BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
imported_Kyle
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Must Have Mods???

I have read a ton of threads and posts from you guys very informative. I'm looking for the most reasonable and the must have modifications for sport, speed and keeping the warranty. So pretty much being on the safe side and being able to add some torque, HP, and handling. Thanks guys I enjoy reading your post and BTW I am Kyle and I'm from Orlando, FL
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
Impulse
BMW ONE
Rep
Drives: 93 RX-7 R1, 135i

Garage List
Most people start with a tune, theres many choices.( AA, Procede, JB2, Helix) Downpipes have made great power so far. Intake and exhaust will also help but optional.

Good luck man. As for warrenty depends on how well you know your SA.
      03-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Yay, one more for Orlando...As far as tunes go, if you want a warranty, I think your choices are Dinan or BMW Performance (when they get off their asses).
      03-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

LOL that's crazy. I'm Kyle and from Orlando too!

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
imported_Kyle
Registered
Rep
Drives:

lol nice yea right now I drive a '08 Mazda Speed 3 and get all my parts from streetunit.com who is out of Orlando as well, so makes it very easy for me to get parts quickly. Plus Mazda parts are not as expensive. I just have a lot to think about before I invest into this beautiful machine. Thanks for your help guys. If anyone has any other advice I am always listening!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 06:36 PM   #6
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

There are a few Dinan dealers in the Tampa/St. Pete area and they will supposedly match the BMW warranty for anything they install. They are a little pricey but that warranty peace of mind is nice and the gains are decent...
      04-07-2008, 07:38 AM   #7
NY SLC 93
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'm going with the Dinan tune and some kind of exhaust first...and wheels....
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 08:49 AM   #8
1ForAll
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92

Garage List
since you live in FL I would go with an AA tune, custom exhaust at Miami Mufflers, KW Coilovers from Gravity, and some new rims of you choice. Wait, that is what I am doing....:wink:
      04-07-2008, 10:25 AM   #9
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I have read a ton of threads and posts from you guys very informative. I'm looking for the most reasonable and the must have modifications for sport, speed and keeping the warranty. So pretty much being on the safe side and being able to add some torque, HP, and handling. Thanks guys I enjoy reading your post and BTW I am Kyle and I'm from Orlando, FL
In my opinion, must-have mods are dinan software, performance catalog steering wheel, and carbon fiber rear spoiler. I have no desire to modify exhaust or suspension. CSL wheels would look great but that can wait until I get the car paid off.
      04-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
malves85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Im planning on getting the Dinan tune right after my break in period. For 2k a great tune covered under warranty isnt bad at all. Before that I might toss on the carbon fiber spoiler and side mirror covers depending on how good or bad carbon fiber looks with sgm.
If you arent worried about warranty or know you can get away with it go for a downpipe and maybe a nice turbo back exhaust if any is out yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #11
DRosS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 VF34 WRX

Dinan is pretty much the only mod that will not void your warranty. Any other mods and the dealership may hassle you if an issue with your car arrises.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 10:51 PM   #12
rajuncajun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Frankly, I'm not going to tune my car right now. I'm just going to enjoy as is. But, if I was going to tune, I think I'd start with the JB2 or SSTT. JB2 for price and SSTT for ease of install. Performance is close enough between the two. Gives you the opportunity to wait and see how the N54 does over several years of high pressure and high heat. I plan on keeping the car for many years, so longevity is important. Dinan would be nice, but once you make the change, there is no going back and you are stuck with it. A Shark style reprogram would be best (new program with old saved on the injector for easy reversibility), but I'm not seeing nor hearing about anything coming out of Conforti's shop. Besides, the tunes should change to excentuate the performance from bolt ons, i.e., intercoolers, CAI, DPs, exhaust, etc. I don't want to wait too long, but I'm just not confortable enough yet to dive in.
Appreciate 0