BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-26-2007, 09:20 AM   #1
M00C0W25
Rep
Drives:

European Delivery Question

Yes, I have already searched and read the other 400 ED posts. Quick question, if I plan on leasing through ED, I don't have to worry about any waiting lists since it is not coming from dealer allocation and I will be able to order the exact car I want (color, options, etc), correct?

Thanks,
Matt

(Sorry, meant to post this in the Pricing forum, but I cannot delete/move the post)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

That's a good question. There still has to be some limit on how many ED cars a dealer can order, if only because total production is limited at the factory and so BMW must have some firm basis for allocating the cars.

Also consider that there may be an ED waiting list at some dealers. Even if ED cars don't come out of the dealer's allocation, I seriously doubt they could submit 15 ED orders the day the car is released.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #3
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I think you're on the right track...

AFAIK... the dealer can order any number of ED cars.
BUT it's limited as too a slot in the order system to have it placed into production.

Soooo, order 10 today = yes; but they would get stretched out going into production.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #4
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Soooo, order 10 today = yes; but they would get stretched out going into production.
That makes sense. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 10:40 AM   #5
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00C0W25 View Post
... I will be able to order the exact car I want (color, options, etc), correct?...
Yes, assuming you were talking about U.S. colors, options, etc.
      09-26-2007, 11:37 AM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

One important thing to note is that ED is not limitless. BMWAG only allows a certain number of ED's per month/week/day, since they have to attend to all of those people at the delivery center.

At the Freimann delivery center, if you were there early, you could put your name in and wait while having free breakfast/lunch in the cafe', which was also a nice perk. I expect there to be an even better "waiting room" in BMW Welt.

That said, the numbers allowed may increase due to the opening of the new BMW Welt delivery center next month. That's just a guess, but probably a good one.

You are correct about them not coming out of the dealer's allocation though. I understand there is more paperwork to do, but really, it's free money for them, above and beyond what they can possibly make in a month, since they are limited to their allocation numbers (for all models except ED cars).
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
ppDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

if ED pricing for the 135 is at 33000, does that price include tax, tag, title, destination?

if not, then the car with all those extras added will come out somewhere close to $36K.

am i right?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaBLoS View Post
if ED pricing for the 135 is at 33000, does that price include tax, tag, title, destination?

if not, then the car with all those extras added will come out somewhere close to $36K.

am i right?
You will always pay your local sales tax, title, registration, etc.

Not sure about destination.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
You will always pay your local sales tax, title, registration, etc.

Not sure about destination.
The usual destination charges ($595, last time I bought) are still on top of the price. This will cover the shipping costs from the drop off to your local dealer.

There is no additional registration/insurance fee for ED, unless you want to stay more than the 14 days that the free insurance covers you for, in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #10
ppDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

awww man. 33000 for the car, $2310 for tax (7%), $ 210 for tag and title and $595 for destination.

dang, doesn't look so pretty anymore: total price is $36115.00

can you negotiate that 33000 ED price for a lower price?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 01:16 PM   #11
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Start at invoice and deal from there. Even with ED. I'm not sure if BMW has 'holdback' for dealers. And BMW's invoice is a higher percentage of MSRP than most US makers. So the deal may not look as 'sweet' as say a slow selling Ford Five Hu . . . ,errr, Taurus.

YMMV (as always and of course ; -).
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 01:18 PM   #12
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaBLoS View Post
can you negotiate that 33000 ED price for a lower price?
Yes. There is an invoice price for ED, too, but good luck finding a dealer that feels like negotiating is on a brand new model.

You'll pay TTL on any new car, so it's not like the 1er is worse than any other $33k car. ED is not some secret way to get a 1-Series for cheap. It's basically a way to subsidize a vacation to Europe by getting your BMW for a lower price.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 01:35 PM   #13
IrvRobinson2
Banned
Rep
Drives:

so, where should I start?

ED cars don't come out of the dealer's allocation, excepting M cars. But, you're right that BMW might limit how many cars a dealer can order, and the limit is set only because there are not enough cars or open slots. It happened recently with the 335i coupe which has been selling like crazy and BMW was running short.
We're all expecting that starting in Jan, or early 2008, the Welt will accommodate more US European Deliveries and therefore the slots will increase.

Now regarding the price issue: Destination and Handling fee is always charged, regardless if it's an ED car or just a regular lot purchase.

And yes, you guys are right, the ED price is usually negotiated from the invoice price and up.
I can't really say how much over the invoice the dealers will charge, since it's too early to know exactly how "hot" the car is. It all depends on each individual dealership

Did I miss anything? I was typing this fast
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 01:54 PM   #14
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

Irv, as always, you're right on the money.

BTW, does BMW have holdback? I know they do spiffs from time to time, they show up in Automotive News.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2007, 07:38 AM   #15
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Irv, as always, you're right on the money.

