BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-01-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
poor
Rep
Drives:

Known Options (135i)

Based off the U.S. press release can we safely assume some of the options that will be available here?

Here is what I have so far:
Nav
Ipod connection
sport package
premium package
sirius
HD radio
bluetooth
leather
active steering

I would assume that leather and bluetooth would be a part of the premium package. The only other options that I did not see that I would want is a cold weather package (heated seats) and comfort access. I did a little mock pricing based off speculative prices and option prices from other models, except active steering, and came up with a fully loaded price of around $43,000 add another $2,000 for the convertible.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by poor View Post
Based off the U.S. press release can we safely assume some of the options that will be available here?

Here is what I have so far:
Nav
Ipod connection
sport package
premium package
sirius
HD radio
bluetooth
leather
active steering

I would assume that leather and bluetooth would be a part of the premium package. The only other options that I did not see that I would want is a cold weather package (heated seats) and comfort access. I did a little mock pricing based off speculative prices and option prices from other models, except active steering, and came up with a fully loaded price of around $43,000 add another $2,000 for the convertible.
It's highly likely that the base 135i will be the M Sport (at least that's the case in Europe), so you can probably scratch the sport package. A $2K premium is probably low for the cabrio. I would guess closer to $5K.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 06:45 PM   #3
poor
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeam81 View Post
It's highly likely that the base 135i will be the M Sport (at least that's the case in Europe), so you can probably scratch the sport package. A $2K premium is probably low for the cabrio. I would guess closer to $5K.
I based the cabrio pricing on the Z4, which has a $2000 premium over the coupe, but I guess there is a little more top to the 1, plus I think power is optional on the z4. So you are probably right about $5k.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Options, of the Audio Variety

One of the things I'm in the dark about is audio options (something that we have no, zero, zip, threads on). One of the reasons I'm considering the 135i is what AutoWeek said about the audio being an HK Logic7 unit. That's a very good audio unit and one of the few that passes the 'Durufle test', a recording I use to check audio - it has a bottom-of-barrel, last-peddle-on-the-left, 32 hz note that's sustained for a few seconds. Most of the 'import ear buster' systems can't reproduce it (they kinda fall off the face of the earth around 60 hz). Granted it was a 750il that I was testing in - but it handled it with aplomb.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I have Logic 7 in my 330i. It's OK, but not stellar compared to aftermarket offerings. the onl problem with aftermarket systems with these cars are that everything is tied together elctronically, making aftermarket system difficult at best.I also have sirius, which is great, but I'll definitely pass in lieu of ipod integration. Stern was the draw ther, but I rarely tune in to him lately.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
One of the things I'm in the dark about is audio options (something that we have no, zero, zip, threads on). One of the reasons I'm considering the 135i is what AutoWeek said about the audio being an HK Logic7 unit. That's a very good audio unit and one of the few that passes the 'Durufle test', a recording I use to check audio - it has a bottom-of-barrel, last-peddle-on-the-left, 32 hz note that's sustained for a few seconds. Most of the 'import ear buster' systems can't reproduce it (they kinda fall off the face of the earth around 60 hz). Granted it was a 750il that I was testing in - but it handled it with aplomb.
Harman Kardon makes some very good audio equipment. They transferred most of their manufacturing to China and intially experienced some quality issues, but they seem to have worked out most of the problems. Even if it's not quite up to the audiophile level, it's much better than most of the stuff going into cars. Your audio test sounds pretty challenging. I would like to hear more. :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 07:00 PM   #7
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I have Logic 7 in my 330i. It's OK, but not stellar compared to aftermarket offerings. the onl problem with aftermarket systems with these cars are that everything is tied together elctronically, making aftermarket system difficult at best.I also have sirius, which is great, but I'll definitely pass in lieu of ipod integration. Stern was the draw ther, but I rarely tune in to him lately.
HK signed a big deal with BMW to integrate the audio system, so you're right that replacing the head unit is problematic at best. Although I like their audio components, I'm not a big fan of their speakers.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 07:15 PM   #8
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Durufle was a 20th century French composer - most of his stuff (all 13 published pieces) was 'sacred' - written with a religious purpose. He was, at one time, the organist at Notre Dame, IIRC.

The disc I use is a Delos recording - CD3047. The segement is T1|06:45-07:20.

