BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-07-2007, 09:52 PM   #1
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Businees Week Bags on the 1 Series

"BMW's 1 Series: Small and Sporty"

In short, they feel it's a packaging nightmare and a dilution of the brand. I don't think they get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Business WEAK
There's no market for the gutless four-cylinder engines in the U.S. so the entry-level 1-Series will probably be the 128i, powered by a 230-hp 3.0-liter six-cylinder engine that's more than up to the task of propelling the hefty 3200-pound 1-Series along. Expect a 0-60 time of around six seconds and a limited top speed of 155 mph.

Enthusiasts will be more taken with the 135i, which will be powered by a 300-hp, 300 lb-ft 3.0-liter, twin-turbo six-banger. Just 40 hp or so down on the old M3, the 135i will be blisteringly fast, capable of hitting 60 in five seconds, reined in at 155 mph. Six-speed manuals and six-speed automatics will be available but those hoping for an M-powered 1-Series will be disappointed -- it's not planned. A ragtop convertible is in the pipeline, however, and will be clogging up the high-school parking lots of well-to-do neighborhoods by 2010.
      06-07-2007, 10:34 PM   #2
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

No, they didn't get it. And I think they didn't put much effort into trying either.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

not exactly true.. What they meant is that good suspention requires more space in the back, therefore there is less space for rear passenders..
My answer: who cares... I see this as a personal, 1 person car..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan@mwerks View Post

In short, they feel it's a packaging nightmare and a dilution of the brand. I don't think they get it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Calling it a "packaging nightmare" may be intended to highlight certain characteristics, like a tight back seat, but it leaves the impression that somehow they got the packaging wrong. This is likely not the case.

The rwd layout imposes challenges on the design of this car that other makers have not attempted. And this car is not inteded to be a long distance family hauler. Wait until it comes. The soccer moms will buy A3s and people that really want to drive will buy 1ers...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 10:31 AM   #5
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

We'll see these kind of kvetches pop up...it's already started with the cover story of the current issue of Car&Driver ("styling may be a turn-off") and now Business Week.
I agree...who cares besides of course, BMW. But the 1-er simply can't be a car for everyone. Nor should it be.
What I expect BMW to do is broaden the line even further
to include a roadster, which is apparently in the works and a small crossover.

But "understanding" the nature of the car is lacking in both articles...to simply say that it will be a little speedster when ecquipped with the twin-turbo or "M" version is short-sighted and glib as if fast is the only redeeming reason to get the car in the first place.
The 1-er is so much more than that; it signals a return to BMW's heritage of a small & sporty automobile in the premium segment and gives BMW's engineers and designers a whole new strategy to build from.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Thanks for an interesting read Bryan.

I actually think the article is surprisingly level-headed and reasonable, certainly better than what I would've expected from a business magazine.

I know most people that come here have to have a lot of love for this car, considering that it's not even out yet. But I really don't think the author was being unfair to the car.

Pretty much only thing he criticized the 1 was the lack of rear leg room, which is quite true. The term "packaging" does often refer to the ratio between the interior volume and the size of the car. BMW is often said to sacrifice packaging for the sake of dynamics. In this respect, FR layout with multilink rear suspension and 50:50 WD for a sub-compact car IS a packaging nightmare.

I know most people here really don't care about back seats, but if the 1 did not have back seats at all, then it would be competing not against the A3 but against the Z and the s2000. This I don't think is BMW's intention. The point is that having back seats is actually an important aspect of the 1's identity, and it also connects it to the heritage of 2002 as a PRACTICAL 2-door sports sedan. So I don't agree that whoever mentions the back seat "doesn't get it".

The pricing WILL be extremely crucial to the success of the 1, more than any other models that BMW currently sells. BMW does need to hit the sweet spot between maintaining premium image and staying well under the 3 series price range.

And besides, the guy talks about the lack of steering feel. How often do you hear that even from dedicated car mags? :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
eMINI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post
....And besides, the guy talks about the lack of steering feel. How often do you hear that even from dedicated car mags? :biggrin:
I caught that, too. And I wondered if he's right.

IIRC, he says something to the effect that this car, like other BMW models, lacks steering feel. I haven't spent any real time behind the wheel of anything newer than my '97 M3. It had great steering feel. Can anyone comment on the steering feel of the 1-series and other BMW models? In other words, is this guy right?
2010 135i Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Red Leather | Poplar Grey Wood Trim | 6MT | Premium pack | M Sport pack | Heated Seats | HK Premium sound | USB | Smartphone integration | Automatic high beams
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMINI View Post
I caught that, too. And I wondered if he's right.

IIRC, he says something to the effect that this car, like other BMW models, lacks steering feel. I haven't spent any real time behind the wheel of anything newer than my '97 M3. It had great steering feel. Can anyone comment on the steering feel of the 1-series and other BMW models? In other words, is this guy right?
I'm sure real experts will chime in with first hand experience, but if you read British magazines like Evo I think it's pretty much true that steering feel (at least a meaningful one) is becoming a thing of yesterday.

It doesn't help the cause either that the face-lifted 1 now has a fuel saving electric assisted steering.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #9
eMINI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post
I'm sure real experts will chime in with first hand experience, but if you read British magazines like Evo I think it's pretty much true that steering feel (at least a meaningful one) is becoming a thing of yesterday.

It doesn't help the cause either that the face-lifted 1 now has a fuel saving electric assisted steering.
I hear ya, but I think the steering feel in the MINI is great and it's electric-assist. Need to hear from someone with an E90/E92, don't we?
2010 135i Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Red Leather | Poplar Grey Wood Trim | 6MT | Premium pack | M Sport pack | Heated Seats | HK Premium sound | USB | Smartphone integration | Automatic high beams
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #10
eMINI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Steering feel on E90?

So... do they or don't they still have good steering feel? You know, like the E24, E28 & E30 did? Like my E36 did?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #11
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

(subscribed for an answer)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2007, 06:13 PM   #12
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan@mwerks View Post

That is an observation that I'm sure we've all made/noticed....a lot of people seem to not get it. lets extend that discussion a bit. Why are people not getting it? All you have to do is glance at the 1 series coupe and convertible and see that its brilliant. Why are so many people not getting it?
Appreciate 0