BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-01-2007, 10:19 AM   #1
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Are there any sites which cover the (135i) engine internals?

I am interested in the internals of this engine and have done some searching and found a few pages .. anyone have any direct links with more information on the 135i engine?

thanks,
Crowley
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Crowley - have you checked the 'sticky' thread at the top of this forum?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Galligan
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Yup excellent info there. Also might wanna check e90post's forced induction forum -

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

bah .. sorry about that ... I skipped right over it !!

I am looking for specifics around what is forged or not ..

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

AFAIK, the crank is forged, beyond that it's all dark . . .
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
AFAIK, the crank is forged, beyond that it's all dark . . .

That's what I figured and was hoping to shed some light on. My consern is that from the factory it is very low boost .. that being said .. did they do this because the internals (other than the crank) are not forged or just because this is how they chose to do it ..

Thanks,
Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

Well . . . They are running fairly high compression, 10.2:1, IIRC. The higher compression and the nibbling around the edges of a stratfied charge setup (with the direct injection) may be a good reason for the fairly low boost pressures (that and to try to reduce warranty work ; -).
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 01:07 PM   #8
chemhalo
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
That's what I figured and was hoping to shed some light on. My consern is that from the factory it is very low boost .. that being said .. did they do this because the internals (other than the crank) are not forged or just because this is how they chose to do it ..

Thanks,
Crowley
I think what BMW chose was quick spool. They wanted a turbocharged engine that did not feel turbocharged (very little lag). Thats why the turbos are so tiny. Of course, tiny turbos means you cant flow a lot of air (there is a huge difference between 18psi on stock turbos, and 18psi on a larger turbo--air density). Sure, tuners can get more boost out of them, but BMW has two things to consider with the boost level. One is the wear on the turbos, and two... probably the most important.... is the 4.0L V8 in the M3.

I wouldnt be worried about the block and internals at all with the stock turbos.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 01:15 PM   #9
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemhalo View Post
I think what BMW chose was quick spool. They wanted a turbocharged engine that did not feel turbocharged (very little lag). Thats why the turbos are so tiny. Of course, tiny turbos means you cant flow a lot of air (there is a huge difference between 18psi on stock turbos, and 18psi on a larger turbo--air density). Sure, tuners can get more boost out of them, but BMW has two things to consider with the boost level. One is the wear on the turbos, and two... probably the most important.... is the 4.0L V8 in the M3.

I wouldnt be worried about the block and internals at all with the stock turbos.
Thanks for your input!! .. my past dealings with forced induction was on my 04 cobra (supercharged) and my current mazdaspeed 6 (turbocharged). The mazda too has a tiny turbo (only 1 though) but I see around 15psi or over 1 bar .. I thought I read where this is only .4 bar which would be about 6psi if I am correct and that is where I was thinking it seemed fairly low .. (is that .4 per turbo and .8 total??)

You make some very good points though in regards to this statement : "One is the wear on the turbos, and two... probably the most important.... is the 4.0L V8 in the M3."

Thanks,
Crowley

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 05:54 PM   #10
boostin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY00 S2000

Quote:
Thanks for your input!! .. my past dealings with forced induction was on my 04 cobra (supercharged) and my current mazdaspeed 6 (turbocharged). The mazda too has a tiny turbo (only 1 though) but I see around 15psi or over 1 bar .. I thought I read where this is only .4 bar which would be about 6psi if I am correct and that is where I was thinking it seemed fairly low .. (is that .4 per turbo and .8 total??)

You make some very good points though in regards to this statement : "One is the wear on the turbos, and two... probably the most important.... is the 4.0L V8 in the M3."

Thanks,
Crowley
you can't compare different turbo engines because...well, they're two different engines. psi doesn't just equal horsepower when it comes to turbo cars. the size of the turbo, size of the motor, intercooler design, compression etc. affect the nature of the motor and how high the manufacturer will choose to have the boost. also, its even harder when one is a single turbo and one is a TT.

-Chris
MY00 S2000 #8712
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 07:19 PM   #11
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
I am interested in the internals of this engine and have done some searching and found a few pages .. anyone have any direct links with more information on the 135i engine?

thanks,
Crowley

Yes. The engine code is named the BMW N54

Just google it...!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 08:56 AM   #12
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted View Post
you can't compare different turbo engines because...well, they're two different engines. psi doesn't just equal horsepower when it comes to turbo cars. the size of the turbo, size of the motor, intercooler design, compression etc. affect the nature of the motor and how high the manufacturer will choose to have the boost. also, its even harder when one is a single turbo and one is a TT.

-Chris
Thanks ... it is about the same for superchargers as well .. depending on backpressure and how much air you bring in can affect your PSI reading and depending you can make more power with less PSI ....

Crowley

Appreciate 0