BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-25-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Wow, JBS2HHR tune + RR DP's making some serious power.

Video just added to the Tube.

And all this will be available for our 135i's.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

yes very nice!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

^^agreed...
Do we know yet if the RR DPs are going to be a direct bolt-on or am I going to have to do some welding of flanges?
      02-25-2008, 10:03 PM   #4
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

I'm sure they'll make it a direct bolt-on.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

gotta be a direct bolt on
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 10:06 PM   #6
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Hope so, never delt with RR but I have been told one thing and found another upon purchase from certain companies...
      02-25-2008, 10:06 PM   #7
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Jeez...watching it again from that 40mph roll is just insane!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 10:11 PM   #8
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Did you see how that thing pulls??? Imagine that with V2, FMIC and CAI. Good lord. Forgive BMW for they know not what they have done.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 10:18 PM   #9
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Wow. Let me order another one, and watch that again.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #10
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Glad I don't live in AZ. From the sound of it, I would end up in Jail as soon as I showed up.

Nice Car.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 11:46 PM   #11
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

I was about to post this heh. This is currently the fastest setup available for the N54, based on 1/4th mile times, posting 11.89 with DRs, on the tuner's car. I'd definitely put my money on this setup over the V2 ATM, but the guy who did this video is going to do some pulls with a TBE V2 car soon to see the result.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 12:22 AM   #12
Rearro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135I

Please forgive what I'm about to ask As I don't have a clue!!

What the hell was he talking bout?? Down pipes & something about pills??

would someone please be kind enough to relay what he said in
"big dummy terms"

I think that was awesome tho!!

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 12:50 AM   #13
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearro View Post
Please forgive what I'm about to ask As I don't have a clue!!

What the hell was he talking bout?? Down pipes & something about pills??

would someone please be kind enough to relay what he said in
"big dummy terms"

I think that was awesome tho!!
In a Turbocharged engine, the turbos are in the exhaust flow. Exhaust flows over a turbine, causing it to spin. This turbine is connected to another centrifugal turbine in the compressor housing. As exhaust gasses cause the the turbine on the exhaust side to spin, the compressor turbine also gains speed, and compresses the air moving into the engine, increasing the amount of oxygen per unit of volume, by cramming more air into a given unit of volume.

After the exhaust gas flows through the exhaust turbine, it exits the turbocharger into the "downpipe", this pipe carries the exhaust out of the engine comparment down to the rest of the exhaust. Catalytic converters are typically integrated into the downpipe.

By replaces the down pipe with a unit that allows for more flow, and removes obstructions like cats, one can promoted faster, more efficient exhaust gas flow. This is particularly important in turbocharged cars, since the engines are always working under high pressure. By reducing exhaust back pressure, exhaust gas can be more efficently evacuated from the engine. This allows for several things. It allows the air from the intake to flow into the engine faster, increasing the amount of air that can enter the engine, allowing for more power. It also results in gas passing over the exhaust turbine side of the turbo faster Since it's moving faster, it transfers more kinetic energy, causing the turbo to "spool up" faster.

I hope that made sense.

As for "pills" he's talking about a "Hot Pill"(H-Pill), which is something that only the Juice Box uses. Since boost in our car is controlled by a computer, changing the eletric signal entering that computer can increase the amount of boost that the turbo developes. The H-Pill is a resistor that alters the electrical signal slightly, causing a slight increase in boost pressure.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 04:00 AM   #14
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82TT6 View Post
In a Turbocharged engine, the turbos are in the exhaust flow. Exhaust flows over a turbine, causing it to spin. This turbine is connected to another centrifugal turbine in the compressor housing. As exhaust gasses cause the the turbine on the exhaust side to spin, the compressor turbine also gains speed, and compresses the air moving into the engine, increasing the amount of oxygen per unit of volume, by cramming more air into a given unit of volume.

After the exhaust gas flows through the exhaust turbine, it exits the turbocharger into the "downpipe", this pipe carries the exhaust out of the engine comparment down to the rest of the exhaust. Catalytic converters are typically integrated into the downpipe.

By replaces the down pipe with a unit that allows for more flow, and removes obstructions like cats, one can promoted faster, more efficient exhaust gas flow. This is particularly important in turbocharged cars, since the engines are always working under high pressure. By reducing exhaust back pressure, exhaust gas can be more efficently evacuated from the engine. This allows for several things. It allows the air from the intake to flow into the engine faster, increasing the amount of air that can enter the engine, allowing for more power. It also results in gas passing over the exhaust turbine side of the turbo faster Since it's moving faster, it transfers more kinetic energy, causing the turbo to "spool up" faster.

I hope that made sense.

As for "pills" he's talking about a "Hot Pill"(H-Pill), which is something that only the Juice Box uses. Since boost in our car is controlled by a computer, changing the eletric signal entering that computer can increase the amount of boost that the turbo developes. The H-Pill is a resistor that alters the electrical signal slightly, causing a slight increase in boost pressure.
Dude I can't tell you enough how glad I am you posted that. Wealth of info you are Mate.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 05:22 AM   #15
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

That car is REAL FAST!!! WOW, AWESOME !!! HELLO and GOODBY Z06
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 07:08 AM   #16
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

There's another little detail that most folks haven't mentioned in awhile and Chuck was good enough to allude to it. Firing order, and the subsequent exhaust pulses in a straight six, make the use of two small turbos, rather than one large one, pretty dam effecient. Thanks to the firing order, each three cylinder bank has 120 degrees of crankshaft rotation (think of it as time) before the next exhaust pulse hits the turbo. It allows for the exhaust wave to exit the turbine and downpipe with decent separation between it and the subsequent pulses. It actually creates a bit of vacumm behind it and that assists in extracting the next pulse, und so weiter . . .
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 07:44 AM   #17
new_one
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

:eyebulge:What a pull. That from just an OTS tune and race gas with just a DP? Not full TBE?! No fueling mods required?!

Holy cow.

- Jim new_one
"All human interaction is mathematics and politics."
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #18
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I was about to post this heh. This is currently the fastest setup available for the N54, based on 1/4th mile times, posting 11.89 with DRs, on the tuner's car. I'd definitely put my money on this setup over the V2 ATM, but the guy who did this video is going to do some pulls with a TBE V2 car soon to see the result.

This is a different car BTW.:wink:
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #19
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_one View Post
:eyebulge:What a pull. That from just an OTS tune and race gas with just a DP? Not full TBE?! No fueling mods required?!

Holy cow.

The only other mod he has is a Borla exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 10:25 AM   #20
Rearro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135I

Quote:

I hope that made sense.

Thank You!!!! for explaining that! you did a good Job.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 11:20 AM   #21
asv
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

[quote=E82TT6;70711
By replaces the down pipe with a unit that allows for more flow, and removes obstructions like cats, one can promoted faster, more efficient exhaust gas flow. [/quote]

Thanks for the informative post! Forgive my complete ignorance, but I assume that since the downpipe bypasses cats, it would probably fail emissions inspection?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 11:50 AM   #22
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Hmmm - I believe there are two sets of cats on this engine, light-offs and then primaries - the light-off cats are snugged up under the turbines. You may be able to remove them and pass emissions [spoken with the same voice as Abe Vigoda in the Godfather saying, "You may be able to tape the gun . . ." ; -].
Appreciate 0