F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Genuine M sport (Brembo) brake pads - ins vs outs?
GetBMWParts

10-04-2023, 06:19 AM   #1
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Genuine M sport (Brembo) brake pads - ins vs outs?

Just opened my front brake pads box, which are BMW Jurid pads for the Blue 4 pots.

I take it the pads marked "OUT" are the outboard ones?

There is nothing in NewTIS about it, or in the enclosed instructions (that I could barely read!).

The unmarked (presumably inboard) pads look identical to the "OUT" ones, except for slightly different backing shims. Is that the only difference? Just squeal control? No differences in pad shape or tapered thickness etc?

OEMS do funny things sometimes and following a failed brake refresh with ATE aftermarket parts (they warped within 3 months, badly!), this time around I'm wanting to do things to the absolute letter!

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 06:52 AM   #2
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

I had that 'oh sh*t, which one's which' moment when i cleaned up my brakes this summer. They looked completely identical to me (TRW Pads) and they perfectly fitted both ways. So yeah, i think mine were identical.

If yours say OUT though i'd agree it would be logical to put it on the outter most point of the caliper. Really not sure why they would have different shims.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 07:24 AM   #3
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWeasel View Post
Just opened my front brake pads box, which are BMW Jurid pads for the Blue 4 pots.

I take it the pads marked "OUT" are the outboard ones?

There is nothing in NewTIS about it, or in the enclosed instructions (that I could barely read!).

The unmarked (presumably inboard) pads look identical to the "OUT" ones, except for slightly different backing shims. Is that the only difference? Just squeal control? No differences in pad shape or tapered thickness etc?

OEMS do funny things sometimes and following a failed brake refresh with ATE aftermarket parts (they warped within 3 months, badly!), this time around I'm wanting to do things to the absolute letter!

TIA!
Can't remember now, but doesn't only one pad have the groove for the wear sensor?

If not, put out to the outside of the caliper (ie wheel side)
      10-04-2023, 08:29 AM   #4
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep

All 4 pads have wear sensor cut outs But yeah, I will put the OUT ones on the wheel side

It's boggled my mind tbh, but obviously there is something different about them if they went to the trouble of labelling them!

I don't recall seeing any left right handing on the ATE pads, so I'm concerned the failure may have been my doing

This has just reminded me about my father in law's Merc making horrendous noises from the front brakes a few years ago. I had a look for him and the Mercedes tech had fitted the pads back to front, so there's definitely something in this! Exactly what, I have no clue because his Merc inboard and outboard pads looked identical as well

The Merc labelling was much bigger and more obvious though.
Appreciate 1
danb19791953.50
      10-04-2023, 08:40 AM   #5
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

I guess it's so that if you need to strip the brake system down you can always put the correct pad back in the correct side of the caliper? I usually end up scribing I/O in the relevant pads when stripping brakes down for this reason.
Appreciate 1
johnung4531.00
      10-05-2023, 07:24 AM   #6
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
I guess it's so that if you need to strip the brake system down you can always put the correct pad back in the correct side of the caliper? I usually end up scribing I/O in the relevant pads when stripping brakes down for this reason.
That is certainly a logical explanation! I didn't think of that!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 04:07 PM   #7
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWeasel View Post
That is certainly a logical explanation! I didn't think of that!
I'm not saying it's why they're like that but the logic works in my head, and it would save a lot of 'of FFS, which side did that one come out of' when you forget to mark them and inevitably move them and forget which one was which. The BMW isn't so bad for needing regular strip downs but the Impreza has the old AP CP5200 calipers which are track/race and don't have dust seals so I was forever cleaning out the pistons and lubricating them. I soon learned to mark at least one pad!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 11:18 AM   #8
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep

Just for closure on this, I got my digital calipers out and the only difference between the outer and inner pads is the backing shim.

'OUT' on the left, inner on the right. Therefore it must be some kind of squeal control, not that it works Also useful as Ennoch said, for putting the pads back in the right order if they have to come out in the future for some reason.

I also noticed L and R on the things poking out the top. What are they for?

Appreciate 0