BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-06-2023, 10:41 PM   #1
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 50e; Subaru Outback

50e - Travelling - Best way to charging

The plan is to go on lengthy trips and stay at Hotels and Airbnb's (multiple days at the same location). I read through the forum through most of the threads regarding charging the 50e.

I was originally planning to use the regular cable with the Gen 2 adapter for 14-50 (61-44-8-490-525).

However it was stated that it shouldn't be used with another adapter from e.g. a 30 amp outlet to the 14-50 amp plug. The advice is to install a proper 50 amp outlet. While I will do this at home, it is not feasible for travel tours.

I probably will find all kind of setups along travel trips. I still want to charge and get the benefits.

Currently I am considering the following:
Then use a Tesla to J1772, which I need anyway due to the available Tesla charging networks (especially with hotels).

Something like this:If I am not mistaken the 40amp should be sufficient, since the car doesn't pull more than 32amp (80% of 40).

They are all UL certified and look high quality.

I know that I will still have to set the car to the max. charging amp based on what outlet I will find.

Anyone with Tesla Mobile Connector experience?

Any comments, better options?

Someone with experience on long travel trips (in the past with the 45e)?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 11:10 PM   #2
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

For me I would totally forget about charging on a trip - I would just drive it ICE as finding charging at every stop is a hassle and you only get ~45 miles of range. In California while public charging is expensive, saving would not be significant if there is saving at all, for all the trouble.

Of course there are exception, such as airbnb you mentioned, presumably has a garage and can be used for charging. For me, i’d just pack a “turbo cord” - there are bmw branded ones that was sold with i3. It is 20% faster than OE charger at 110v (12A vs 10A, which takes ~16 to charge the battery from empty to full) and 16A at 220v, which takes roughly 6-7 hours overnight. I would not expect to have a full battery everyday - it would be nice if I can have some saving; otherwise I’ll just use ICE
Appreciate 2
X3_Alaska154.00
P111581.00
      08-06-2023, 11:30 PM   #3
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post
For me I would totally forget about charging on a trip - I would just drive it ICE as finding charging at every stop is a hassle and you only get ~45 miles of range.
For the reason you mentioned we originally considered the x40i.

I will transition from a working life to life after work and tour the country for weeks/months on a trip. Stay at an Airbnb for a week at a time. We are mainly exploring nature.
For the drive from A to B, I am ok with ICE. During the week of the stay, I would prefer a fully charged car.

The benefit is that I can control with "battery hold" to use it while I am off the grid and actually approaching wildlife very quietly ...

At times we have to take a rest e.g. in AZ with >100F. Sitting in the car without having the ICE on and still having A/C are real benefits.

In addition the environmental effect. That's why we switched to the 50e.
I didn't switch to save money. I would even recharge in CA knowing if will cost more ...

I might be overly optimistic, but I at least want to give it a try. I have seen a growing amount of airbnb, National- and State Parks, Hotels, Camp Grounds and Rest Areas to provide dedicated charging options.

So, please don't talk me out of it. Rather help to find a way to make it work to recharge to the 40 miles within 6 to 8 hours ...
Appreciate 1
gsquare71.50
      08-06-2023, 11:37 PM   #4
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonFan View Post
For the reason you mentioned we originally considered the x40i.

I will transition from a working life to life after work and tour the country for weeks/months on a trip. Stay at an Airbnb for a week at a time. We are mainly exploring nature.
For the drive from A to B, I am ok with ICE. During the week of the stay, I would prefer a fully charged car.

The benefit is that I can control with "battery hold" to use it while I am off the grid and actually approaching wildlife very quietly ...

At times we have to take a rest e.g. in AZ with >100F. Sitting in the car without having the ICE on and still having A/C are real benefits.

In addition the environmental effect. That's why we switched to the 50e.
I didn't switch to save money. I would even recharge in CA knowing if will cost more ...

I might be overly optimistic, but I at least want to give it a try. I have seen a growing amount of airbnb, National- and State Parks, Hotels, Camp Grounds and Rest Areas to provide dedicated charging options.

