BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
str8line
Private
Rep
Drives: M4, X6, X5, X1, i3, X6M, 911

A reasonable deposit for the 1?

My dealer wants $2000 to put my name on a list for a European delivery 135i. I'm having trouble giving them that kind of money just to reserve a spot in line. I offered $500 and haven't heard back from them(6 days). I heard a ED doesn't go against their allotment-can anyone verify this?

Once I actually build the car, I wouldn't have a problem with putting down a deposit but it just seems like a scam for them to charge that much for a space in line. I'm going to start calling other dealers in the Western region today.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Honestly, I'm not sure there's any compelling reason to put a deposit down at all for ED.

My (admittedly very basic) understanding of ED is that you're not affecting their allocation at all, so you're not even getting a place in line.

I'm sure someone with intimate knowledge of the process (callling Irv) can say for certain.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

ED cars do not come out of their allottment. $2k is totally insane, and is more than I've heard of for M5's... That dealer is a shyster. I would run, not walk, from there.

Btw, ED does have a maximum # of cars they will allow for ED, so as to not crowd the delivery center. Since BMW Welt opened, that shouldn't be as much of an issue though.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
Templedogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, Trailblazer SS, 1934 PU

It is a little high for ED, but I say if you have the money and know this is the car you want, do it. You will just be that much closer to having it paid off. Personally I would tell them $2K for guaranteed first allocation spot, but if you want to do ED that is different.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

I'm hearing more stories about dealers doing this. Media buzz is probably sending a lot of people into their showrooms asking questions, so they're hoping they can get fat deposits now.

$2,000 is insane. $500 is fair, and many people on this board have popped for $1,000 deposits if it guarantees them an early slot.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
The 1
TT > i-vtec
Rep
Drives:

I need some enlightenment. What is a European Delivery? :iono:
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 1 View Post
I need some enlightenment. What is a European Delivery? :iono:
You order the car here, pick it up in Munich, drive it around, drop it off in one of 14 places in Europe, get it shipped back to your local dealer. It rocks, plus you save $$ on the car!

http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/europeandelivery/
-and-
http://www.edbmw.com

Plus, there's lots of info here if you search for European Delivery or ED on this and pretty much any BMW site.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8line View Post
My dealer wants $2000 to put my name on a list for a European delivery 135i. I'm having trouble giving them that kind of money just to reserve a spot in line. I offered $500 and haven't heard back from them(6 days). I heard a ED doesn't go against their allotment-can anyone verify this?

Once I actually build the car, I wouldn't have a problem with putting down a deposit but it just seems like a scam for them to charge that much for a space in line. I'm going to start calling other dealers in the Western region today.
I'm planning on doing an ED on my 135i this coming June, & my CA tells me that he sees no reason to even take a deposit from me for the car until we start the actual ordering process.

As others have mentioned, ED cars do not come out of the dealerships allocation, so what exactly is it that you are putting a deposit on?:iono:

Personally, I think it's pretty foolish to tie up $2k this far in advance on something that you really don't need.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 02:14 PM   #9
The 1
TT > i-vtec
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
You order the car here, pick it up in Munich, drive it around, drop it off in one of 14 places in Europe, get it shipped back to your local dealer. It rocks, plus you save $$ on the car!

http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/europeandelivery/
-and-
http://www.edbmw.com

Plus, there's lots of info here if you search for European Delivery or ED on this and pretty much any BMW site.
Oh wow! I'd +rep if there was a rep system lol. Thanks for the help! :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
The 1
TT > i-vtec
Rep
Drives:

I read through the BMW ED information and it looks like you're responsible for the shipping charges to the states. Is this correct?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #11
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
I read through the BMW ED information and it looks like you're responsible for the shipping charges to the states. Is this correct?
No, actually your destination charge covers the shipping to the States. It's the same $775 charge whether you do ED or not, I believe.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #12
The 1
TT > i-vtec
Rep
Drives:

Well then you might as well use the difference in price and get a vacation in Europe out of it. This will have to be taken under advisement for sure...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 05:01 PM   #13
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Well then you might as well use the difference in price and get a vacation in Europe out of it. This will have to be taken under advisement for sure...
Yea, it's a pretty sweet deal if you have the time to take a week or so in Europe.:w00t:

The only bad thing is you drop off your new Bimmer & don't see it again for six weeks!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 05:58 PM   #14
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

$10?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #15
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbent View Post
Yea, it's a pretty sweet deal if you have the time to take a week or so in Europe.:w00t:

The only bad thing is you drop off your new Bimmer & don't see it again for six weeks!
Very true, re:6 weeks. However, you get the opportunity to drive yourself, your wife, and 2 kids across Germany, France, and Spain, reaching 145mph for an hours at a time, with bags for 4 in the car. Then, you realize you get to have that same sweet ride back in the States... (albeit at a slower pace) :smile:

Priceless.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 07:59 AM   #16
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Very true, re:6 weeks. However, you get the opportunity to drive yourself, your wife, and 2 kids across Germany, France, and Spain, reaching 145mph for an hours at a time, with bags for 4 in the car. Then, you realize you get to have that same sweet ride back in the States... (albeit at a slower pace) :smile:

Priceless.
Exactly!
Except we're leaving the two kids at home!:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #17
The 1
TT > i-vtec
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Exactly!
Except we're leaving the two kids at home!:thumbup:
QFT

We just had a baby girl that my wife has a hard time leaving. It'll probably take a crow bar to get her out of the house, in the cab, and on a plane. There's no way I'm taking my brand new baby in a car going that fast lol.

We talked about it last night and we're gonna go all out and stop in NYC on our way to see a show and probably do some shopping. I'll probably be insanely anxious the whole time to get to Munich and drive my 1...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #18
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
QFT

We just had a baby girl that my wife has a hard time leaving. It'll probably take a crow bar to get her out of the house, in the cab, and on a plane. There's no way I'm taking my brand new baby in a car going that fast lol.

We talked about it last night and we're gonna go all out and stop in NYC on our way to see a show and probably do some shopping. I'll probably be insanely anxious the whole time to get to Munich and drive my 1...
Yea. it's a lot easier to leave the daughters behind when they have their own cars & can take care of the dog & house while we're gone.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 12:51 PM   #19
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea. it's a lot easier to leave the daughters behind when they have their own cars & can take care of the dog & house while we're gone.

Unless they want to go to the UK. Mine are already ramping up for another ED and want to go to London. Last ED, my wife wanted to go to Spain. I can't complain, becauase they are all cool places, and I'm picking up a new car for me.

I just don't know if I can pull off a 2+ week vacation for 4 in the Spring (both $$ and getting time off wise).
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 02:05 PM   #20
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Unless they want to go to the UK. Mine are already ramping up for another ED and want to go to London. Last ED, my wife wanted to go to Spain. I can't complain, becauase they are all cool places, and I'm picking up a new car for me.

I just don't know if I can pull off a 2+ week vacation for 4 in the Spring (both $$ and getting time off wise).
Yea, taking the kids along really starts to eat into the financial advantages of doing an ED.

Plus the time off really is an issue when you're self employed like myself. I can take off as many days as I wan, but it does'nt pay to well!
Appreciate 0