BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-12-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

Carbon Fiber!

There are already a couple of companies I know of who have plans in the works or are considering making CF products for the 1 series so no need to worry there. What are all of your thoughts on CF as well as plans? Decent amount out for the 335i and its only roughly a year old. All I can say is most of it looks AMAZING and SEXY!

My wants in CF
-Hood
-Roof
-Trunk
-Interior trim
-Engine cover
-BMW badges
-Front kidney grills
-Possibly replacing front bumper with a CF one
-If the window trim is that chrome/polished aluminum that in CF would be nice also (not a fan of chrome)
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

As of the late 1990s, carbon fiber was overdone.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 10:39 PM   #3
Italteen3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
In your opinion. In the opinion of Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, BMW, Pagani(check out a Zonda F in BARE CF you will cream your pants), and MANY other high-end car manufacturers. Carbon Fiber provides extremely useful as well as vital. Also automotive racing!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Ah, carbon fibre - you'll save more weight by scrapping out the interior - pulling the sunroof - all sound insulation - replace the seats with a single Kirkey - might as well order a Body-in-White. You going to race it? Or is the carbon fibre just something to make the car look 'kewl'?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 10:48 PM   #5
bimmer_fan
SF KREW
Rep
Drives:

i think thats too much carbon fiber.

hood, interior trim, and engine covers are fine. roof no way possible. trunk is too much. grille and emblems imo are fugly. the window trim u should just paint black just like the grille.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
QuInn1
QuInn1
Rep
Drives:

id like the roof to be cf...thats it...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 12:13 PM   #7
toosteeley
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italteen3 View Post
In your opinion. In the opinion of Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, BMW, Pagani(check out a Zonda F in BARE CF you will cream your pants), and MANY other high-end car manufacturers. Carbon Fiber provides extremely useful as well as vital. Also automotive racing!
CF is used in the examples you gave to SAVE WEIGHT not for bling.

Using CF for anything else is played out/ricey.

IMO
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 12:52 PM   #8
kamakazitp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica

replacing the sunroof with cf would be the biggest weight saver. even the hood and trunk wouldnt save THAT much, but it would look alright.

about the grill and window trim, leave it chrome or get it painted black "shadowline" style. its just trim, no point in wasting money to get that stuff in cf.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 01:35 PM   #9
335i=:)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan-blk/blk-Poplar

I think Cf looks great if it's tastefully done.

My list of no's for CF that IS NOT painted to match car.

1. Trunk
2. hood
3. trunk spoiler
4. any large body panel

list of yes's

1. eyelids
2. grill
3. replacing rear bumper lower plastic part on oner
4. mirrors
5. front splitters
6. entire roof (ala m3) or just sunroof
7. intake (ala gruppe m or bavdom replica)

I plan on doing all the above with black cf on my alpine white oner.

Clearly this is my opinion FYI. I don't think cf looks ricey unless the entire trunk, hood, large panels, rear spoiler is making it stick out like a sore thumb instead of being subtle and balanced.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 08:41 PM   #10
135i_
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Ah, carbon fibre - you'll save more weight by scrapping out the interior - pulling the sunroof - all sound insulation - replace the seats with a single Kirkey - might as well order a Body-in-White. You going to race it? Or is the carbon fibre just something to make the car look 'kewl'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosteeley View Post
CF is used in the examples you gave to SAVE WEIGHT not for bling.

Using CF for anything else is played out/ricey.

IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
+1 for hugo, toost and wolf

Dead on guys.

I mean if you like CF that's you're deal. I think it looks the same as these guys (and most people.)

Like I said if you like CF cool but don't pretend that it's really useful for performance purposes. Sure, it makes the car lighter, but there are about 20 things you could do before installing CF that would be way more cost efficient. (Things that those performance car companies you listed have already done)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 09:15 PM   #11
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

CF roof, CF lip would be the two i'd most want.

the roof effectively removing weight and lowering center of gravity, and lip for looks
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 09:55 PM   #12
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_ View Post
+1 for hugo, toost and wolf

Dead on guys.

I mean if you like CF that's you're deal. I think it looks the same as these guys (and most people.)

Like I said if you like CF cool but don't pretend that it's really useful for performance purposes. Sure, it makes the car lighter, but there are about 20 things you could do before installing CF that would be way more cost efficient. (Things that those performance car companies you listed have already done)
(and most people) ?! OH REALLY since when did you and three other guys become most people? Since when did useful become the only priority? Is this thread about cost effiency?

many of us are already planning on doing those 20 things you mentioned. Including a cf hood since the oner needs less front end weight.........maybe you can tell me if its cost efficient to most people or not?

BTW, those performance companies use CF as an interior trim, is that to save weight?

I guess you won't be buying aftermarket rims either because that would make your car look "kewl" or add to the "bling" factor that "most people" would be turned off by?

You guys must either be joking or just not thinking with these posts, open your mind a bit please.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 10:20 PM   #13
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ito135i View Post
(and most people)
I guess you won't be buying aftermarket rims either because that would make your car look "kewl" or add to the "bling" factor that "most people" would be turned off by?

You guys must either be joking or just not thinking with these posts, open your mind a bit please.
Not joking at all. And if you've read any of my posts you'll know that I generally put some thought behind them. And I thought about my response carefully - as I have this one.

