BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-12-2008, 03:38 AM   #1
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

springs...warranty issues?

Hey, I was jw if a set of H&R springs would cause me any issues at the dealership as far as warranty or "ultimate service" is concerned. thanks
      02-12-2008, 05:30 AM   #2
1ForAll
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92

Garage List
I have H&R Race springs on my Bimmer. I have had no problem with the dealership since the day I put them on.
The only time you will have an issue, is if something breaks and they can link it the springs that you put on.
      02-20-2008, 12:00 AM   #3
imported_Bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Like 4th and 1 said, warranty voiding ihas its big myths. I talked to My nissan rep when I had my 350z, and they said that with all manufacturers, warranties are made to cover problems that arise from factory defects or problems that are not caused by the consumer. Let say if I put aftermarket shocks and springs and one of my tie rods breaks, the warranty wont void just because it ripped out the factory suspension and put in a new one (unless i also changed the tie rod off course), so it is still covered. Unless they can prove that the change or the added component contributed to the damage, warranty still covers that part. You'll be fine! Now remember some dealers can refuse to work on the vehicle if they suspect the damage was at your fault. So my susgestion, take it to another one! Thats what I did!!!!! Worked fine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 06:12 AM   #4
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
it varies from dealer to dealer....if you have your dealer install the spring u def. wont have any issues but it will be $$

i installed my own springs and my dealer told me that if any issues arise from the suspension it would be my responsibility but luckily i never had to test that out.
      03-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

All my cars were lowered never had a problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
Fair
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th-n-1 View Post
I have H&R Race springs on my Bimmer. I have had no problem with the dealership since the day I put them on.

The only time you will have an issue, is if something breaks and they can link it the springs that you put on.
Well put by 4th-n-1.

The second bit he wrote (in bold) is the only potential "gotcha", but unless you do something very dumb (accident that damages many chassis/suspension pieces) and then have a real jackass of a service writer, I highly doubt that lowering springs will ever affect your warranty...

Of course, if you "over lower" the car (which I have seen some BMW owners do...) and run over big potholes or very rough railroad crossings and bottom out the suspension extremely hard (ditto...), you could potentially bend a wheel or ruin a shock - which I doubt the dealership would cover if they saw your car roll in with a massive 3 inch drop. :biggrin:

So, don't take it to extremes and don't be a pimp (over lowered) and you should be OK.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
BMWnoob
Rep
Drives:

There is federal law that regulates this specific issue. A manufacturer cannot "void" the warranty on the entire car because of springs or any other modification for that matter. The modification must be proven to have caused the failure before they can refuse to cover that one repair. The next time you go in the same thing applies, i.e. they can't carryover that singular warranty refusal to other problems.
      03-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair View Post
Of course, if you "over lower" the car (which I have seen some BMW owners do...) and run over big potholes or very rough railroad crossings and bottom out the suspension extremely hard (ditto...), you could potentially bend a wheel or ruin a shock - which I doubt the dealership would cover if they saw your car roll in with a massive 3 inch drop. :biggrin:
Dealerships won't cover wheel/suspension damage from potholes, regardless of ride height. That's an insurance issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
SpeedFrq
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

wow theres a lot of ex-vw peeps in these forums
      03-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #10
sebaflex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3