BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-02-2007, 02:34 AM   #1
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Brake cooling ducts?

I was wondering today why the 135i, being the top model, wouldn't have foglights. I then took a closer look at one of the wallpaper images and recognized what appeared to be brake cooling ducts where the fog lights might normally be. This could be a very useful and telling sign of this cars intentions, if true. Below is the pic that made me consider this thought, notice the lack of plastic backing on the innermost openings on the outside lower grills. What do yall think?

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 02:55 AM   #2
kindtree
Private
Rep
Drives:

That's what they look like to me. But you can have brake cooling ducts and fog lights on the same car.... There's room for them right on the outer portion of the area in question....
      07-02-2007, 03:00 AM   #3
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindtree View Post
That's what they look like to me. But you can have brake cooling ducts and fog lights on the same car.... There's room for them right on the outer portion of the area in question....
Definately true. Let's hope there is both .
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 05:16 AM   #4
rimmer
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
there trying to mirror the M3, M5, M6. All of which have no foglights and have larger air intakes for Brakes etc. That was one question we asked at the spring model update here in the uk. It is also designed to seperate between the other models in the range.
      07-02-2007, 07:17 AM   #5
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

I agree...there's room for fogs.
I'll miss them because I use them so often in night driving. Low sidewalks in my city and the foglights come in very handy lighting up the edge of the roadway.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 08:00 AM   #6
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

While we are looking at official photos, the car we're looking at is some kind of a hybrid to provide a simultaneaous look at 128i and 135i. The "135i" pictured doesn't have all of the M Sport features that are supposed to be standard. Can't imagine a 135i with no fogs and I think it will be there on the real one...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 10:26 AM   #7
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

I have fogs on my current car and never use them. Good Xenon headlights will accomplish just as much, more effectively. To be honest, ditch the fogs and lower the cost. If the M5 doesnt need them, I dont need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
While we are looking at official photos, the car we're looking at is some kind of a hybrid to provide a simultaneaous look at 128i and 135i. The "135i" pictured doesn't have all of the M Sport features that are supposed to be standard. Can't imagine a 135i with no fogs and I think it will be there on the real one...
I keep thinking the same thing and the point is really hit home with the interior. No M-Badging everywhere (as said in the press release).
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 11:21 AM   #8
emm3tt
Out Driving
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
I have fogs on my current car and never use them. Good Xenon headlights will accomplish just as much, more effectively. To be honest, ditch the fogs and lower the cost. If the M5 doesnt need them, I dont need them.
That's what I keep thinking when I read people dying for fogs. If you have xenons, you really don't need them as auxiliary headlamps.

01 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #9
kindtree
Private
Rep
Drives:

You don't need them as auxiliary headlamps but they do serve a purpose in the fog that headlights can't match. On my E36, I had HID ellipsoids and HID fogs, and I never had problems seeing anything. I did notice, however, that the fogs were extremely helpful while driving in fog, and did light up parts of the roadway that headlamps can't reach....