BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-21-2007, 03:25 AM   #1
tubbypwnz
I hope i get a 135i
Rep
Drives:

Will it be too much $$ for a birthday present?

Hi, im turning 16 next year on october, i was wondering if this 128i, or the 135i, will be too much money for a 16 year old birthday present. Like, would i be asking for too much from my dad? And when would he have to order it to make sure he has it on October 6th?
      08-21-2007, 03:35 AM   #2
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i,'04 RX 330,'99Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbypwnz View Post
Hi, im turning 16 next year on october, i was wondering if this 128i, or the 135i, will be too much money for a 16 year old birthday present. Like, would i be asking for too much from my dad? And when would he have to order it to make sure he has it on October 6th?

Get a used BMW or a Honda civic first and get use to driving it til you master it...trust me you dont want your new Bimmer to get damage by your jealous classmate in High school...... After a while when you turn 18, reward yourself with the Bimmer for your grad present and hopefully you get into good college.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 06:32 AM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
And when would he have to order it to make sure he has it on October 6th?
Unfortunately impossible, if you meant this year. In the US, the 1 series will not be available until early spring 2008. If you are talking about next year, it takes about 10 weeks to get a car built and delivered to the west coast, assuming your dealership has a 1 series allocation available for you.

I won't comment on the other question, as I had to earn all my cars, so I'm a little opinionated. Plus, you're only 14, and don't really understand your family's finance situation in it's true sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Get a well cared for used Miata. There is no better learners car out there. To be frank, a good driver would be faster in a late-model Miata than an average driver in a 135i. Get the Miata, participate in some SCCA events, then buy yourself a 1-Series when you graduate college. :headbang:

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 08:58 AM   #5
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
Get a well cared for used Miata. There is no better learners car out there. To be frank, a good driver would be faster in a late-model Miata than an average driver in a 135i. Get the Miata, participate in some SCCA events, then buy yourself a 1-Series when you graduate college. :headbang:

Excellent advice from all the people who've posted- I'd only add that even if the financial cost isn't a strain for your family immediate wish fulfillment for a 14 year-old on this kind of level is going to skew your outlook on life-goals and the hard work it takes to get them to come to reality. Hate to preach but attaining things should come with an understanding of their value.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 09:40 AM   #6
ice13water
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

asking your parents to buy you any car on any occasion is too much. im sixteen as well i have 14000 saved up for my bimmer and my parents will only be helping me with down payment. but i just quit my job so the 135i is slowly floating away from reatlity
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

YES.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Wow I wish my parents would buy me my car.. That would be enough birthday presents to last for the rest of my life

IMO no your parents shouldn't get you this car just because you don't have enough driving experience to justify owning a 135i. I'm not trying to flame or be mean, it's just reality. The 128i is a more practical option.

Save up for your own car and be proud that you worked to EARN that car, it wasn't just given to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
I'd only add that even if the financial cost isn't a strain for your family immediate wish fulfillment for a 14 year-old on this kind of level is going to skew your outlook on life-goals and the hard work it takes to get them to come to reality. Hate to preach but attaining things should come with an understanding of their value.
Couldn't have said it any better myself

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #9
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
Wow I wish my parents would buy me my car.. That would be enough birthday presents to last for the rest of my life

IMO no your parents shouldn't get you this car just because you don't have enough driving experience to justify owning a 135i. I'm not trying to flame or be mean, it's just reality. The 128i is a more practical option.

Save up for your own car and be proud that you worked to EARN that car, it wasn't just given to you.

Couldn't have said it any better myself

That was said real well! I must agree, feels much better to purchase your car on your own earned money. The 135i might be too much power for a new driver. I'd prob kill myself if it was my first car.

Pick up a used e36, can be had for under 10g. Learn how to handle the car. Wait to get the 135i later.

I still think this question is funny though, my parents would have beat me just for asking for a car back when I turned 16.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black328i View Post

I still think this question is funny though, my parents would have beat me just for asking for a car back when I turned 16.
My parents would just laugh.

Not only that, but I'd feel self-conscious about it if I did have one at that age... because I'd know that people would see me and say "look at this spoiled brat in the new BMW," and deep down, I'd know that my parents bought it - not me. It might sound strange, but I'd actually feel bad about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #11
Sperm
Rep
Drives: 2002 Impreza WRX

Dear tubbypwnz's parents:

Please don't buy your 16 year old son a 135 and raise my insurance rates.

kthx!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 01:30 PM   #12
Vornado
A swell fellow
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hot air balloon

If you are seriously considering a car like that, please consider taking at least a 2-day performance driving class. When you lose respect for your car, you or someone else dies.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 01:40 PM   #13
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

lol...sorry dude but if your parents buy you a 135, or even the 128 for your 16th birthday, obviously they're idiots with too much $$...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 02:32 PM   #14
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

I'd say all of us who've been around these expensive cars have at one time or another seen rich mothers and fathers buy cars for their kids - out of love and pride no doubt - but still a bad parental decision.

I've seen what was left of an M3 because no one told little daughter that a manual transmission doesn't shift by itself. The car was driven onto the interstate and blew up in a tremendous cloud of smoke . For days the tranny sat in a tech-bay just glowing with heat.

Another time at an Audi dealership I saw a proud dad buy his kid an S4...
who proceeded to floor the accelerator and drive the car over a 4' embankment nearly totalling a $50k+ automobile.

Both true stories. Kinda funny when I think back on it.
OK..it's awful...but still funny.

:biggrin::biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 03:02 PM   #15
BEE-EM-VAY
Rep
Drives:

is it too much money to ask ur dad for a 135i? hmm..which city do u live in?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 03:35 PM   #16
Dogan
Registered
Rep
Drives:

"For sure, Dog! That's how we light it up in the OC!"

