BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-25-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
135iowner
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i / 1M on order

Test Drove 135i

Well folks just got back from test drive in the 135i. they have a sedona red 135 demo. My SA ( Wes ) at Bavaria BMW in edmonton let me take it out for a ride.
Appearance
This car looks really good in the sunlight. The body and curves on the car look amazing. The only thing that didn't really impress me was the sedona red color.It has a slight orange tint to it in the daylight but no worries, i got a different color. Man this car looks way better in person than pictures.
Interior
The interior is fine. Not brilliant, not half ass either. It had the grey poplar inside and that looked good IMHO. the controls are easy to get at. It didn't have power seats but there are 4 different levers for seat adjustment. The back is seat is cramped but i sat in the back with no problems. It had the ugly cup holder by the shifter and my SA said that could be taken out.
Performance
My SA was cool, he let me "test drive" the car. I pretty much did everything to this car except launch or spin the tires. Oh ya i did exceed 4500rpm. This car excels with little ease. No matter what gear you are in. I was on the henday in 4 gear and punched it and this car moves. this car handles so well also, it hugs corners better than i ever thought. The clutch is awesome on this car, not too long, not too short, just right for my liking. The gears are little long when shifting but i could easily get used to it after a few months.
Overall this ride is all that and then some. We have been hearing reviews from fellow owners but until u actually drive this car, words cannot describe the performance. I am so happy i bought this car and cannot wait til mine is here.
Anyways if u wanna drive this car, get down to bavaria at see for yourself what the hype is all about.:headbang:
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

^^^^
nice write up
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

nice, he phoned me today and I booked that same car for saturday (stupid job of mine)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
looking
Captain
Rep

^^^^

Write up please...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
j8smith
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i coupe

135iowner,

what time did you drive it? I Had that car out for half an hour around 4 yesterday. When I got in it had 300KM on it. I looked at my SA, and he said it's a demo, have fun.

Anyway, My review:

The route we took was north on the anthony henday drive, then west on yellowhead trail to winterburn road , around some backroads, then back on the henday to the dealership. A good mix of highways, backroads, and multiple on/offramps

The first turn after getting off the yellowhead was a 20km/h hairpin. I could sense my passenger tense up as I approached the turn at 60. A light brake, turn in and hit the throttle, and the back end came around nicely before the dtc kicked in to control the fun. I then Hear the SA say, "you've done this before haven't you". After a couple more turns we enter a long straight, and he says its okay to give it some gas. Down shift, punch it, and head north of 170, before common sense kicks in; I don't need to lose my licence today. A couple more turns, then drop in to some hilly terrain around a golf course. Up shift, and try lugging it up a hill. Unbelievable torque, it just accelerated like it was in second gear; this thing is a rocket.

After a few more turns, a suprise in the road. a tight banked turn, complete with an even more banked and paved inside shoulder. Picture the carosel at the nurburgring. Gear down, drop down off the road on to the shoulder, and rail through the turn and feel the g's.

A couple more turns, and I approach an intersection. Traffic is picking up, so I accelerate swoothly to 120 to test out its highway prowess. As I crest a blind hill, I feel a sickening sensation brought on only by the sight of flashing blue and red lights. A speed trap, thankfully targeting traffic in the opposite direction. A sigh of relief from the right seat, as both he and I reflect on the fact that moments ago we had been travelling at close to three times the posted speed limit. With that, I settled into traffic, and head back to the dealer, playing with the radio and various features along the way.

Getting back to the dealer, one thing came to mind. This car would get me into serious trouble very quickly. The linear nature of the power and the smothness of the ride, means that one has to watch the speedo at all times. Leasurily accelerating onto the highway, it tops 140km/h before you even think to look down. My intended purpose for this car would be a fun daily driver and occasion weakend warrior. This much speed, would frankly be overkill for such an application. With this realization, I breath a sigh of relief, confirming to myself that I had made the right decision when I ordered a montego blue 128i sight unseen. When equiped with the sport package, It delivers all the handling, and 95% of the braking of its bigger brother, at a substantially lower price. The only thing missing is that extra power. While nice to have when I feel the urge, I think I'd like to keep my drivers licence for a little while longer.
      03-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #6
looking
Captain
Rep

^^^

Nice write up - "I see you've done this before" - hahahaha
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 08:57 PM   #7
135iowner
Private
Rep

J8smith,
I took that demo for a chew around noon yesterday. It only had 25km on it when i got in. My SA said it just got PDI so i don't know if i was the first customer to drive it. The car was in the basement when i jumped in. After my test drive i parked it outside and there was a whole shit load of people looking at it. Dam thats alot of test drives if that thing had 300km when u got in. What did u think of the sport package, steering wheel, sport seats, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #8
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

holy holy, leave some car for me! I am testing it out on saturday at 11... and noon sounds about right... THAT's when my SA religiously phoned me to let me know the car was ready...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 09:33 PM   #9
135iowner
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisemyrent View Post
holy holy, leave some car for me! I am testing it out on saturday at 11... and noon sounds about right... THAT's when my SA religiously phoned me to let me know the car was ready...
Ya i feel sorry for the person who buys this car. Hardly any off sticker price and no real selection of options or colors and a car thats been bagged. Oh well i guess thats why its a demo. Note to self...NEVER buy a demo.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 10:03 PM   #10
j8smith
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iowner View Post
Ya i feel sorry for the person who buys this car. Hardly any off sticker price if any, no real selection of options or colors and a car thats been bagged. Oh well i guess thats why its a demo. Note to self...NEVER buy a demo.
Performance car + Demo = buyer beware. I would feel bad about pushing a new car like that, but then I stop to think what the sales and service staff are going to do to it, let alone other customers, and joy riders. I didn't really push it that hard, only a couple of 0-100(mph) runs. I didn't even get a chance to turn Traction control off.:biggrin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iowner View Post
What did u think of the sport package, steering wheel, sport seats, etc.".
The sports seats were a must for me, held me nice and tight. Not sure on the steering wheel, liked the thickness, but thought it would be firmer. probably will be comfortable during hard driving
      03-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #11
135iowner
Private
Rep

Ya i am kicking myself so hard for not ordering sport package. When i ordered a couple of months ago, i didn't like the M wheels or the black trim. Plus the sport package didn't really make the car perform better, only cosmetic stuff. Those seats are so comfy and that steering wheel is money. Those two items alone are worth it. Curious as how the normal steering wheel and regular seats compare to sports package. Dammit, i think i need a mulligan on this one.
Appreciate 0