BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
runciter
Rep
Drives:

winter driving

hey, I'm new to this site and looked through (quickly) to see if this topic is addressed elsewhere and I apologize if it is...

Just wondering if anyone has feedback on winter driving with rear wheel drive and all? I'm planning to get the 135 and I'll probably put on 17" wheels for the winter with very good tires but none the less... I live in Montreal and go skiing every weekend - the last thing I need is to get stuck every time I park the car....
Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #2
InOttawa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

With my first BMW, I wiped it out in a ditch with the slicks in November in Ottawa. Then I got winter tires and now just love driving with the car in winter. That was 3 BMWs ago.

With winter tires, and as long as one is aware that there is snow, driving the car is very safe. To me, it's safer than a front wheel drive car with all season tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

My first car was RWD, and it was by far the best handling car I've had in winter....it wasn't 300 with gobs of torque, but still a great car:wink:

Because of all the torque I could the 135 being a little tricky in winter if you don't use a light touch on gas pedal :biggrin:

Otherwise, as InOttawa said, I too find rwd better in winter...it was so easy to bring the back around a corner and just go, fwd it's either snow plow, or jerk the handbrake(a practice I don't like, but have gotten somewhat used to), in rwd it's all about throttle control.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

No issues with my 3-Series. Keep the DSC on at all times in the winter and don't push it too much in the corners. I don't have snow tires, but I will next year.
      01-25-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
runciter
Rep
Drives:

Question

Thanks for the feedback. I'm also worried about parking. I live downtown - i.e. no driveway or garage. This means that I have have to drive in and out of substantial snow banks - should I be worried?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 12:52 AM   #6
InOttawa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by runciter View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'm also worried about parking. I live downtown - i.e. no driveway or garage. This means that I have have to drive in and out of substantial snow banks - should I be worried?

Well, it's no snow plow. I don't think it's any better or worse compared to any passenger car when it comes to plowing snow.

If you do get stuck in place, don't forget to turn OFF DSC to allow you to rock the car back and forth to get moving.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 06:39 AM   #7
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

get snow tires and don't drive like an idiot and you should be fine. With TC on, RWD nowadays are not hard to drive like the cars of yesteryears.

300 hp doesn't make a difference either, I have a STi and it's very good in the snow
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
Dave135i
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
get snow tires and don't drive like an idiot and you should be fine. With TC on, RWD nowadays are not hard to drive like the cars of yesteryears.

300 hp doesn't make a difference either, I have a STi and it's very good in the snow
yeah, it has AWD.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #9
only1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z06, 09 e90335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave135i View Post
yeah, it has AWD.
It also does not make 300lbs ft from 1300rpm. more like 300lbs ft after 4000. huge in snowy conditions.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #10
AwesomeBMW
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives:

As long as you use some common sense, and get a good pair of winter tires, you should be fine.

Also remember that even though your car may be well equiped and can handle the snow, the other idiots on the road won't be. Give then a little extra room and be prepared to scoot out of their way if need be.
      01-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #11
AwesomeBMW
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOttawa View Post
Well, it's no snow plow.
Yeah the aero kit eliminates that capability. Maybe if you lowered the car, the lip could scrape the ice off the road providing you with better traction:biggrin:
      01-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #12
runciter
Rep
Drives:

Yeah - Montreal is built around a small "hill". I just don't wanna go backwards up a hill on a snowy day. I see it happening all the time to people driving G35's & 37's...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #13
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1 View Post
It also does not make 300lbs ft from 1300rpm. more like 300lbs ft after 4000. huge in snowy conditions.
I guess my main point was that the 300hp isn't the biggest issue in the snow. What's more important is common sense. I've seen car's the 1/2 the hp wipe out in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #14
runciter
Rep
Drives:

I keep hearing suggestions to turn off DSC when stuck in deep snow or a snow bank - is this correct? If yes, why?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 06:30 PM   #15
InOttawa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by runciter View Post
I keep hearing suggestions to turn off DSC when stuck in deep snow or a snow bank - is this correct? If yes, why?
It's correct. With DSC ON, as you give the car gas and the tires start spinning (without the car moving because you're stuck), DSC shuts off the power. This doesn't help get you out of the snow.

