BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-08-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
Declan
Private
Rep
Drives:

What do you think will be the top-end version?

What's everyone think - will there be an ///M version or will the top version be the twin turbo model with the 335i engine? Reasons?

It'd be fun to see them bring the ///M treatment all the way down to this car but personally a 135/235 would be plenty awesome performance for me already. Also, maybe making an expensive M version of the car defeats the whole purpose of this car which is an an intro type model to the entire BMW lineup.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

It seems like every model eventually gets the "M" treatment.
But even the concept of having the twin-turbo dropped into this thing as a high-end option is mind-boggling
let alone what a V8 would do if that were the route BMW were to follow with an "M".
Me, I'd take the regular 3.0 inline 6 and be very very happy. Remember, this is like the umpteenth version of the engine-
now with direct fuel injection, new magnesium/aluminum block....the performance specs should be outrageous.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 09:33 AM   #3
aMetalhead
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46

Anyone know if the 335i engine will fit in this car for sure? If so my guess is they will give us a twin turbo version of this car, at least.

About an "M" version of the car - I can't imagine what engine could be used. The V8 from the new M3 will be out of the question and I couldn't see them using the S54 M engine from the e46 m3. So maybe what will end up happening is that a version with the 335i engine will actually be the M-version. If that ends up being the case, then whether they call it and badge it an ///M is all up to BMW marketing
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
imported_sbw
Ultimate Driver
Rep
Drives:

I doubt BMW will put the twin-turbo in the 1 Series. It would risk cannibalizing 3 Series sales, especially of the entry-level models (328i, etc.).

Autobahn Report — BMW News, Road Tests, Photos
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Talking

I think they would put it in. But it would be priced more than the 328i ofcourse. Plus, those shopping for a 328i probably wouldnt appreciate the rawness and limited space of the 135i.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 11:44 AM   #6
DTC
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbw View Post
I doubt BMW will put the twin-turbo in the 1 Series. It would risk cannibalizing 3 Series sales, especially of the entry-level models (328i, etc.).
But by that logic BMW wouldn't have put the turbo engine into the 335i since they are putting it into the 5-series soon. You might be right but I hope you're not :wink: Id love to see a cheaper RWD turbo coupe than the 335i on the market (and in my garage) :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 12:48 PM   #7
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I have heard alot of grumblings about people thinking the N54 is too heavy for the 1/2 series. I think there is the possibility though, of us getting a smaller turbo motor.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 02:34 PM   #8
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

They dont call themselves Motor Works for nothin!!! they can make it work. i mean we've seen 135 hatchbacks and didnt winding road confirm some sort of 135 is coming to the U.S.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 02:48 PM   #9
DTC
Rep
Drives:

Look at the blacked out intercooler looking thing in that pic.

I have faith we're getting a turbo engine !! (crosses fingers) :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #10
thesunfell
Rep
Drives:

i believe through the current and past trends of bmw engines, since the 335 engine isn't a //M series it will be used in the 5 series for sure (its already been confirmed) more than likely it will be used in the 1/2 series also.
twin turbo is nothing special compared to the engineering that goes into the //M series' engines...
with that being said i don't think they'll make an //M badged vehicle since it will conflict with the //M1 but will however make a 2.5L I6 entry level the 3.0L I6 high end and 3.0L TT I6 as the Top end vehicle...possibly have those as limited production cars to keep them where they should be...in the hands of true enthusiests...how many people do you see just cruising in a //M5 or //M3 for that matter who just wanted a bmw?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #11
kway
BMW CCA# 144245
Rep
Drives:

I am of the opinion that there will eventually be an ///M version, and that of course would be "top dawg". I'm definitely holding out for one, that's what I've wanted all along. As far as it being powered by the 335i engine, that's not what I'm envisioning, nor what I'd be interested in. Horsepower alone does not an M car make. From all I've read about the 335i, it seems like a great engine for the sport luxury application, but wouldn't convey the race bred feeling an M car is supposed to have. I think something along the lines of the E46 M3s S54 would suit it nicely, but I certainly wouldn't be averse to a turbo 4 cylinder. A turbocharged variant of the euro E90 320is engine perhaps? There are rumors of a turbo 4 powered M version of the upcoming Z2 roadster, so who knows? I'll hold out for a few years after the "basic" 1/2 coupe is released, as tough as that will be. Oh well, the longer they make me wait, the bigger my down payment becomes! :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 04:47 PM   #12
thesunfell
Rep
Drives:

i can relate to what you are saying but i don't think they will be a true m1/m2 version of the car...it would defeat the price point...
lets say they use the e46 m3 engine you are talking about in the small car (which was almost too heavy for that car to begin with, way too heavy for a smaller car)...for the same price as a you would have a car that weighs alot less than a 335i with 333hp (more than the TT btw) for around the same price of a 300 hp TT, if you were buying the car for performance what would you choose? further proving my point....
now say they drop that same engine in the car enhance it's style and suspension to match the engine and make them shorter on inventory then you would have something comparable to an //m series giving you the same raw power at the same price as a stock 335i...

and unless they dub this a 2 series, which is highly unlikly from the stuff i read, you would conflict the m1 now to the m1 supercar which started it all...

just my $.02
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #13
kway
BMW CCA# 144245
Rep
Drives:

I had a feeling my statement would be misunderstood. What I meant by along the lines of the S54, was an engine utilizing the 6 cylinder individual throttle body configuration, not that BMW would actually use the S54 in a 1 series platform. I think BMW ///M could easily wring around 300hp out of the existing 130i engine while endowing it with the proper sporting charachter. 300hp isn't even stupid horsepower these days, the freakin' Dodge Caliber SRT-4 is supposedly going to be right around there when it's released, obviously at a price point far lower than the car we're discussing. Pricewise, I'm prepared to spend in the low $40k range (and even have the wife's approval!), a big question is how many other potential buyers think the same.
Appreciate 0