Seriously though, the medium houshold income in the US (one of the richest countries in the world btw) might hit $50k next year. After taxes both ways you are looking at a car that costs more than half the country earns in a year. Its not so much that it wouldn't be a good gift, because it would, but just factor in that from that point forth you will have little or no concept of the real value of money. Although you might eventually figure it out, who knows.

-Carlton

ps. never seen 'The OC' but I can't help but laugh every time at that simpsons clip.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #17
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post

I've seen what was left of an M3 because no one told little daughter that a manual transmission doesn't shift by itself. The car was driven onto the interstate and blew up in a tremendous cloud of smoke . For days the tranny sat in a tech-bay just glowing with heat.
you have GOT to be joking (but i know you aren't).

where's a sigh + headshake smilie when u need one?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #18
Bobbie Love
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
give an irresponsible 16 year old a fast car and you will soon see this

if you want to become a statistic then by all means.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 04:29 PM   #19
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

tubbypwnz - welcome to the 1addicts board!!

As a father (and grandfather) I'd have to say 'no' if asked to purchase a car for my kids - we generally had a useful vehicle (a small pickup) for my daughters to drive when they got to be a bit beyond 16 - but it wasn't theirs and we kept pretty tight rules on when it was driven.

Putting myself in your shoes, and thinking your parents may be like me ; -), I'd ask mom & dad for a driving school vacation, not a boring defensive driving school, but something like the Bondurant Racing School in Phoenix ( linkee ). I have a buddy, a little older than you, that did the shifter kart school at Bondurant and he had a blast.

I don't think the 135i would be a very good car to get as a first purchase, the weight/HP ratio is a little beyond 'novice' driver - it runs awful close to 10 lbs per HP. But I'd highly recommend starting in a RWD car. Since winter weather isn't an issue in the OC you can get a chance to get your feet wet with RWD. I'd suggest a used 325 or a '97 Miata (if you can't have fun driving a Miata - you can't have fun driving ; -). What you don't want is a car that has numb steering, numb brakes and flacid handling. That's not fair to an enthusiast and it sounds like you are one. Oh and get a stick shift - if you can drive a stick you can drive anything then!!

So anywho - welcome again - hope this helps!!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #20
CeeTeeX5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i M-Sport

I think the worst experience i've had is almost being t-boned while driving through a intersection. New driver didn't realize he needs to stop at the stop sign because he's too busy talking to his buddy. I'm half way through the intersection and I see this kid headed straight for me in a brand spankin new CLK. Luckily I mash the pedal and get out of the way in time. I really wanted to turn around and follow the kid and give him a real good "talkin" to. I bet his mommy and daddy would been really happy to hear their son ran into someone with the brand new car they bought him.

Anyways, my first car was a 1989 Mazda B2200 pickup truck, 2 tone blue. As much as I disliked it at the time. I kinda miss the thing now...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #21
yRyan
Rep
Drives:

I would say, like most everyone on this board, this is a bad idea. However, I have a bit of a different perspective. I grew up in a very wealthy area. A friend received a Porsche 911 on this 16th birthday and that's significantly more cash then a 1-series. Audis, BMWs and other expensive cars (mainly brand new) are completely common in the student parking lot at my high school. A female friend of mine wanted something unique so her dad bought her a '67 Benz in fantastic condition when she turned 16.

Some of these people are complete financial idiots now (8 years out of high school). One earns almost 100k / yr and lives paycheck to paycheck. However, the majority of these people are very good with money, including the 911 owner.

So I don't believe your parents shouldn't buy it for you just to teach you the value of money and working hard. I don't really see that as a valid arguement. If it is, the same thing could be said about paying for college. "Parents shouldn't pay for college because the kids won't learn the value of money." It should be an issue your parents decide between themselves. Mom and dad get together and answer the following questions:

1. Will we buy him a car? (if yes go on)
2. How much are we willing to spend?

Then they can come to you and say, "son we decided to buy you a car up to X dollars in value." Go from there.

However, I completely agree with performance issues. I ride motorcycles and there is a question often seen on the different forums, "is a [insert favorite modern supersport] a good starter bike?" The simple answer is no. Even the 600cc bikes are putting out a ton of power for their weight. That power can put you in trouble faster then a slower vehicle. That power can also cause problems. Same thing is true here. Even in a 128 it'd be easy to spin out if you're inexperienced and mash the gas mid-turn. And don't give me that crap about traction control, because I'm guessing 90+% of the users on this board turn that off as soon as they get into a car. Even the 128 will be pretty quick (~6 seconds 0-60 if I remember correctly). While this is reasonably slow when compared to a Ferrari, it's still really quick.

You can still get into trouble in a car with only 50 HP. However, you're more likely to get into trouble in a car with 300. At the end of the day it comes down to how much respect a driver has for the vehicle and how much common sense they have. I know a guy who bought a brand new Yamaha R1 (liter bike) for a starter bike two years ago. He had never even drove a bike down a street before he bought it. He is a very conservative person and has done well on the bike. He's now one of the better riders I know. However, for every story like him, there's at least 10 stories where the guy died.

Forum users can't answer your question. The question is entirely up to you and your parents to decide. And the decision is basically up to them.

Just remember to enjoy whatever you get whenever you get it.

-Ryan
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #22
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Ryan - right on the money - I've been thinking of a starter bike (never having owned one in my life) and even though She Who Must Be Obeyed will never relent and allow me to purchase one - I'm thinking a 250 Ninja or Buell single-lunger may be a good start.

And heck if the economy goes to hell in a handbasket I may just ditch the Miata and get a Chinese 50cc scooter (with lead paint - gotta remember not to chew on it ; -).
Appreciate 0