BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-20-2008, 01:05 AM   #1
Viper
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 135i (SOON-DINAN)

Dinan Warranty?

First post!

I am going to order my 135i next week (alpine white, 6 speed-no options) and I was wondering what you guys thought about DINAN ecu's? I plan to break my car in first, then put front and rear sway bars as well as a DINAN ecu (hopefully the one available on the 335i). I believe that DINAN is the most trustworthy after market tuning company, but I am open to other suggestions. However I am afraid that even though DINAN offers a warranty similar to BMW's, I don't know how they will respond and how their customer service will be. Have any of ya'll used a DINAN product before (possibley have problems)?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 01:16 AM   #2
jasyn
Private
Rep
Drives: retired BMW 330i

dinan has been in the game for a long time, but i say it's a coin flip. some people say dinan will fix ur car if something goes wrong. others say dinan will come up with excuses so they won't fix ur car. there are also people saying that you can only get dinan products. any other aftermarket items non-dinan will void both warranties. you'll also have to look at price factor/performance.

go to the e90post forums here http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58

there are a lot of discussions regarding dinan that i've gone over a bit here.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 02:27 AM   #3
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

welcome viper! no options at all? at least think about the sport pack IMO. there is a whole thread about it:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4139
      03-20-2008, 03:12 AM   #4
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
You must get Sport, it's an essential option, de rigueur, the car is lacking without. You're already paying $35,675, why not drop another grand for proper seats.:iono: You'll never notice the slight increase in your payment and never regret not getting Sport.

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 01:07 AM   #5
Viper
Private
Rep

ya, I guess you guys are right...I'll get the sports package (I love the steering wheel). Do you think it is worth the money to get the upgraded radio? I am ordering my 135i with the ipod adapter, so maybe a nicer radio would go along side nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 01:52 AM   #6
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I love how ppl, myself included, intend on buying a car without adding options...and then end up adding a bunch of stuff. I just didn't want to get the car and then wish I had added something.
      03-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
Viper
Private
Rep

yep, it happens to the best of us. I guess my will power is not strong enought.

One more question about the dinan ecu...the company says it takes the speed governor off, so what do you think the actual top speed is of the 135i?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
Redy2Go 135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomquickness View Post
I love how ppl, myself included, intend on buying a car without adding options...and then end up adding a bunch of stuff. I just didn't want to get the car and then wish I had added something.
i agree to that but as for me, i opt for less on some features that i know i may upgrade them later with aftermarket.. such as i opt for the manual seats, because i know i will be adding some nice lightweight aftermarkets in the near future.

Saphire black, manual 6 spd, sport package, interior black/alum trim
HiFi stereo, USB ipod, comfort access, delivery: July '08
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #9
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasyn View Post
dinan has been in the game for a long time, but i say it's a coin flip. some people say dinan will fix ur car if something goes wrong. others say dinan will come up with excuses so they won't fix ur car. there are also people saying that you can only get dinan products. any other aftermarket items non-dinan will void both warranties. you'll also have to look at price factor/performance.

go to the e90post forums here http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58

there are a lot of discussions regarding dinan that i've gone over a bit here.
There's a third player in this: the installer. Mine put it this way: "You got a problem, let me know and I'll help you work with Dinan and BMW to get it fixed." Have a chat with whoever you're thinking about buying Dinan software with and see how they handle this aspect. Should be easier if it's a BMW dealer, but the Dinan Diamond Dealers are at the top of the list.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #10
Viper
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post
There's a third player in this: the installer. Mine put it this way: "You got a problem, let me know and I'll help you work with Dinan and BMW to get it fixed." Have a chat with whoever you're thinking about buying Dinan software with and see how they handle this aspect. Should be easier if it's a BMW dealer, but the Dinan Diamond Dealers are at the top of the list.
So would it be possible to install a Dinan ecu and when I need to get the car serviced re-install the original BMW ecu? Also where can I find a Dinan Diamond Dealer?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 11:42 AM   #11
bmwzimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redy2Go 135i View Post
i agree to that but as for me, i opt for less on some features that i know i may upgrade them later with aftermarket.. such as i opt for the manual seats, because i know i will be adding some nice lightweight aftermarkets in the near future.
How much does the manuel sport seats weigh. It may not be worth the weight savings to go aftermarket since everybody loves them.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #12
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

Within the last year, the Technical Editor of the Roundel produced an extensive report on a full Dnan upgrade of his 3 series. Because it involved a good many hardware changes as well as software upgrades, the accompanying photos are extensive. A discussion of what makes Dinan Dinan, from inside the shop over the course of a week vs. via marketing blurbs, was highly informative. I believe this issue is still online with that article available, altho' I notice BMW CCA also offers back issues for sale. If you're thinking about sourcing aftermarket products, choosing the supplier is a key step...and as mentioned above, Dinan is obviously one vendor to consider. In which case this article is well worth your time. (Not a CCA member? Tsk tsk... <g> )