Bling and Kewl don't cut it with me, sorry - if you rice your ride, don't ask me to say 'Oh wow I need to do that'. I've been around enough race cars to know what's real and what isn't.

Sorry - but we'll have to agree to disagree on this.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 11:25 PM   #14
Italteen3
Captain
Rep

Did not start this to have a shit flinging contest....but.......

Most of the CF mods I listed were for some weight reduction. I know about plenty of other weight saving mods to do but this threads purpose was for Carbon Fiber, both aesthetic and be it marginal weight loss as well. With a hood, roof, and trunk CF combo having spoken with two CF suppliers already have both given estimates of 20-25lbs of savings for a hood/trunk EACH. Roof about 5-15lbs. If I save 40lbs total I'm happy.

My car will be black so CF on black blends much better then most color combos. Car will keep stock look minus CF so if you think it is still rice have fun with your opinion because it doesn't bother me . My aesthetic CF mods are to remove the "bling" that doesn't cut it with you, kidney grills, window trim, and interior trim. Chrome/polished aluminum is not something I want on the car so why not some CF accents.

Ricing a ride that reminds me of so many of the other online forums out there with young teens calling everything rice borderline immature really. "I don't like it it's rice!" Come on man.......

When my car is where I want it to be I will post up pics and you can post what you think!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 12:32 AM   #15
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not joking at all. And if you've read any of my posts you'll know that I generally put some thought behind them. And I thought about my response carefully - as I have this one.

Bling and Kewl don't cut it with me, sorry - if you rice your ride, don't ask me to say 'Oh wow I need to do that'. I've been around enough race cars to know what's real and what isn't.

Sorry - but we'll have to agree to disagree on this.

Like the other guy, you "know" because of race cars? I know I sound like a dick but seriously guys, there's no such thing as "knowing" or "most people" based on an individual's limited experiece and small sampling. I could go on and on about top end sports cars and their use of cf for cosmetics, and you guys could do too.........

No one ever mentioned ripping out the interior...........
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 07:35 AM   #16
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

I will disagree that there is no such thing as knowing. But I will agree with the characterization of how you sound.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 08:05 AM   #17
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italteen3 View Post
Did not start this to have a shit flinging contest....but.......

Most of the CF mods I listed were for some weight reduction. I know about plenty of other weight saving mods to do but this threads purpose was for Carbon Fiber, both aesthetic and be it marginal weight loss as well. With a hood, roof, and trunk CF combo having spoken with two CF suppliers already have both given estimates of 20-25lbs of savings for a hood/trunk EACH. Roof about 5-15lbs. If I save 40lbs total I'm happy.

My car will be black so CF on black blends much better then most color combos. Car will keep stock look minus CF so if you think it is still rice have fun with your opinion because it doesn't bother me . My aesthetic CF mods are to remove the "bling" that doesn't cut it with you, kidney grills, window trim, and interior trim. Chrome/polished aluminum is not something I want on the car so why not some CF accents.

Ricing a ride that reminds me of so many of the other online forums out there with young teens calling everything rice borderline immature really. "I don't like it it's rice!" Come on man.......

When my car is where I want it to be I will post up pics and you can post what you think!
So are you racing it? If so, check the latest GCR to see what's acceptable for replacement panels. If you're not racing it you'd be better off saving the weight on the unpsrung side - wheels and tires.

There are a couple of question that need to be asked regarding the total car's safety package also. What crash compliance has been built into the hood, deck lid and fenders of the BMW? Are you privy to the engineering documentation for that?

Just some things to think about - personally I think the whole carbon fibre fad is a waste of time (as is my participation on this thread - I'm outta this one ; -).
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 08:37 AM   #18
Madjack
Private
Rep
Drives:

I have heard of some CF hoods sheering off at the bolts during a front end collision. They typically do not have the crumple zones built in. Now, if you get a high end model, then maybe it will have it.

I personally am going to wait to see the car and read some reviews before I start modding anything. I went through this with the STi in '04. The car is brand new and there will be a ton of development being done....but, it will take a little while.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 11:13 AM   #19
ice13water
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

the only thing that i would not paint my body color is the roof and interior trim

everything else can be carbon fiber but it better be painted my body color
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 12:01 PM   #20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I will disagree that there is no such thing as knowing. But I will agree with the characterization of how you sound.

If your gonna come on hear and say CF is a stupid fad, at least back it up with something......other then your "experience". And what does it make you when you come on a thread that's obviously started by someone who like's CF and immediately shoot it down because it's not your taste?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 12:10 PM   #21
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ito135i View Post
If your gonna come on hear and say CF is a stupid fad, at least back it up with something......other then your "experience". And what does it make you when you come on a thread that's obviously started by someone who like's CF and immediately shoot it down because it's not your taste?
Sorry you don't like my posting in this thread - and this is my last. If you don't like what I have to say - add me to your ignore list.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #22
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I think I'd like a carbon fiber hood on my alpine white 135i but the only problem ifs finding a real carbon fiber hood. most of the so called high quality carbon fiber hoods are just fiber glass with a carbon fiber outer layer. they tend to be heavier(than solid carbon fiber) and not as strong.
Appreciate 0