E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Trifecta of error lights, but only after driving about 300 feet, speed sensor related

08-30-2023, 03:35 PM   #1
infinitenexus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Trifecta of error lights, but only after driving about 300 feet, speed sensor related

So, I have the trifecta of error lights, 4x4, brake, traction control. I got the error codes (don't remember them off the top of my head, I can grab them tomorrow) and the codes pointed to a wheel speed sensor error. I've replaced 3 of them so far and the lights persist. After reading a few threads, I think it's something else.

What's most notable about my error lights is that they don't turn on until I've driven 100-200 yards or so, and about once every other week I'll go error free for several miles, then the 4x4 and traction control lights will turn on and off a few times, then finally all three lights will turn on.

I live in Cleveland, the rust capital of the universe, and I've read there's a ring beneath the speed sensor that can get corroded. Think maybe it's something like that?
      08-31-2023, 03:12 PM   #2
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Check the axles. When they rust, they can trigger the trifecta.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2023, 10:01 PM   #3
mrjimyjohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 328i xdrive

Sounds exactly like my issue. Ended up taking it to an indy who replaced the inner part of the sensor. I think they called it ABS ring. I had previously read this requires a new front axle assembly which is NOT the case, but a few hours labour to replace the ring.

2010 328 xdrive
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2023, 03:39 PM   #4
infinitenexus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Thanks! Yeah looks like I wouldn't be able to replace this myself in a parking lot so I would have no choice but to pay someone to fix it. Ugh.
      09-02-2023, 03:11 PM   #5
lobotomy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Sounds like you are wiping out the new sensor(s) shortly after installing them. If you have the ring type reluctors, you can sandpaper down the high spots to gain clearance needed. The high spot will be shiny from contacting the sensor. I destroyed a new sensor within a few miles after installing it, not aware of the reluctor issue at the time. I cannot justify replacing a good axle due to a rusted ring, so I sanded down the high spots on the front axles. In my case (2011 E90x) replacement front reluctor rings are not available. I bought a few of various diameters hoping for a fit, all 3 no good! Seems like they make rings for every application except the front E90 x drive!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 11:56 PM   #6
bmwe30mstyle
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1988 e30 325ix, 2010 e90 335i

I have a similar issue with trifecta but have a binding sound/feel in the drivetrain when turning at slow speed forward and backward, higher speeds its fine. Feels and sounds like like rear cv joints are binding. But they were fine before this happened.

I had the same issue several months ago and replaced right rear Wheel Bearing and that solved problem. No binding after this fix for several months of driving. Now im getting binding again and trifecta like same thing. Could the front wheel bearing be going? Could it be something with the transfercase like motor or case itself binding? Both front and rear driveshafts are less that 2 years old.

Anyone else experience binding with trifecta?

Any help appreciated!

2010 335xi n54
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 08:11 PM   #7
thatsclassified
Rep
Drives: 2006 e91

I have the trifecta likely due to rust under the tone ring- when I plugged a new sensor in, I shimmed it out so as not to wreck it- the lights go away, however, I get the chunky turning, sort of a binding sensation for the first few meters of driving until the lights come back on again and the binding goes away.

Could be that yours is intermittently working with incorrect sensor data or something?

I'm concerned with damage from the binding feeling so I've unplugged the sensor and the lights are permanently on until I get a new axle. No abs/AWD/low tire pressure indicator till then I guess. I would be really interested in mrjimyjohn 's method but the axle is old anyway (2006) and I don't feel like paying the shop to do it twice if the ring doesn't take properly or whatnot.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 08:44 PM   #8
mrjimyjohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsclassified View Post
I have the trifecta likely due to rust under the tone ring- when I plugged a new sensor in, I shimmed it out so as not to wreck it- the lights go away, however, I get the chunky turning, sort of a binding sensation for the first few meters of driving until the lights come back on again and the binding goes away.

Could be that yours is intermittently working with incorrect sensor data or something?

I'm concerned with damage from the binding feeling so I've unplugged the sensor and the lights are permanently on until I get a new axle. No abs/AWD/low tire pressure indicator till then I guess. I would be really interested in mrjimyjohn 's method but the axle is old anyway (2006) and I don't feel like paying the shop to do it twice if the ring doesn't take properly or whatnot.
Not sure where youre located but my axles have spent 13 canadian winters outside. I dont think age should be a concern
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 08:49 PM   #9
thatsclassified
Rep
Drives: 2006 e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimyjohn View Post
Not sure where youre located but my axles have spent 13 canadian winters outside. I dont think age should be a concern
Same, actually. She spent her first 12 seasons in the rainy and mild west, then the last 5 in the salty southeast.

I'm a little concerned about wear as well as rust building up some more- 2006 with 270k.
Appreciate 0