BTW, does BMW have holdback? I know they do spiffs from time to time, they show up in Automotive News.
Agreed, Irv is right on the money. :wink:

Holdbacks do occur, but I highly doubt there will be any for new model, and that information has historically been super uber guarded info.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2007, 08:08 AM   #16
housy
Rep
Drives:

36k$?! Why the 135i is so much cheaper for US Guys?! In Switzerland the 135i will cost without any extras 50k$!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 10:25 AM   #17
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

If you guys dont mind, can you answer a few questions I have regarding ED...this topic seems to be "all over the place" on this website, and quite frankly, confusing to me....ED seems intriguing to me as i wouldnt mind taking a 5 day trip to Germany to pick up a car and drive on some of the best roads in the world....i know there is a BMW website with a guy's name associated with it who is an expert with ED....I just dont want to pester the poor guy , nor do I want any sort of sales pitch yet

1) ok, those of you in the know: Lets say I wanted a 135 with leather and auto, that's it....does ordering ED assure that I can get this exact car in the color combo I want?what is typical lead-time from the date I order in states?
2) Do you feel based on #1 that the "discount" I will receive will pay for round trip tix for 2 to Munich (or whatever city it is I need to go to take delivery) as well as hotel for let's say, 4 days?
3) With their ED program, does BMW have a travel program with preferred hotels , airfare, et al?
4) Logistics....does BMW have transportation from a hotel or airport directly to the factory to pick up car?
5) Planning: When you order a vehicle through ED, are you given a concrete specific date the vehicle is ready?...what I'm concerned about is planning a trip i.e. plane reservations, hotel reservations without knowing a date......the sooner you make plane reservations, the lower the cost...i expect this is exponentially so with international flights....
6) OK ,I've accepted delivery and I've enjoyed the car, driven the Autobahn, ate some great Weiswurst, drank some good bier, and its time to go home....where do I take the car for delivery to the states?...is the destination charge that I pay cover me for the shipping?...also, is the car insured through BMW or my insurer when I take delivery at the factory and I'm tooling around Germany?

I know these are alot of Qs(i'll prob have more) but this ED thing really has me interested .....Thank you for your graciousness !!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 11:08 AM   #18
ppDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESLAASTRO View Post
If you guys dont mind, can you answer a few questions I have regarding ED...this topic seems to be "all over the place" on this website, and quite frankly, confusing to me....ED seems intriguing to me as i wouldnt mind taking a 5 day trip to Germany to pick up a car and drive on some of the best roads in the world....i know there is a BMW website with a guy's name associated with it who is an expert with ED....I just dont want to pester the poor guy , nor do I want any sort of sales pitch yet

1) ok, those of you in the know: Lets say I wanted a 135 with leather and auto, that's it....does ordering ED assure that I can get this exact car in the color combo I want?what is typical lead-time from the date I order in states?
2) Do you feel based on #1 that the "discount" I will receive will pay for round trip tix for 2 to Munich (or whatever city it is I need to go to take delivery) as well as hotel for let's say, 4 days?
3) With their ED program, does BMW have a travel program with preferred hotels , airfare, et al?
4) Logistics....does BMW have transportation from a hotel or airport directly to the factory to pick up car?
5) Planning: When you order a vehicle through ED, are you given a concrete specific date the vehicle is ready?...what I'm concerned about is planning a trip i.e. plane reservations, hotel reservations without knowing a date......the sooner you make plane reservations, the lower the cost...i expect this is exponentially so with international flights....
6) OK ,I've accepted delivery and I've enjoyed the car, driven the Autobahn, ate some great Weiswurst, drank some good bier, and its time to go home....where do I take the car for delivery to the states?...is the destination charge that I pay cover me for the shipping?...also, is the car insured through BMW or my insurer when I take delivery at the factory and I'm tooling around Germany?

I know these are alot of Qs(i'll prob have more) but this ED thing really has me interested .....Thank you for your graciousness !!!!
1) your car would be built to order. u can get anything and everything you want.
it takes about 3 months for you to pick up the car and 6-8 after u pick up the car to receive it in the states.

2) with the right planning... YES (remember lufthansa has 2 for 1 ticket)

3) maybe

4) don't think so

5) yes, you get a specific date after all the paperwork is submitted

6) the insurance is through BMW. ur insurance would not cover that. u only have 14 days of premium insurance however.
in the website of BMWUSA there is a list of drop off locations.

the destination charge you pay is to transport the car from the arrival port to ur local dealer

hope it helps
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 11:12 AM   #19
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

I believe your questions can be answered here:

http://www.edbmw.com/main/eded.html

Except that the ED deliveries will be taking place at the new BMW-Weld in Munich as of mid-October 2007 and of course the list of German Holidays (when ED is closed) need to be updated to 2008.
      09-29-2007, 11:14 AM   #20
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Here are a couple of links you may want to hit.

BMW's European Delivery Website:
http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/europeandelivery

MotorWorks' sponsered ED site (Irv Robinson, a longtime poster on this board, is an ED expert).
http://www.edbmw.com/main/
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 02:13 PM   #21
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Diablo:

3 months until car is ready , and then another 6-8 weeks or months until shipped to states????
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 04:58 PM   #22
murdoc158
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Diablo:

3 months until car is ready , and then another 6-8 weeks or months until shipped to states????

It's 6-8 weeks from the time you drop it off. Since you're on the east coast I would lean to the 6 week mark.