So, please don't talk me out of it. Rather help to find a way to make it work to recharge to the 40 miles within 6 to 8 hours ...
As I mentioned in my reply, a turbocord (https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/5...BOCORD-CHARGER) is one of the most compact and economic solution for your use case, if you'd be OK with 6-8h charging (rather than ~3.5 hours as max possible rate for 50e, with appropriate 32A 220v charging). It is widely available on secondary market (such as marketplace), I bought mine on marketplace at $100. It can take either 110v (available everywhere) at max allowed rate; or 220v(some airbnb does have it, but quite rare) at 16A. I would argue this is a good balance between charging speed and electrical safety, consider you are plugging into unfamiliar electrical outlets from time to time.

For national parks and hotel, most likely charging is provided as a L2 charger (chargepoint or something similar) - you would most likely not need any cable for these. It is quite rare for them to just provide a electrical outlet (with exception of very few RV camping site, but many RV camping site specifically do not allow you to use their electrical hookup for EV charging).

re: Tesla network, their supercharger network is definitely another level (unfortunately 50e cannot accept DC charging); however for tesla destination charger I do not find a very good coverage of these; in my experience there is usually regular L2 charger wherever there is a tesla destination charger; however in your area it might be different. I would not suggest optimize the solution based on Tesla network.

Last edited by aaaaaaaaaz; 08-06-2023 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
WagonFan271.50
gsquare71.50
      08-07-2023, 12:48 AM   #5
Celos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive45e

I bought a 12 gauge heavy duty extension cord and use it with the provided L1 charger when on trips. As long as the provided outlet is grounded (or, ideally, GFCI) it seems safe.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 01:19 AM   #6
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

OP I think you’re wildly overestimating the number of places that will have a 240v NEMA outlet available for use, as compared to the number of available destination EVSE or commercial chargers available. I had a Tesla for years and never once encountered a hotel or Airbnb where I could have used a 240 outlet. In comparison tons of those places have free or cheap EVSEs that, at worst, you’d need a Tesla connection adapter to use.
Appreciate 1
WagonFan271.50
      08-07-2023, 05:58 AM   #7
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
The plan is to go on lengthy trips and stay at Hotels and Airbnb's (multiple days at the same location). I read through the forum through most of the threads regarding charging the 50e.

I was originally planning to use the regular cable with the Gen 2 adapter for 14-50 (61-44-8-490-525).

However it was stated that it shouldn't be used with another adapter from e.g. a 30 amp outlet to the 14-50 amp plug. The advice is to install a proper 50 amp outlet. While I will do this at home, it is not feasible for travel tours.

I probably will find all kind of setups along travel trips. I still want to charge and get the benefits.

[...]

Anyone with Tesla Mobile Connector experience?

Any comments, better options?

Someone with experience on long travel trips (in the past with the 45e)?
you will likely find very few, if any, hotels with open NEMA 14-50 outlets to plug in your own charging cable for level 2 charging. rather, there will be free-standing EVSE already hardwired into the grid, and the only time you'll use an adapter is if using a Tesla Destination Charger as all other compatible charging stations will have a J1772 connector already

as for Airbnb properties with NEMA outlets, do you know their configurations (type of plug, amperage, etc.)? there are too many installation variations to be able to recommend a #-## to 14-50 adapter for your travels. TBH, i wouldn't recommend using an adapter on the power outlet end because of the uncertainty. you're better off using the common household outlet for level 1 charging. while you won't get the full charge, that outlet/circuit is more standard (and safer)

Last edited by nZtiZia; 08-07-2023 at 06:26 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-07-2023, 06:39 AM   #8
gadgetfreak2024
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e, 2011 X5 50i M-Sp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
you will likely find very few, if any, public places with open NEMA 14-50 outlets to plug in your own charging cable for level 2 charging. rather, there will be free-standing EVSE already hardwired into the grid, and the only time you'll use an adapter is when using a Tesla Destination Charger as all other compatible charging stations will have a J1772 connector already
This is entirely my experience too with our 50e. Went on a road trip to the Finger Lakes region of New York State. The hotel had a group of L2 chargers — so those was directly usable unadapted. At a couple other other stops we encountered Tesla destination changers — to be clear, NOT superchargers — and I had a small adapter I had acquired that converted the shape from NACS to J1772. There are a bunch on Amazon and they are very compact so no hassle to carry. Ours is in our center console when not in use. Be aware that superchargers cannot be used at all by my understanding so you might want to study up on the difference between the two Tesla charger types to not go to the wrong place.

