought was just a hair too large. I highly recommend fully reading the thread before buying anything.
Thanks for that thread. Interesting stuff, although some beyond my understanding. My research found this package for the F22, including the 228i:

https://www.bimmerworld.com/F8X-Fron...Assembled.html

I called them and spoke with a tech expert and he pointed out that as I already have the M2 LCAs, I could just have this thrust arm part of the package installed which they do sell separately for right and left sides. Note that they do swap out the M rubber bushing for non-M bushings made of urethane to fit, apparently without spacers needed, if I understand it properly.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...122284532.html

Much appreciate your further thoughts. Seems they figured out how to make this "plug and play" and I would just have to hand the two thrust arms over to the dealer's technician to install and then have them do the alignment with the plus 1 degree of negative camber. (plus .5 degree per side)?

Thanks again.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 05-09-2024 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 1
Dom147102.50