BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-31-2008, 12:03 AM   #1
CaliSF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Plug & Play - add 40hp

Hey guys

So, I went to Irvine BMW today to check out the 1, and they only had 1 135i, which was marked up $2500 from msrp, and the SAs were instructed by management to refrain from negotiating. BUT, I did manage to talk to an SA who 1) imports the original M5s from germany to the US and mods them to the next level, and 2) knows someone who programs software for BMWs. Apparently, he has a buddy who is a software engineer who has created a plug and play adaptor that will increase hp and trq by 40, respectively....Just plug it in and you're good to go. He told me that BMW programmed the sofware on the 135 to allow the engine to perform at 50% of its capability for the purpose of extending engine life, but that with the right software and mods, the engine can easily be tuned into a monster. I didn't stay too long to get the nitty gritty, but I told him about this website, and he gave me his contact information. If you guys want it, I'm more than happy to share.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 12:06 AM   #2
bharv2003
Private
Rep
Drives:

Sounds interesting, but does it actually reflash the ECU or is it just a temporary mod?

Black Sapphire Metallic; Terra Boston Leather; High Gloss Black Trim; Premium and Sport Packages; Heated Seats; Premium Sound

:headbang: Can't wait until it gets here!!! :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 12:11 AM   #3
CaliSF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharv2003 View Post
Sounds interesting, but does it actually reflash the ECU or is it just a temporary mod?
From what they guy told me, it's just a temporary mod. I'm not as knowledgeable about mods as some of you are so he said that he'd talk to someone if they had any questions...The guy seems legit - he races old m5s at the nurburgring and imports them as a side job.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
ansun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 4.8i 135i

Hey,
I purchased my 328i from them last year. I havent been back since and switched to Crevier in Santa Ana for my last 2 cards X5 4.8i and 135i. What was the SA names?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 12:48 AM   #5
CaliSF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Saliya Ukuwela - really cool guy, and knew his stuff. I wasn't a fan of how management runs the place (no ED and no negotiating the markup), but I can't fault the SA for management's decisions.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Don't pay a markup. You can get a discount at this point given how bad BMW's sales have been lately.

He's probably talking about the Dinan Reflash, that'd be my guess.

Either that, or SSTT, I've heard of a few dealers installing those.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 08:31 PM   #7
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSF View Post
Hey guys

So, I went to Irvine BMW today to check out the 1, and they only had 1 135i, which was marked up $2500 from msrp, and the SAs were instructed by management to refrain from negotiating. BUT, I did manage to talk to an SA who 1) imports the original M5s from germany to the US and mods them to the next level, and 2) knows someone who programs software for BMWs. Apparently, he has a buddy who is a software engineer who has created a plug and play adaptor that will increase hp and trq by 40, respectively....Just plug it in and you're good to go. He told me that BMW programmed the sofware on the 135 to allow the engine to perform at 50% of its capability for the purpose of extending engine life, but that with the right software and mods, the engine can easily be tuned into a monster. I didn't stay too long to get the nitty gritty, but I told him about this website, and he gave me his contact information. If you guys want it, I'm more than happy to share.

Welcome to the N54 sub-forums!

There are about 5 aftermarket tunes for the N54 (BMW's biturbo engine). This is nothing new and that product has been on the market and is in plenty of cars. The one your SA is talking about is probably the SSTT. Just one of the many piggybacks offered for the N54 (135i).

Dinan is the most expensive and the most reliable of them all, it currently is the only aftermarket "tune" that is ECU controlled instead of physical device(adapter) that has to be installed.

There are many discussions on these devices or "adapters", They go by the name of SSTT, JuiceBox (JB2), Attache, PROcede, Active Procesor, Dinan and Shark Injector(coming). It may take some reading to get a feel for what they entitle and what is right for you, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
bmwzimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 335

Hmmmm, tuned to 50% of it's capability?
That means if it puts down 270HP to the wheels, it can probably handle max 540rwhp!!!
So this means there should be no problems tuning your car to 385-400rwhp like Procede V2.1 and JBX's. This would make since since we haven't seen anyone make more horsepower than this and nobody's blown their motors yet....
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Keep us informed. I want to know his plug and play solution, because current products on the market require a bit more than plug and play. Just take a look at the instruction video and manuals from the tuners. Definitely not hard, but not p&p either. P&P to me would be plug directly into OBDII, does not throw code, doesn't induce limp mode.
      04-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #10
turbomg
Acquiring the taste.
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwzimmer View Post
Hmmmm, tuned to 50% of it's capability?
That means if it puts down 270HP to the wheels, it can probably handle max 540rwhp!!!
Keep in mind that's the "engine", which is not surprising considering the iron block (and odd 3rd hand speculation as well) and not the rest of the things attached to it. Go ask the e90post guys, they've been researching this a lot longer than we have here. The weak point is the transmission, and there is also the fact that you're going to have a hell of a time getting much more than say 450whp out of the tiny turbos.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 07:59 PM   #11
NOCede
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
Keep us informed. I want to know his plug and play solution, because current products on the market require a bit more than plug and play. Just take a look at the instruction video and manuals from the tuners. Definitely not hard, but not p&p either. P&P to me would be plug directly into OBDII, does not throw code, doesn't induce limp mode.
An OBDII reflash would be nice, but there is nothing like that out there yet. The reason we need to install tuners in the ECU area is so we can access all the sensors required to do a correct tune. But installs are not that bad once you've done it before. 15-20 min.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #12
Russo
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Dodge Dakota Big Horn

sounds like a crock of shit to me... does this "friend" provide some kind of history with his "programming" skills?

BLUEFAKES.COM ARE SCAMMERS, LIERS, AND CHEATERS! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 08:24 PM   #13
CaliSF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
sounds like a crock of shit to me... does this "friend" provide some kind of history with his "programming" skills?
I dunno...The guy just gave me his card and that was that. Like I said, someone here with sufficient knowledge about mods can call him and ask questions. Since I'm not as skilled as some of you guys, I wouldn't know what questions to ask. If you want his number, PM me and you can talk to him, ask questions, and get credentials.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 12:06 AM   #14
CaliSF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Okay, so I found out that the plug and play unit is actually the Split Second Turbo Tuner from Eurobahn, which has been floating around in some other posts....so, it seems legit.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=SSTT+dealer
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 07:11 AM   #15
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

I would recommend going to South Bay BMW. That is where we got ours and we did not pay any mark up. Great dealer, easy to deal with. We got our 135i on the first delivery of the 135's just like they promised.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 07:32 AM   #16
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSF View Post
Okay, so I found out that the plug and play unit is actually the Split Second Turbo Tuner from Eurobahn, which has been floating around in some other posts....so, it seems legit.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=SSTT+dealer

We told you so! :biggrin:
Appreciate 0