The built in navigation helps you find suitable charging locations.

I personally see no reason not to use all electric once you are at your destination if you have access to an L2 and you are just driving around in the area. Of course if you are out for 40+ miles at a time you will have to eventually be hybrid in which case you may choose to drive the entire way in that mode.

I guess if you know you will not have any L2 access you could acquire something like the EVSE from BMW that you showed (assuming you are leaving the one that came with your car at home?) but I would try to spend less and find one that only does 110/120 since to others’ comments it’s highly unlikely you will find an available 240V plug somewhere (unless you are at a campground I guess — but then that’s probably a different adapter?).
Appreciate 1
WagonFan271.50
      08-07-2023, 07:40 AM   #9
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Basic question from a hybrid newbie: After the battery power runs out and the ICE kicks in, does it recharge the battery to any significant extent? If so, how long does it take for the ICE engine to fully charge the battery? If not, this would mean that one needs to recharge the battery virtually every night to obtain the 30-mile +/- capacity, correct?
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 07:55 AM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
Basic question from a hybrid newbie: After the battery power runs out and the ICE kicks in, does it recharge the battery to any significant extent? If so, how long does it take for the ICE engine to fully charge the battery? If not, this would mean that one needs to recharge the battery virtually every night to obtain the 30-mile +/- capacity, correct?
sounds like you're referring to the 45e given your stated "30-mile +/- capacity", though the same applies to the 50e vice 40-mile +/- capacity...

the battery never "runs out"; only usable capacity is depleted.

the vehicle will charge and maintain a minimum amount depending on which drive mode you're in. if Adaptive (45e only) or Hybrid drive modes, then 3-6%. if Sport drive mode, then 16-20%. it's not designed to fully charge the battery in any of these drive modes. if you want the vehicle to fully charge the battery, then you'll need to active Battery Control mode (45e only) and set the target level to 100%.

if your use case warrants it, charging every night may be required for best electric utilization. that's the case for me who works M-F and commutes round trip with just electric power.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2023, 08:11 AM   #11
redhot47fla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60, '24 X6 40i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
sounds like you're referring to the 45e given your stated "30-mile +/- capacity", though the same applies to the 50e vice 40-mile +/- capacity...

the battery never "runs out"; only usable capacity is depleted.

the vehicle will charge and maintain a minimum amount depending on which drive mode you're in. if Adaptive or Hybrid drive modes, then 3-6%. if Sport drive mode, then 16-20%. it's not designed to fully charge the battery in any of these drive modes. if you want the vehicle to fully charge the battery, then you'll need to active Battery Control mode (45e only) and set the target level to 100%.

if your use case warrants it, charging every night may be required for best electric utilization. that's the case for me who works M-F and commutes round trip with just electric power.
nZtiZia: Thanks, and yes, I was referring to the 50e. So, if my wife drives a 50e around 35 miles a day, she (or more to the point, I) will need to charge it every night to avoid the ICE. I think I understand this now, and thanks again.
- Retired: Three Lexuses.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 08:28 AM   #12
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot47fla View Post
nZtiZia: Thanks, and yes, I was referring to the 50e. So, if my wife drives a 50e around 35 miles a day, she (or more to the point, I) will need to charge it every night to avoid the ICE. I think I understand this now, and thanks again.
correct.

further, the 50e has Battery Hold mode which is different than the 45e's Battery Control mode. BH only holds the current charge at the time of activation. some have reported being able to attain a full charge with it, but it requires constant activation-regeneration-deactivation-reactivation cycles if you or your wife are willing to put in the effort (personally, i wouldn't)
Appreciate 2
      08-07-2023, 08:49 AM   #13
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:

Of the many reasons for buying an EV, this is the most unusual that I've ever heard. Many states, including Colorado where I live, have wildlife protection laws that restrict interactions between humans and wildlife. Pursuing a wild animal or herd of animals in a motor vehicle (so you can get that once in a lifetime selfie to post on social media) is regarded as wildlife harassment and is illegal.