For a full digital copy of the Nov 2007 Roundel, visit http://www.roundel-digital.com/roundel/sample/ Also, to see a sample Tech Talk column, go to p.118.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #13
jasyn
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post
So would it be possible to install a Dinan ecu and when I need to get the car serviced re-install the original BMW ecu? Also where can I find a Dinan Diamond Dealer?
once you flash it with the dinan ecu .. you would want to leave it as so. why would you want to reflash it again to the bmw ecu .. and pay again to reflash it back to the dinan ecu? the reason you are getting the dinan ecu is so you get the dinan warranty.

if you go Dinan you can ONLY go to Dinan certified dealers to get warranty work done. you cannot go to where you purchased your bmw to get warranty work done. they will say you voided your warranty once you installed the Dinan ECU.

http://www.dinancars.com/store/dealer_search.php

go there ^ to search for all dinan certified dealers.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #14
Viper
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasyn View Post
once you flash it with the dinan ecu .. you would want to leave it as so. why would you want to reflash it again to the bmw ecu .. and pay again to reflash it back to the dinan ecu? the reason you are getting the dinan ecu is so you get the dinan warranty.

if you go Dinan you can ONLY go to Dinan certified dealers to get warranty work done. you cannot go to where you purchased your bmw to get warranty work done. they will say you voided your warranty once you installed the Dinan ECU.

http://www.dinancars.com/store/dealer_search.php

go there ^ to search for all dinan certified dealers.
Is the Dinan warranty as comprehensive as the BMW warranty? For example do they give you free brake pads, free oil changes, ect. like BMW does? If anyone has had a previous experience with Dinan, was it good or bad? I really want to reflash my ECU, put a front and rear sway bar, and possibley in the future put headers and an exhaust (probably all Dinan-I know they are more expensive but they have been around the block)...but i do not want to sacrifice the convenience of a good warranty. Any first hand experience...or any opinions?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #15
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

There's a lot of confusion regarding warranty work. Dinan warrants their work, the flash. If it causes an engine problem, Dinan picks up the tab. If the clutch pedal brakes off and you have a Dinan flash, BMW repairs/replaces the clutch pedal (unless they can prove it broke because of the Dinan tune ; -). That how it's supposed to work, theoretically speaking. But remember, theory goes out the window when the rubber meets the road. ; -)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 01:44 AM   #16
jasyn
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post
Is the Dinan warranty as comprehensive as the BMW warranty? For example do they give you free brake pads, free oil changes, ect. like BMW does? If anyone has had a previous experience with Dinan, was it good or bad? I really want to reflash my ECU, put a front and rear sway bar, and possibley in the future put headers and an exhaust (probably all Dinan-I know they are more expensive but they have been around the block)...but i do not want to sacrifice the convenience of a good warranty. Any first hand experience...or any opinions?

Thanks
ur best bet is to go to a dinan dealer and ask all the questions you have and have them answer it. that's the only way you'll get 100% accurate answers.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 09:25 AM   #17
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
There's a lot of confusion regarding warranty work. Dinan warrants their work, the flash. If it causes an engine problem, Dinan picks up the tab. If the clutch pedal brakes off and you have a Dinan flash, BMW repairs/replaces the clutch pedal (unless they can prove it broke because of the Dinan tune ; -). That how it's supposed to work, theoretically speaking. But remember, theory goes out the window when the rubber meets the road. ; -)
Yea, my main concern is warranty repair of parts actually related to the software.. like turbos going bad. What would happen if the turbos begin to smoke at 10k miles? BMW would definitely blame it on dinan but turbos have gone bad on cars with stock software. Another problem is whether BMW will come out with their own software upgrade. I would hate to buy dinan only to have bmw software upgrade available 2-3 months later..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 09:35 AM   #18
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I believe BMW will be releasing an ecu reflash based on a past thread I saw in here somwhere...
      03-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #19
jasyn
Private
Rep

seriously .. if u play the mod game .. expect to pay if something goes wrong. if you guys are worried about warranty .. leave your car STOCK! as of right now though eh .. only time will tell. none of the e90/e92's have gone through that many miles/years to see how the engine reacts long term to these upgrades. at the least, i would say only a couple months of testing to a year tops. granted in that period of time everything has been fine .. but who knows.

in regards to bmw releasing their flash .. if it DOES come out .. don't expect it to be pushing the system to it's fullest potential (as to what many of the piggybacks are doing). that would be financial suicide for them in the long run when internal parts start going to shits.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 12:32 AM   #20
jasyn
Private
Rep

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=272322

just passing this along .. believe what u want
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #21
curtdragon
Car'a'carn
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Garage List
2015 Audi S4  [0.00]
afaik when BMW comes out with an ECU flash that fixes something you get it done and then they reflash the Dinan... I dont know why or how it works so I suggest you research a bit more on the other forums
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 07:10 PM   #22
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomquickness View Post
I believe BMW will be releasing an ecu reflash based on a past thread I saw in here somwhere...
I wish they would announce something soon!
Appreciate 0