BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-06-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
ronsil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black e46

135i snow tires!

Hi guys,

I know its too early to think about snow tires but I need some help in deciding whether I should opt for the 17" (a down grade from standard 18") and use it for cheaper (smaller) winter tires and go get some 19" for summer. Will 19" be too big? I really like the rims from the tii. Whats your thoughts?

Placed deposit for:
135i
Alpine White
M Sport PKG
Sunroof
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Hopefully there'll be a lot of advice, a lot of us have used Tirerack (among other companies) to get winter wheels and snow tires for our current cars. You may want to check here also: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2969
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Ronsil.. when winter comes along I am gonna call my guys I got my 17" winters from this year.. tires23... good price.. working just fine for me right now..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 11:53 PM   #4
Euro Durch Tod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mustang

I dont plane on running the stock rubber and wheels anyway so im going to opt for the 17s to put snow tires on and get somethin after market not to long after gettin the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
Pac-Man
Private
Rep
Drives:

I think the 135 comes standard with 18s.

That said why dont you just get the standard 18" rims....go get a nice set of 18" (19 is too big for a car this size IMHO) after market rims and transfer the run flats they come with to the new rim.

...and then put winters on the 18s when the time comes
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Hm... the 135 comes standard with 18's and if you get the sports package you get the m style rims.. id say get the 18's selling off cuz I know alot ppl like those rims better then the m styles. Go get some 17's with steelies and 19" aftermarkets..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
Pac-Man
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LazyBmw View Post
Hm... the 135 comes standard with 18's and if you get the sports package you get the m style rims.. id say get the 18's selling off cuz I know alot ppl like those rims better then the m styles. Go get some 17's with steelies and 19" aftermarkets..
not a bad idea
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
InOttawa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

If you care about safety, go with 17" rims and narrower tires.

If you don't care about safety, stick with the summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #9
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

lChains are an option. there's a thread on them somewhere.

here's the thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3277
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #10
Pac-Man
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by john970 View Post
lChains are an option. there's a thread on them somewhere.

here's the thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3277
not in this country
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #11
ronsil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black e46

Thanks for your input guys. Do you think there is any chance that the dealer will switch the 17" all season to 17" winter if I opt for the downgrade? This will be so much better. If they can do that then it would be a no brainer for me to opt for the 17" and get some aftermarket 19" later for summer. Anyone done this before?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 11:37 PM   #12
john970
1er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsil View Post
Thanks for your input guys. Do you think there is any chance that the dealer will switch the 17" all season to 17" winter if I opt for the downgrade? This will be so much better. If they can do that then it would be a no brainer for me to opt for the 17" and get some aftermarket 19" later for summer. Anyone done this before?
Nope, they come that way from germany. Only thing they could do would be buy you new tires and then figure out what to do with the old ones. You might get them to mount them for free though, since you bought a car at full retail and all.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 02:18 AM   #13
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Using the optional 17s for snows would allow you to get a slightly wider front wheel that would better counteract the native 135i understeer - but it remains to be seen how wide you can go without interfering with the steering geometry or rubbing the tire when turning. I'm hoping we can go at least 1/2'" wider at the front.

Personally I think 19s would look incredibly silly on this car, buy a 93 Accord and stick them on that - along with a fart-can muffler...

Save the 135 from the ricers!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 10:24 AM   #14
InOttawa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
Using the optional 17s for snows would allow you to get a slightly wider front wheel that would better counteract the native 135i understeer - but it remains to be seen how wide you can go without interfering with the steering geometry or rubbing the tire when turning. I'm hoping we can go at least 1/2'" wider at the front.
Aren't narrow tires more stable on snow? Better grip, I thought.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #15
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOttawa View Post
Yes and no...

I had a long debate on snow tires last winter(don't really want to go there again)...basically from what I figure is this:

for deep snow, narrow are best
for ice, wider are best.

The current philoshpy of winter tires is to generally get a narrower size then you're summer tires. Personnally, I'm thinking in the neighborhood of 215's for my winters on the 1'er. and probably 17's, or possibly even 16's if they will fit(thinking 128, so don't have the huge brakes to content with) to save some $$ on the rims.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 12:13 PM   #16
Klinn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khobin~ View Post
...for deep snow, narrow are best, for ice, wider are best.
A narrower tire will give you a narrower-but-longer tread patch, which I suppose is better for cutting through deep snow. And in Ottawa, that's what we usually need. Not too much ice, but some nice big dumps of snow -- especially this year!

When I got snows for my E46, I was annoyed that I couldn't downsize to 16" rims due to the larger brakes. Had to stay with 17's. But maybe it will all work out OK if they will fit the 135 too.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #17
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinn View Post
A narrower tire will give you a narrower-but-longer tread patch, which I suppose is better for cutting through deep snow. And in Ottawa, that's what we usually need. Not too much ice, but some nice big dumps of snow -- especially this year!

When I got snows for my E46, I was annoyed that I couldn't downsize to 16" rims due to the larger brakes. Had to stay with 17's. But maybe it will all work out OK if they will fit the 135 too.
yeah that's the idea, that the narrow tires will cut int othe snow, while wider tires will tend to "float" over it.