In the many years I've lived here, I've seen tourists park illegally on the shoulder of the highway, exit their cars and approach herds of deer, elk, big horn sheep, bison and on one occasion a moose cow and her calf. None of these critters want to be your friend and pose for your camera, which is why there are laws that protect them (and you). Do yourself a favor and buy a tripod and telephoto lens, and keep your distance.

Furthermore, even with a quiet electric motor powered vehicle, your tires will be crunching loudly on the gravel roads.

Regarding high temperatures, if you plan to spend considerable time in triple digit regions, keep records of your charging and range performance. High temps decrease charging and capacity efficiencies of batteries, and we'd all be interested in learning how Phoenix compromises the specifications.
Appreciate 2
WagonFan271.50
cobramite1229.00
      08-07-2023, 08:55 AM   #14
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Ditto the comments above. If you're staying at a private residence (airbnb), the listing would likely indicate whether there's a charging station available. Otherwise assume it's a 110 household setup. Plug it in whenever you're not driving. Even if it's only half-charged, that's 20 miles you're not using gas.

I would never use the ICE to charge the battery fully. It's false economy.

I tried almost every strategy I could think of on a cross-country drive before I reminded myself that having the V6 available is the reason I bought the car in the first place.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2023, 08:58 AM   #15
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

I had several long road trips on my 45e with charging during nighttime, what can pull up to 16 Amp. It happened in cold and very hot climates, so the goal was to have battery charge for proper climatization of the car, and save few pennies on EV mode vs ICE in low speed/stop and go environments.

My setup was: 1 BMW factory charger (110v) and L2 charger (with NEMA 14-50) and an adapter to receptacles used by dryers (up to 30 Amp).

I used different options:
- L2 charges in the hotel
- regular 110v and 220v 30/40 Amp receptacles in the hotels (second are rare, but exist near electrical boxes)
- charged from dryer receptacles in AirBNBs homes
- charged on campsites with 30 and 40 Amp receptacles

If there were no charging options available overnight I used battery hold mode to charge the battery while on the highway.

ChargePoint (you need to have an account to use their free chargers), ChargeHub and PlugShare apps are very handy for every EV owner.
Appreciate 1
WagonFan271.50
      08-07-2023, 10:06 AM   #16
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
OP I think you’re wildly overestimating the number of places that will have a 240v NEMA outlet available for use, as compared to the number of available destination EVSE or commercial chargers available. I had a Tesla for years and never once encountered a hotel or Airbnb where I could have used a 240 outlet. In comparison tons of those places have free or cheap EVSEs that, at worst, you’d need a Tesla connection adapter to use.
Agreed, I don't expect to find 14-50 Nema outlets. When I considered the BMW adapter was to use further Amazon adapters to for from 14-30 or 10-30 or smaller to the 14-50 adapter. Still have to carry a bunch of adapters.

That's why I considered the Tesla set instead. It even provides 110 Volt adapters as the BMW Turbocharge.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 10:10 AM   #17
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanzyy View Post
As I mentioned in my reply, a turbocord (https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/5...BOCORD-CHARGER) is one of the most compact and economic solution for your use case
I appreciate your feedback. This something I had been considering. However the official BMW price is $449 and the 240 Volt adapter seems very limiting and not widely available. Best price I was able to find was $250 on EBay.

The Tesla connector and adapter set provides to my understanding the same functionality with its own intelligence to adapt the charging rate.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 10:17 AM   #18
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
Of the many reasons for buying an EV, this is the most unusual that I've ever heard.