With the DSC OFF, you can get the car to rock back and forth (because all wheels keep spinning). The rocking is required to get you out of the problem.

There's no danger do it or anything... if you're not aware of what DSC is doing, you will simply not be able to move the car if it's stuck in a snow bank.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #16
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOttawa View Post
It's correct. With DSC ON, as you give the car gas and the tires start spinning (without the car moving because you're stuck), DSC shuts off the power. This doesn't help get you out of the snow.

With the DSC OFF, you can get the car to rock back and forth (because all wheels keep spinning). The rocking is required to get you out of the problem.

There's no danger do it or anything... if you're not aware of what DSC is doing, you will simply not be able to move the car if it's stuck in a snow bank.
Just 1 little point to add, it's not "wheels spinning" that you want. When rocking the car it's about the rocking motion and momemtum. If you spin the wheels too much you're going to
a) create a deeper rut
and b) cause the snow to melt forming a layer of water on the tread, making it more slippery/icey

The reason for having the "nannies" off is as he said, to prevent it from interfering with the the whole process, as inevitably there will most likely be some wheel spin...I'm just saying to try and minimize it :wink:
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #17
bimmerbimmer
M. I. A.
Canada
Rep
Drives: all the girls crazy

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeBMW View Post
As long as you use some common sense, and get a good pair of winter tires, you should be fine.

Also remember that even though your car may be well equiped and can handle the snow, the other idiots on the road won't be. Give then a little extra room and be prepared to scoot out of their way if need be.

Absolutely true. Watch out for the other less capable drivers.

Just one more point to add, IMO, installing a set of 4 ice & snow tires (e.g. Pirelli, Michelin) will give you much better handling than just 2.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #18
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4ever View Post
Absolutely true. Watch out for the other less capable drivers.

Just one more point to add, IMO, installing a set of 4 ice & snow tires (e.g. Pirelli, Michelin) will give you much better handling than just 2.
Yep, going around a downhill corner in the mountains with the brakes on and no snow tires on the front is not my idea of a good time...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #19
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I thought winter tires were mandatory in QC? I can't remember, haven't been there in a while. I think they should be mandatory everywhere during winter, anyway.

I have two E36's without ASC. I find with winter tires and some weight in the trunk (bag of water softener in this case), winter is no problem. Agreeing with some of the above posts, I wouldn't think of using only 2 tires.. 4 is the way to go. Think of it as saving your summer tires, too!

If you're hitting the hills, get 4 winter tires. I'm running X-Ice on one, and Blizzak's on the other. I find the Blizzaks are a little better when dealing with chunks of snow built up on the road, but they are both fantastic tires. Weigh down the trunk with something dense, and you'll be good to go.. Just don't drive like you do in the summer! :P
      02-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #20
runciter
Rep
Drives:

Yup - definitely mandatory to have winter tires in Quebec and I wouldn't dream of going any other way. Anyone living in Quebec knows it's a must - especially given the crazy amount of snow we've had this year. I was up in Quebec city with my buddy last weekend in his 540 with 3 year old winters and we got stuck 3 times in the ski hill parking lot (after a big snow fall). The problem was slightly older tires (his lease is up and he didn't want to get new tires) but also, and this is definitely going to be a problem with the 135, clearance. The 135 is low to the ground and that's a problem when there is 6" of fresh snow on the ground. That said, I'm still getting my 135 and will stay home when the snow is piled high....
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #21
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I'm running FK coilovers on my 95 E36, it's pretty low. I raised it up a bit for winter, and it's still much lower than the 135i from what I can tell. Second winter now, and so far no problems! I wouldn't worry about it!
      02-25-2008, 10:20 PM   #22
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW M Coupe

I winter drove both of my S2000's. No need for extra weight in the rear, you just need good winter tires. And unlike the 1 series, the S2000 had no electronic aids to help stupidity... traction control was your right foot, and it really should be in any car, anyway.

I've seen an Audi R8 with winter tires driving around here, so I'm sure a 1 series will do just fine!