BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-19-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
using the ipod with just the aux port?

ok so i dont really listen to my ipod that much so i didnt spring for the ipod connection and all that but i know the 1 series does come standard with an aux port. How do i connect to it? is it like a double ended ear phone plug?
i know the new 07 sti's had them and also new evos ms3s and so on

any advice is appreciated
thanks!
dave
      12-19-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
haaaaaaaaaalo?
      12-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

You get a male to male earphone jack adapter, and plug it into the earphone jack of the ipod, and the aux in on the car. You control the tracks via the ipod, and have to make sure you shut your ipod off when you leave the car, plus there's no charging happening that way.

It works, and I've done that, but it's pretty basic. Also, for those who are getting nav, the Nav DVD drive plays MP3 dvds, so you can have a 4.7gb disc of MP3s when you don't need the Nav (which is a ton of music).

Both the indash CD and DVD drives play mp3 cds, and show ID3 tag info on the radio (or iDrive) display.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
You get a male to male earphone jack adapter, and plug it into the earphone jack of the ipod, and the aux in on the car. You control the tracks via the ipod, and have to make sure you shut your ipod off when you leave the car, plus there's no charging happening that way.

It works, and I've done that, but it's pretty basic. Also, for those who are getting nav, the Nav DVD drive plays MP3 dvds, so you can have a 4.7gb disc of MP3s when you don't need the Nav (which is a ton of music).

Both the indash CD and DVD drives play mp3 cds, and show ID3 tag info on the radio (or iDrive) display.
Take that cable and plug it into a monster icharger. That way you can charge the ipod and, since you're connecting through the base of the Ipod instead of the headphone jack, you get a better sound.

That's how I have my Ipod set up in my GTi.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
blacknbean
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Quote:
wow i didnt know that. i current have a custom stereo that plays mp3s via the cd drive, but I didnt want to modify my 1er so i was gunna go for the ipod connection (i dont even own an ipod) but if it plays mp3s thru the cd drive then i wont need this at all?! hmmm
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If you have the songs on the MP3 CD in separate folders by artist and album, you can browse though the directories too. It's pretty neat.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 11:47 PM   #7
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
Wow great advice thanks guys!
      12-27-2007, 01:50 PM   #8
e90_m3
Private
Rep
Drives:

Yeah, I was going to get the ipod adapter option until I see that aux is standard for 135i. So there's really no point to pay over $300+ for the adapter option IMO
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #9
The 1
TT > i-vtec
Rep
Drives:

My question is would the addition of the iPod interface be worth it considering this conversation? What are the benefits? How does the interface work?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 02:42 PM   #10
murdoc158
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1 View Post
My question is would the addition of the iPod interface be worth it considering this conversation? What are the benefits? How does the interface work?
I personally think that it is worth it. The standard AUX plug uses the headphone jack of the iPod. That's the worst way to get sound out of it. The best way is with the dock connector.

The AUX port will not charge the iPod either. The AUX port also makes you use the iPod to change songs, artist, albums, etc. The BMW interface will let you change those from the steering wheel or the radio itself so you never have to mess with your iPod while driving.
      12-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #11
The 1
TT > i-vtec
Rep
Drives:

And it does display the playlists and such on the iDrive if the car is equipped with it?

I agree that it is still worth it (though the price seems ridiculous). I have a Pioneer navigation unit in my current car (RSX Type S) with the iPod interface. I love being able to take my music hard drive with me wherever I go. In my opinion, fumbling with the iPod to change the song/artist/playlist etc. is an accident waiting to happen. I can't wait to play around with the iDrive system.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 04:11 PM   #12
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1 View Post
And it does display the playlists and such on the iDrive if the car is equipped with it?
With either iPod adapter or using MP3 cds, it shows playlists and track info on non-iDrive cars too, two lines at a time. Using the aux in shows no info on the display, obviously.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 06:38 AM   #13
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
I am fed going to just use mp3 cds all I need is 5 of them and I will be able to play all of my songs! Thanks Larry
      12-28-2007, 02:51 PM   #14
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoc158 View Post
I personally think that it is worth it. The standard AUX plug uses the headphone jack of the iPod. That's the worst way to get sound out of it. The best way is with the dock connector.
It's the only way to get sound out of it. The line out in the dock connector is just a second headphone output with a fixed volume. You can achieve the same output by turning the volume up about 2/3 and using the headphone jack. There is no way to bypass the iPod amplifier without cracking open the case or sending it to one of the various companies that will do it for you. The Wolfson DAC is hard-wired on the circuit board to the amp. Incidentally, almost all digital audio components fake the line out the same way as it's cheaper and you get roughly the same results. The cheap amps they use do alright (<~.1%THD) as long as you don't push them and keep the volume well below their rated power, as is the case on the line out.

