BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: 1-er...What's Your Plans?
Still interested...but I want to know more before I commit. My interest is 50/50 at this point. 13 41.94%
It's looking less and less interesting - I'll probably take a pass. 1 3.23%
The more I see it...the more I like it. Very likely to get the 1-er. 8 25.81%
Positively sure this is my next car. Nothing will stop me from getting it! 9 29.03%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

05-02-2007, 07:48 AM   #1
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Vote: Will you get a 1-er?

What are your plans regarding the 1-er? Knowing what you know, at this point are you...

1) Still interested...but I want to know more before I commit. My interest is 50/50 at this point.

2) It's looking less and less interesting - I'll probably take a pass on it.

3) The more I see it...the more I like it. Very Likely to get one.

4) Positively sure this is my car. Nothing will stop me from getting it!

I'm positive of what my plans are...and it's taken awhile to decide. I started wondering how everybody was thinking at this point.
Please feel free to describe some points that has brought you to this decision!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 08:31 AM   #2
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

So far, I'm completely sold on the car - the look, the concept. For my dollar, it will be the car to beat in the luxury sport compact segment. There are other cars that I've got in my sights: Mini Cooper S and VW GTI are back-up plans "A" and "B". Audi A3 and Merc B200 are out there too, but are a little soft for my taste.

The only factors that could unseat the 1er from top spot as my next car are a disappointing engine line-up or an unexpectedly high price. My tolerance for sticker price is about $36K USD ($40K CAD), and my expectation for that price is a well equipped 1er with a respectable engine (i.e. 130i).

My timeline is 2009 or 2010. Unless it's necessary to buy in the first production year, as it appears to be in your case, Brookside, the only benefits are bragging rights. So I'll wait a model year to see how it shakes out. We're also managing another car payment, daycare costs and have our second little one on the way, so 2008 is an unlikely year for another new car. But I'll certainly be envious of all you early adopters...

130i with sport package, metallic red on black leather...:headbang:
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

135i Sport is a go, as long as BMW doesn't de-tune the engine from 335 and keep the weight down.. Make mine a hatch in USA.. Hatch > coupe for me (need practicality)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 09:18 AM   #4
Brookside
Major
Rep

I'm as close to 100% as you can get with the amount of info that's out there.
The next Z4 is going to incorporate a solid folding roof and I'm sure it'll be more expensive and heavier...not the trend I'm interested in.

The coupe is the way I want to go.

btw...Advevo says he shot this in the parking lot behind BMW's full-time facility at the Nurburgring. He id's it on GCZ as the M1 prototype...what a rarity this machine is!
Didn't say exactly what the configuration is, and it may be disguising a carbon-fibre roof.
I wonder what they do with them once the production models are out?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #5
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
I wonder what they do with them once the production models are out?
Crash tests?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 11:18 AM   #6
ibn
Rep
Drives:

I voted "I'm getting less ad ess interested over time."All I wanted was a 3 door hatch. It's more practical for me. The coupe will probably be a grear car, but I have no real use for it. And for the price, I'm looking at getting an Infiniti EX35 instead. Paying 35k+ for a 1 series isn't a great value, imo. I'd rather suck it up and buy a 3 series. Only way the 1 series can catch my interest again is with a 4 cylinder turbo diesel. I have no need for 250+ in a coupe because it's just power I'll never use. Just a reliable, fuel efficent engine with some zip.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 11:31 AM   #7
kere
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

I'll get the 3 door hatch or the coupe but I'll have to see them both IRL before I can make my mind, but for now the coupe is still ahead.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #8
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
Crash tests?

For the record, I'm sure I'll get the 1-er coupe.
There's other great cars out there...and probably more on the way by the time the 1-er arrives here (May 2008 last time I heard),
but like George Tenet says, "it's a slam dunk case."

I can't imagine how they're going to get this anything but right- including price and which drivetrains they bring over to N/A.
I think it's going to be a very special car.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 07:41 AM   #9
ZweierCoupe
Private
Rep
Drives:

Potential Competition to BMW Coupé in Two or Three Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post

My timeline is 2009 or 2010.
Well, within that purchasing time frame, there might already be two interesting new products on the market, coming from the VW group, that might be seen as competition to the small BMW coupé, with regard to performance and driving exhilaration, among certain potential buyers:

* Somewhat more expensive, for those who don't really need rear seating and put a premium on performance:
The entry-level Porsche Cayman with a better engine (more powerful, better low-end torque, yet improved fuel efficiency due to direct injection), a limited slip differential for even better handling characteristics, and more leightweight due to use of aluminum in some places.

* Somewhat less expensive, for those who don't mind a hatchback door and place a premium on practicality:
The new Audi A1 in the 4-wheel drive quattro version, which is likely to be offered in addition to front-wheel drive. Audi has promised this car to be a "MINI killer", and it will be about 20 cm longer than the MINI, hence more practical. Though the engine won't be as smooth as an inline or boxer six, preliminary pictures of this car make it look very promising. If it has an aluminimum frame (like the discontinued A2) it will be light and could have superior handling. The A1, if Audi gets it right, has excellent potential to be a smash hit, especially among urban dwellers who want luxury but hate passing by parking gaps that are just slightly too small.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 08:05 AM   #10
superlight
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 4runner

I have tested the 2007 Mini Cooper S, and the VW GTI. If the ride on the new 1 coupe is too harsh, I will go with the GTI.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 08:32 AM   #11
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZweierCoupe View Post
The entry-level Porsche Cayman...
This would be the ultimate for fun, but likely a little pricey for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZweierCoupe View Post
The new Audi A1 in the 4-wheel drive quattro version...
I'm going to keep my eye on this one. I'm generally partial to BMW (brand identification, or whatever), but if the Audi is convincing, BMW will have to earn my business...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #12
Jeff10236
Rep
Drives:

Give me the diesel in a 5 door and it would make a great companion for my new (to me) 2003 325i. Make the price point between $25-30K and a 1-series lease is definately in my future.

With what they'll likely be coming out with (it seems people stepping up from the GTI may be the target audience), I may, but I'll more likely get something else. I'm almost 37, I already have a fun car (my 325), my next fun vehicle will be a Harley or Suzuki Boulevard, I want more practicality than what most of the 1-series versions they are likely to send will give.
Appreciate 0