The best bet, if you don't want to spend ~ $16 bucks on obscure French organ music, would be to get an audio test disc.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 08:28 PM   #9
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

The i-Pod integration is somewhat confusing...all the 1-ers...actually every model in the BMW line, has or will have aux input standard. But the sound, to my ears listening in my friend's 3-er is tinny. I noticed that one package on the 1-er German brochure mentions an optional USB-port....that I assume will offer full support for scroll functions.
Any comments?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 09:05 PM   #10
128er
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Paddle Shifters too!!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #11
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
The i-Pod integration is somewhat confusing...all the 1-ers...actually every model in the BMW line, has or will have aux input standard. But the sound, to my ears listening in my friend's 3-er is tinny. I noticed that one package on the 1-er German brochure mentions an optional USB-port....that I assume will offer full support for scroll functions.
Any comments?
If you get iDrive/Nav, I've heard that the integration is pretty good. Unfortunately tickets to this party are fairly steep. I'm not sure about the integration without the iDrive/Nav option.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 02:00 AM   #12
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
how about comfort access and heated seats!??!?!?!?!??!?!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 02:37 AM   #13
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeam81 View Post
If you get iDrive/Nav, I've heard that the integration is pretty good. Unfortunately tickets to this party are fairly steep. I'm not sure about the integration without the iDrive/Nav option.
Just a (n educated) guess, but I'll bet iPod integration without iDrive is limited to the AUX input. You're stuck switching songs/playlists/etc with the actual iPod which, IMHO, means that you risk it getting ripped off when you park, or you need to take it with you. BIG PITA.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 03:39 AM   #14
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
Just a (n educated) guess, but I'll bet iPod integration without iDrive is limited to the AUX input. You're stuck switching songs/playlists/etc with the actual iPod which, IMHO, means that you risk it getting ripped off when you park, or you need to take it with you. BIG PITA.
Actually this is level of control is possible without iDrive.

For those interested in the USB connection, it is a pain with the Ipod since it is recognized as any other storage device and if you've seen the filing system used by the Ipod you'll quickly realize you do not want to go this route. In order to get usable Ipod integration there are 2 factory options (both allow control of the Ipod) and several aftermarket ones that I am aware of. I'd suggest doing some research on some of the other bmw forums. There is plenty of information out there. Search the A/V sections for 'MOST' or '6FL' or 'Y Adapter'. This forum is still developing so it will take some time here.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 03:53 AM   #15
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkx5m View Post
how about comfort access and heated seats!??!?!?!?!??!?!
Available here in Germany so should be available there. I'm coming from a 3er and I have the German full ordering list, I've actually already configured and ordered my car, just suffering through the long wait now. Pretty much everything that was available for the 3, is available for the 1. I can't think of anything that I could have had on the 3 that's not available for the 1.

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 03:58 AM   #16
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
I think we share a similar passion for audio. What I am even more curious about are options that are on the horizon. There is an upgraded stereo, above Logic 7, recently made available for the 5 that will supposedly be available for the 3er in MY 08. It's a 16 speaker digital 9 channel amp system that will be available on the face lifted 5's. With almost double the power it should play even cleaner than the logic 7. Hopefully with even better soundstage and depth. I asked my SA about it, but he says right now there are no plans for it being offered in the 1er. I would definitely want this.

More info here:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=99335

The claim that it will be available on the 3er was made here by a very reputable source, but I have not confirmed this personally with anyone at bmw:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64876
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 09:06 AM   #17
tommy
Benz Interloper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Benz C230, 1990 CRX ZcSi

I really wish that there were a radio delete option, the way that there used to be back in the day. I'd be much more comforable buying a new car with a DIN-sized opening, and create my own environment. I guess those days are gone, huh?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 09:29 AM   #18
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post
I really wish that there were a radio delete option, the way that there used to be back in the day. I'd be much more comforable buying a new car with a DIN-sized opening, and create my own environment. I guess those days are gone, huh?
Yeah... probably. The integrated electronics have made DYI much more challenging.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 09:33 AM   #19
tommy
Benz Interloper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Benz C230, 1990 CRX ZcSi

DIY, too! :wink:
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 09:58 AM   #20
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post
DIY, too! :wink:
Doh!!! I knew something didn't look right. Too much multitasking. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 10:02 AM   #21
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus View Post
Actually this is level of control is possible without iDrive.

For those interested in the USB connection, it is a pain with the Ipod since it is recognized as any other storage device and if you've seen the filing system used by the Ipod you'll quickly realize you do not want to go this route. In order to get usable Ipod integration there are 2 factory options (both allow control of the Ipod) and several aftermarket ones that I am aware of. I'd suggest doing some research on some of the other bmw forums. There is plenty of information out there. Search the A/V sections for 'MOST' or '6FL' or 'Y Adapter'. This forum is still developing so it will take some time here.
I thought that I read somewhere that you couldn't play copy protected material via the USB port with an iPod. The workaround was to convert the AAC files to MP3s.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 10:08 AM   #22
Trooper2
Rep
Drives:

I did a little mock pricing based off speculative prices and option prices from other models, except active steering, and came up with a fully loaded price of around $43,000 add another $2,000 for the convertible.[/quote]

If it does come in at this price they will NEVER sell it or sell it in small quantities. There are alot of other/better options for that kind of $$$$.
Appreciate 0