Do yourself a favor and buy a tripod and telephoto lens, and keep your distance.
Maybe I should have mentioned that it's mostly birds

I use binoculars and a spotting scope. Still like to be quiet in the environment. However, if I see other wildlife, I won't look away ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
Regarding high temperatures, if you plan to spend considerable time in triple digit regions, keep records of your charging and range performance. High temps decrease charging and capacity efficiencies of batteries, and we'd all be interested in learning how Phoenix compromises the specifications.
That's an interesting point. I plan to be in southern Arizona in months like August. Temps > 110 are not unusual ...
Prime time for Hummingbirds ...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 10:28 AM   #19
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
Ditto the comments above. If you're staying at a private residence (airbnb), the listing would likely indicate whether there's a charging station available. Otherwise assume it's a 110 household setup. Plug it in whenever you're not driving. Even if it's only half-charged, that's 20 miles you're not using gas.

I would never use the ICE to charge the battery fully. It's false economy.

I tried almost every strategy I could think of on a cross-country drive before I reminded myself that having the V6 available is the reason I bought the car in the first place.
Yes, if need to I use the standard 110 Volt and I agree then I charge the 20 Miles.

Yes, I ordered the 50e for that combo. If I travel from a state to state, I plan to put battery hold on 20 miles and just use the ICE and forget the rest.

It's when I stay a few nights.

I searched airbnb for 5 days in Blue Ridge Mountains for after Performance Center Delivery. You can now filter by "EV Charger". I found > 1000 airbnb's available with EV capability in that 5 day timeframe in September.

However they seem to be on the higher price range.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 10:33 AM   #20
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

I don’t know. This whole concept sounds too complicated to me. Besides already mention, free standing 240V outlet availability, also consider they are NOT designed to be unplug and plug regularly, so unplugging dryer for evse and back, a few time a week isn’t the designed usage, especially when you renting other’s house, you further don’t know the condition of that plug.

If AC is what you are after, just use the 110V come from the car, charge it over night. Do the driving in sport mode, save the HVB for AC and precondition. It last a long time for this purpose. But don’t count in this operation being silent.

But then let me back up a bit. Isn’t the point of be in nature is to be in nature? Why hide in car with AC and watch.
Appreciate 1
WagonFan271.50
      08-07-2023, 10:42 AM   #21
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurker View Post
I had several long road trips on my 45e with charging during nighttime, what can pull up to 16 Amp. It happened in cold and very hot climates ...

My setup was: 1 BMW factory charger (110v) and L2 charger (with NEMA 14-50) and an adapter to receptacles used by dryers (up to 30 Amp).

I used different options:
- L2 charges in the hotel
- regular 110v and 220v 30/40 Amp receptacles in the hotels (second are rare, but exist near electrical boxes)
- charged from dryer receptacles in AirBNBs homes
- charged on campsites with 30 and 40 Amp receptacles

ChargePoint (you need to have an account to use their free chargers), ChargeHub and PlugShare apps are very handy for every EV owner.

Perfect. A lot of great information and kind what I am looking for.

Airbnb are increasing charging capabilities. I have one coming up in October not with a charger but with 30 Amp RV outlet.

Especially the "Dryer" option is something I have been considering. The standard is a 10-30 and I considered this adapter:
NEMA 10-30P to 14-50R EV Charger Adapter

Many places have 30 Amp Dryer outlet near the outside or Garage. This is one the main items in my consideration.

The Tesla kit offers this and the 30 Amp RV outlet as well and some intelligence. Maybe someone lurking around who has used this. I would be curious.

Regarding ChargePoint. Will be my at home charger as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurker View Post
If there were no charging options available overnight I used battery hold mode to charge the battery while on the highway.
Doesn't exist on the 50e anymore. You can't increase without crazy tricks the mileage any more. For those situations I plan to not let the battery drop below 20 miles.

Thanks again. Great advice and along the lines what I have in my plans.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 10:49 AM   #22
WagonFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
... Besides already mention, free standing 240V outlet availability, also consider they are NOT designed to be unplug and plug regularly ...
Staying for a week, the adapter would be plugged in only once. I could even limit to 20 Amp usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
But then let me back up a bit. Isn’t the point of be in nature is to be in nature? Why hide in car with AC and watch.
Agreed. We hike in Arizona in >100 F for a few hours, but it then would feel good to get into a pre-conditioned car and rest for 30 minutes while the ICE is off ...
Appreciate 0