BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-04-2007, 01:28 AM   #1
Gldnrkt
Junior Baller
Rep
Drives:

Troll no more.....good bye Audi, hello BMW!!

A quick hello and off I go. Been working with the VAG 1.8T engine for 6 yrs now. Always wanted an M3 but they're sooooo expensive,so I tuned my A4 to 400 and beat M3's instead. lol Anyways, heard about the 335I and got excited...saw the price and got less excited.....saw the 135i and got excited again, so here I am with you fellas now. lol

Anyways, always being a turbo/performance geek I decided to poke around teh intArw3bs and see what I can find. Obviously nothing for the 1series yet, but seems there's lots out for the 335i !! Found this site (you guys rock BTW, tons of info on the 1 series so far and it gets me drooling everyday). Even had a friend of mine with a Supra comment on how badass he thinks the 135i is gonna be...."Smooth and sleek like a Bimmer should be, but fast as stink...and it's so tiny I just wanna hug it." lol

Anyways, found this link, looks like the aftermarket is taking off for this engine already.

http://www.335ishop.com/home.php

Jr. Ride - 2007 HD Sportster (Roadster) 1200 (V&H Slips ons, stg1 re-map) 45/60 mpg!! Sweeeett!!!

Hopefully soon-135i, White (is there any other color for a Bimmer??) lol
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 01:37 AM   #2
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

I once had a 2002 1.8T Jetta. Great car,,, fun engine to mod!

Welcome. You will not be disappointed.
      10-04-2007, 05:53 AM   #3
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

It's not really that tiny, and it won't be a big power motor like a 2JZ-GTE... But it remains to be seen where it can be taken.

Can't wait to see you do it.

My wife and I have been VW fans for a long time, BTW. She just sold her 1.8T; we planned work after the warranty ended, which never happened. Up until recently I had a 2.0T GLI. Great motors.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 06:22 AM   #4
StreetSpeed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 VW GTI 2.0T

Me too

I'm with ya. I've got a 2006 GTI (my 3rd VW, and the only cars I've ever owned) with all kinds of mods, good for a 13.8 @ 101 in the 1/4 mile and all kinds of fun around a road course. But after an event at Mont Tremblant last week I realized that front wheel drive simply does not a race car make. So I was looking at used M3s to buy solely as a toy and track car, but again, those damn things hold their value a little too well.

So then I start thinking what's small, fast, rear wheel drive, light, that I don't need to strip the interior out of it, that is fun to drive, cheap to mod (as in add a chip, shocks, and brake pads and I'm golden), and around $30000. A bolt of lightening hit me and I remember hearing about the 135i. So that's it. I may sell my GTI and get out of the lease early or I may keep it for the next 2 years (it IS a great car). Either way, the 135i WILL be my next car. I probably SHOULD wait the 2 years so the tuners can get things sorted out with it.

So I'm unofficially welcoming myself to the BMW family.

Edit: Wait. $36000? 3400lbs? Looks like Motor Trend got some facts more than a little wrong. Hmmmmmmmmmm...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 07:07 AM   #5
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSpeed View Post
IBut after an event at Mont Tremblant last week I realized that front wheel drive simply does not a race car make.
What a really great circuit that is!! That increasing radius turn at the bottom of the south loop is a real neat corner - and one that'll point out why FWD ain't always a driver's friend.

As to the weight/cost issue - we'll have to wait on cost, but there is a blurb in one of the BMW press items that mentions a weight/power ratio of 5.1 kg/hp. That would be the EU weight (which includes a driver and 7 kg of luggage - think maybe 75 total kg). At a rated 300 HP that takes it to 3366 lbs, minus the driver/luggage it'll be a bit over 3200 lbs.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
Thorsten111
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

@StreetSpeed

Hi there,
i have got a MK V GTI too and the 135i will be my first BMW. Had the same Problems with FWD, if its wet it is awesome to drive it in 2 and 3rd gear...
So a few months ago i have driven a chipped S3 8P(310HP) and was very impressed how the car accelerated(esapecially from about 60mph to 1xx mph). Bigger turbo makes big difference here.
And now I hope to get nearly the same performance with the 135i without Mods.
Why the 135i and not the S3?
Heart about big problems with 3.2 and 2.0 TFSI Models at VAG. If u are interested in that and u can translate German to English look in the Forum "motor-talk".
And the S3 8P only has 4 Cylinders, for the Price of it i think this is too expensive for what u get...
Now tomorrow is my first testdrive!! with the great R6 3.0 tt in the 335i. I hope that i will not be disappointed.

Greets
Thorsten
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
Gldnrkt
Junior Baller
Rep
Drives:

Exactly!! I had debated doing an A3 with the 3.2 v6 and an auto, but 40K!! no way man!!

I'm just excited that the car is so potent. Our american and European friends will remember the B5 Audi S4 bi-turbo. How easy was it to mod that car!! (overseas there was the RS4 which was a monster). Chip, exhaust amd gutted pre-cats and this thing moved out!! Hell, just upgrading from k03's to k04's with good tuning (APR stg3, AWE-Tuning stg3 etc etc) the cars were seeing 450-500+ at the crank....no problems (oh...and sooooo fun to drive too).

So, coming from a turbo to another turbo, i think this will be a fun trip. I'm just wondering (after seeing how the downpipes are made) how much of a PITA it'll be to swap DP's. BMW did make it easier my using something similiar to v-band clamps on the DP's and turbo outlet pipes (which is a BIIIIIIG plus). Looking at some of the pictures from the 335I, this poor engine is choked from the factory. With a good tune (Vishnu?) DP's, exhaust, better FMIC, hell, maybe even a better intake setup and this car should scream. 400-450hp should NOT be an issue.