Whereas here the roads tend to be more ice, and compacted snow, so it's the cutting action that's necessarily best, so a wider tire will work too, from my experiences anyways. As I said before, I'm planning for middle of the road width, around 215-225, so that it should be fine in either extreme.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 12:41 AM   #18
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOttawa View Post
Actually I was suggesting you use the optional 17s for your snow tires (which are in fact narrower than the 18s), and buy aftermarket summer wheels with a slightly wider rim than the 18"ers that ship standard with the 135i - that way you'd avoid the understeer the narrower BMW 18" front wheels would give you in non-winter weather.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 03:37 AM   #19
john970
1er
Rep

Quote:
yeah that's the idea, that the narrow tires will cut int othe snow, while wider tires will tend to "float" over it.

Whereas here the roads tend to be more ice, and compacted snow, so it's the cutting action that's necessarily best, so a wider tire will work too, from my experiences anyways. As I said before, I'm planning for middle of the road width, around 215-225, so that it should be fine in either extreme.
Smart advertises this and says their cars are good in the snow, but in my experience this is a myth. A big rubber tire, no matter how narrow, isn't "cutting" anything. The difference in psi is what, maybe 20% at most?

The biggest issue for me is going to be the ground clearance. My A4 has the sport package (lowered from standard setup) and I've had to replace the plastic undercarriage cover already (had it one season).
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #20
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by john970 View Post
Smart advertises this and says their cars are good in the snow, but in my experience this is a myth. A big rubber tire, no matter how narrow, isn't "cutting" anything. The difference in psi is what, maybe 20% at most?

The biggest issue for me is going to be the ground clearance. My A4 has the sport package (lowered from standard setup) and I've had to replace the plastic undercarriage cover already (had it one season).
this guy explains it better...

"but he perpetuated a common fallacy that wide tires "provide less downweight per square inch" than narrow tires. Actually the weight per square inch of any tire is always equal to the air pressure in the tire. Any tire inflated to 32 pounds per square inch, for example, presses down on the pavement with 32 pounds per square inch. Also, tires of various aspect ratios but with the same inflation pressure and supporting the same weight will have contact patches of different shapes but with the same area.
Narrower tires, better for snow, sink deeper because of their different proportions of length and width of the contact patch's shape. The edges of the patch along the sidewall lead to an almost vertical wall that lets the tire sink into snow; the front and rear edges of the patch at the tread lead to a very gradual slope, following the curvature of the tire, that buoys the tire. A narrow tire's contact patch is long and narrow, maximizing steep and minimizing sloping edges. This minimizes flotation and the tire sinks into the hard packed snow underneath where the tread's lugs can get a bite. In contrast, a low profile tire's contact patch is short and wide, minimizing the steep and maximizing the gently sloping edges. This increases flotation and the tire's tread stays in the loose upper layers of snow."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...51C1A966958260

Granted ground clearance can makea difference, but it's a matter of how much snow you're going through, if it's up the bumper, you're probably not getting through, if it's up the bottom of the car, with good tires, shouldn't be too much of an issue.

My friend has an A4, with the sport package, and with his winters on, he's driven through some relatively deep snow(say about 4-5" deep on the road). If you're planning for deeper, maybe you need a truck/suv:thumbup:

Edit: and actually, 205's are probably better choice then 215's...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 10:45 AM   #21
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
this guy explains it better...

"but he perpetuated a common fallacy that wide tires "provide less downweight per square inch" than narrow tires. Actually the weight per square inch of any tire is always equal to the air pressure in the tire. Any tire inflated to 32 pounds per square inch, for example, presses down on the pavement with 32 pounds per square inch. Also, tires of various aspect ratios but with the same inflation pressure and supporting the same weight will have contact patches of different shapes but with the same area.
Narrower tires, better for snow, sink deeper because of their different proportions of length and width of the contact patch's shape. The edges of the patch along the sidewall lead to an almost vertical wall that lets the tire sink into snow; the front and rear edges of the patch at the tread lead to a very gradual slope, following the curvature of the tire, that buoys the tire. A narrow tire's contact patch is long and narrow, maximizing steep and minimizing sloping edges. This minimizes flotation and the tire sinks into the hard packed snow underneath where the tread's lugs can get a bite. In contrast, a low profile tire's contact patch is short and wide, minimizing the steep and maximizing the gently sloping edges. This increases flotation and the tire's tread stays in the loose upper layers of snow."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...51C1A966958260

Granted ground clearance can makea difference, but it's a matter of how much snow you're going through, if it's up the bumper, you're probably not getting through, if it's up the bottom of the car, with good tires, shouldn't be too much of an issue.

My friend has an A4, with the sport package, and with his winters on, he's driven through some relatively deep snow(say about 4-5" deep on the road). If you're planning for deeper, maybe you need a truck/suv:thumbup:

Edit: and actually, 205's are probably better choice then 215's...
I am on 205's and 17"s for winter this year.. they are doing pretty good :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #22
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LazyBmw View Post
I am on 205's and 17"s for winter this year.. they are doing pretty good :biggrin:
yeah right now my Galant has 245's (goodyear Eagle RS-A's) all-seasons, and it does ok...but like I said before, I don't drive through much deep snow.
Appreciate 0