The only exception is a system that treats the iPod as storage (like iTunes) and simply transfers the audio file and then decodes and amplifies it, off of the iPod. The BMW system (or any non-apple system) can't do that as they aren't able to decrypt and play the DRM'd files on the iPod. The USB connector on the bimmer is then used only for control signals only when hooked up to an iPod.

If you are playing compressed music, trust me, the amp and/or DAC is far from the weakest link in your setup. Even if you are using apple's lossless encoder, there will be virtually zero difference in the perceived audio quality in your car. You can test this by playing a CD (which is decoded in the bmw head unit) and then using apples lossless encoder to transfer it to the iPod and playing it though the headphone jack to the aux input on the bimmer.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 04:37 PM   #15
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Ultra-.../dp/B00015GYTU

That is what I use to avoid the line out sound quality issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 05:10 PM   #16
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

The iPod connector is an even better option if you use it with an iPhone. Phone functionality is built into the system, and (I think) you can initiate calls from a button on the steering wheel.

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 05:32 PM   #17
ipp
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2016 M135i

I didn't opt for the iPod kit. I'm just going to buy this BMW iPod pouch and mont it under the arm rest, and plug a monster cable car charger into the 12v outlet under the armrest. Maybe later on I'm going to install it under the panel and let the cord slip out somewere; up to the arm rest. I also have to find the shortest possible 3.5mm headphone cable.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2007, 05:33 PM   #18
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadburn View Post
The iPod connector is an even better option if you use it with an iPhone. Phone functionality is built into the system, and (I think) you can initiate calls from a button on the steering wheel.
I dunno about that. I think that might only work if you've paired the bluetooth phone to the car, independent of the usb connector (and if you have the bluetooth option).
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 03:03 PM   #19
gammagoblin
Rep
Drives:

Thanks, that was a great post. I wasn't sure what kind of connection the dock was, although I assumed it was data only and not also a line out. Removes a lot of the voodoo and placebo factor from connection types. I'll stick with my aux in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by john970 View Post
It's the only way to get sound out of it. The line out in the dock connector is just a second headphone output with a fixed volume. You can achieve the same output by turning the volume up about 2/3 and using the headphone jack. There is no way to bypass the iPod amplifier without cracking open the case or sending it to one of the various companies that will do it for you. The Wolfson DAC is hard-wired on the circuit board to the amp. Incidentally, almost all digital audio components fake the line out the same way as it's cheaper and you get roughly the same results. The cheap amps they use do alright (<~.1%THD) as long as you don't push them and keep the volume well below their rated power, as is the case on the line out.

The only exception is a system that treats the iPod as storage (like iTunes) and simply transfers the audio file and then decodes and amplifies it, off of the iPod. The BMW system (or any non-apple system) can't do that as they aren't able to decrypt and play the DRM'd files on the iPod. The USB connector on the bimmer is then used only for control signals only when hooked up to an iPod.

If you are playing compressed music, trust me, the amp and/or DAC is far from the weakest link in your setup. Even if you are using apple's lossless encoder, there will be virtually zero difference in the perceived audio quality in your car. You can test this by playing a CD (which is decoded in the bmw head unit) and then using apples lossless encoder to transfer it to the iPod and playing it though the headphone jack to the aux input on the bimmer.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 12:54 PM   #20
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:
I dunno about that. I think that might only work if you've paired the bluetooth phone to the car, independent of the usb connector (and if you have the bluetooth option).
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 12:54 AM   #21
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Here is the biggest trouble with the headphone output on any ipod. it is a filtered output, that has EQ settings that are meant to go with tiny little speakers (the headphones). Nicer cables can't help an inherent frequency problem. Your only option to get decent sound out of the ipod, and into your aux input, is to use a product similar to what Evolved posted earlier.

I have a similar product, and once I turned the volume on the amp on the lineout down just a bit, to prevent distortion. I have the griffin version of this product, it has a little wheel to turn down it's output. Pretty good until I can rectify the bummer of no usb/ipod interface.

Here is a linky for Belkin Auto Kit
      09-16-2008, 08:01 AM   #22
pmullin7
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Another option

I use this kit http://us.kensington.com/html/14492.html

in my cab. I set up the remote control for my iPhone on the parking brake, rather than on the steering wheel as suggested for two reasons. I have the sport steering wheel so it barely fit, and I thought was a little intrusive there.

I also have Bluetooth so the phone fully integrates this way. No USB required... so what I do is use the Genius function in iTunes to build a few lists of 100 songs each in a theme and start it playing when I get in the car.

Mind you, I also have the satellite radio which accomplishes many of the same desires. But this is the niftiest connection kit I've seen!
Appreciate 0