Now, how long the little bitty turbos will last, that's a whole issue all together. On the VAG cars, the k03's were crap. I killed mine at 28K on my 1.8T golf. The S4's crap them out between 50-60K miles. If only we had a tube manifold and gt35r............lol

Jr. Ride - 2007 HD Sportster (Roadster) 1200 (V&H Slips ons, stg1 re-map) 45/60 mpg!! Sweeeett!!!

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 11:36 AM   #8
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gldnrkt View Post
Looking at some of the pictures from the 335I, this poor engine is choked from the factory. With a good tune (Vishnu?) DP's, exhaust, better FMIC, hell, maybe even a better intake setup and this car should scream. 400-450hp should NOT be an issue.
I think this remains to be seen--this engine may not be the 1.8T of inline sixes...

I have mentioned previously, in another thread:
Quote:
Alpina's B3 BiTurbo is out now. To the N54 they added:
1. Forged Mahle pistons, CR down to 9.4:1
2. New Engine Mangament mapping
3. 16psi boost

360hp/369tq

That's going to be the tough part of the N54. Those turbos just can't push much air. Alpina obviously didn't feel comfortable with the stock compression ratio, and lowered it a tad to offset the upped boost. They also spec'd forged pistons; anyone know if the stock N54 pistons are forged? Neither of these things are being done by Vishnu et al. I don't know if Alpina is just being very conservative, or if they found some longevity problems with stock pistons/cr. They are a fairly conservative firm.

It will be fun to watch tuners do snail upgrades and see what this thing can take... But it's clear that it will be a challenge to make big power. Alpina claims they worked on the EM for a year to get it well sorted.
And:

Quote:
What concerns me is if the pistons aren't forged in the stocker, and Alpina both lowered CR and installed forged pistons, this seems to indicate they had some issues playing with the stock parts.

Like you said--they're built and warrantied, so they have a vested interest in longevity. But it is a bit concerning.
Like I said, it remains to be seen. Hopefully you'll be the one educating us on the strength and potential of the stock motor.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 12:14 PM   #9
Gldnrkt
Junior Baller
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
I think this remains to be seen--this engine may not be the 1.8T of inline sixes...

I have mentioned previously, in another thread:

And:

Like I said, it remains to be seen. Hopefully you'll be the one educating us on the strength and potential of the stock motor.

Very true. Hopefully one of our "big brothers" (335i owners) will pop one of these babys first and let us see what it's really made of.

Also, the 1.8T has it's losses too. Depending on the engine you had (there were many 1.8Ts out there) some had forged parts, others didn't. Some had slightly stronger rods, some didn't. Some guys got 500whp all day long, others saw 300whp and would launch the rods out the side of the blocks (those were always fun to look at). lol

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #10
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Yep, and Yep!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 06:22 PM   #11
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

I would not just be worried about solely our little turbos/rods. The fuel system and tranny are big concerns for me. So before I go up to 400whp want to make sure it's not totally unreliable. We still have one thing on our side, time!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 10:33 PM   #12
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

^Thats why I'm getting the 6 speed manual. Because then the clutch becomes the wear point.
      10-05-2007, 01:37 PM   #13
Thorsten111
Private
Rep

Hi,

had my testdrive with the 335i today. This will be a great motor in the 135i, awesome...
But i must say the 335i is a little bit too heavy, the handling of my GTI is way better(ok my GTI has not stock suspension i have a Bilstein PSS9 B16).
But the motor is so hot that i wouldnt care:thumbup:
What a sound, i was on autobahn and pulled it to 250km/h.
Couldnt sleep last night and this night i think i even cannot.
I WANT AN AWESOME 135i, I get really crazy, my Girlfriend says I am mad...
But i know u understand what i mean...
:eyebulge:
Thorsten
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2007, 02:17 PM   #14
Gldnrkt
Junior Baller
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsten111 View Post
Hi,

had my testdrive with the 335i today. This will be a great motor in the 135i, awesome...
But i must say the 335i is a little bit too heavy, the handling of my GTI is way better(ok my GTI has not stock suspension i have a Bilstein PSS9 B16).
But the motor is so hot that i wouldnt care:thumbup:
What a sound, i was on autobahn and pulled it to 250km/h.
Couldnt sleep last night and this night i think i even cannot.
I WANT AN AWESOME 135i, I get really crazy, my Girlfriend says I am mad...
But i know u understand what i mean...
:eyebulge:
Thorsten
Thor, I hear ya loud and clear!! You Germans are as crazy as we are here in the states when it comes to cool cars!! Except you have a nice open stretch of highway on which to test your vehicles. We........do not. (legally )

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2007, 02:31 PM   #15
Thorsten111
Private
Rep

Great forum with great users here
The autobahn is cool thats right, but its not all fun here, cause of Traffic jam and some speed limits.
But i agree with u, sometimes its hard to follow the Speed limits
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #16
AW09M3
1addict, and proud
Rep
Drives: M3

Welcome to the bandwagon! I also came from a B5 1.8T. I'm going to miss it...Until I get my 135i!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2007, 06:48 PM   #17
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo View Post
^Thats why I'm getting the 6 speed manual. Because then the clutch becomes the wear point.
The 135i will be my DD and with NY traffic I don't want to deal with it. If I had the money to afford a second car the 135i would definitely be manual.

Damn too much time to still wait!!! Already have a countdown to March on my computer desktop.....
Appreciate 0