BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-08-2006, 07:03 PM   #1
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

1er coupe U.S. price point???

Where do you guys think the 2er coupe would slot in price wise???
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2006, 09:47 PM   #2
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

I think there'll be some overlapping prices with the 3- the 2 has got to be base priced under 30k just to get young people not only in the door of dealership but actually buying the car.
My guess is probably pretty conventional- ....so here goes...
28-36k range: base model to fully optioned.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2006, 06:37 PM   #3
BEE-EM-VAY
Rep
Drives:

my guess is 26-27 base. it is suppose to be an audi A3 fighter which base is 25k.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2006, 08:30 AM   #4
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Depends on the engines. Canada has the 323i, which is the current bargain basement for BMW. It has all the essentials except, (annoyingly) cruise control, unless you take the premium package. The price diff for 323i to 328i is $5,400 in Canadian $$. Were it available in the US, I'd say the 323i would come in at around $28K.

If a 2er comes in with the same engine (200bhp), manual tranny, basic 16" alloy wheels and the minimum features for a BMW, I'd say it would be right around the base A3 and there would have to be a reasonable increment from the base 3-series. So my guess is an entry level 123i/223i at US$25-26K.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2007, 10:12 PM   #5
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

My educated guess is in line with what some of the others have said. Figure a base price of around $28k for a basic 125i (200hp, leatherette, manual, no sunroof, etc.), probably around $31k for a standard issue 130i (265 hp, leatherette, manual, no roof). Figure on adding another $5000 to $8000 for the goodies you'll want (sport package, HIDs, leather, heated seats, etc). We'll probably know more by this time next year.:wink:
      02-04-2007, 02:21 PM   #6
DTC
Rep
Drives:

My guess $27,000 - $28,000 for a base starting point for the coupe. Wonder how much more expensive the convertible will be. I think this car is gonna look great in either form.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2007, 04:00 PM   #7
JetJockey
Registered
Rep
Drives:

26k-32k range is my price point for next car. I hope I'll be able to get something nice for this price.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2007, 10:08 PM   #8
Galligan
Private
Rep
Drives:

Here's my reasoning and guess:

The reason their bringing this car here is as an introduction bmw under the 3-series so a base model has to be a few thousand cheaper than the cheapest 3-series which is about $32k.. which puts this car probably at $27-28k for a base model.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 10:17 AM   #9
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe

I think the 27-30k starting price point is perfect for getting some younger buyers into the BMW fold, without diluting the marquee too much. But, it's not only the price of the 1/2er coupe+cabrio that will attract the younger buyers, but also the image of the car. I think that there are some 20-somethings may not want a grown-up sedan and coupe like the current 3-series range and would prefer a smaller and more playful car like a small BMW coupe or convertible. That's why I think this will be a great introductory car for BMW. :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 11:00 AM   #10
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Funny. Didn't they used to say that about the 3-series? The more things change, the more they stay the same...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #11
Brookside
Major
Rep

Those are all good points....
I just got out of a planning meeting and a couple points that came up
throws a little wrench into how seemingly affordable-(27k base model 2-coupe. That's the figure that seems to be a concensus
around here)- the little Bimmer is.
maybe food for thought..

Average cost of tuition in a private college in the U.S. for 1 year- $23,000.

% of U.S. population with a 4-year college degree....21%...btw, that's the lowest it has been since post-WW2...over 60 years.

U.S. Average income, adjusted for inflation, is actually falling. And this is a trend that is spiralling downward over the last decade. That creeps me out.

The idea of an entry-level BMW is appealing to us on this thread, and probably affordable for most of us- but 27k is just far enough out of reach
to be only a dream for a lot of people that this little car is aimed at....young/young-at-heart.

You can bet Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, are all going to aim at this market...small/fast/sporty with product that is within reach of young people with limited incomes.

ps--sorry to be a bummer.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 02:52 PM   #12
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

This car will have a BMW badge on it...and it is good looking. People will pay. I kno a lot of wealthy individuals that have crazy expensive cars on their driveways and not much furniture in their homes. We all pick our poisons. This one is MINE!!!! :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 03:10 PM   #13
Brookside
Major
Rep

I don't want to argue. :biggrin:

But I know a lot of smart 21-22 year olds who are saddled with +100k of debt and scared sh*tless of their financial future...Which doesn't include a BMW in the driveway.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 03:13 PM   #14
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
I don't want to argue. :biggrin:

But I know a lot of smart 21-22 year olds who are saddled with +100k of debt and scared sh*tless of their financial future...Which doesn't include a BMW in the driveway.
But there are also a lot of 16-21 year olds whose parents are helping to purchase their first cars that will gladly pay under $30k for a BMW (especially one that's considered the "entry" BMW). :wink:

One look at the online 3-series community and there's an indication that there are plenty of 16-25 year olds who can and are willing to purchase a $30k+ BMW, either by themselves or with the parents help. As long as this car doesn't disappoint in performance and marketing does a good job promoting it, it will sell.. even if it is an entry-level BMW that sells for near $30k. That's JMHO.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 12:58 AM   #15
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post

Average cost of tuition in a private college in the U.S. for 1 year- $23,000.

Yet tuition for a school like mine (The University of Texas, the school where all old Texas money goes), is only about 7k a year. Some of the first E92s I saw in Austin were driven by "rich" soriority girls down on campus .

Consider that the Mustang GT (a car that sells over 60K a year), once well equipped runs ~28K. 350z are over 30K well equipped. Cars like those are other serious contendors for this car IMO (maybe that is because I also would consider buying them ), since they offer two door, performance oriented packages.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 10:08 AM   #16
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

The real market is 30+ years. Young profesionals who want quality, and may aspire towards 3-series/5-series if/when they require more space. I'm confident that there will be a credible offering just under or on the entry-level 3er price point.

Don't know where everyone else is in life, but as a mid-30s professional with young kids and two cars, one of which is a minivan, the 1-series is perfect. BMW quality/performance/design/prestige, 4 seats, a trunk and, hopefully, a semi-affordable price tag. With the minivan as the family car, we have all the space we need, so the 1er will be my sanctuary, as is my current car...

I don't consider rich 16-20 year olds as a serious target market. Sure, many cars are sold that way. But I wouldn't say that wealthy 7-car families need to discriminate between a 1er and 3er. If the 1er is there, they'll buy it. But they could buy anything... My guess is that segment is factored in to the marketing plan as a given. And I would guess that their influence on the car market (even for upscale cars) is generally over-estimated.

Of course I'm saying all this because I really hope the Little-Johnny-Richboy-look-what-Dad-bought-me-cause-I-got-an-A-in-math image is not so easily attached to this car.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #17
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
Don't know where everyone else is in life, but as a mid-30s professional with young kids and two cars, one of which is a minivan, the 1-series is perfect. BMW quality/performance/design/prestige, 4 seats, a trunk and, hopefully, a semi-affordable price tag. With the minivan as the family car, we have all the space we need, so the 1er will be my sanctuary, as is my current car...
More or less in the same boat- 36, white-collar, married, 1 toddler, 4 dogs and a house in the suburbs. I've driven GTIs/Golfs most of my driving days, but feel I've outgrown the "tuner" crowd that seems to follow that car these days. I could easily buy a 3 Series, but I still love small cars, so the 1 Series really appeals to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
Of course I'm saying all this because I really hope the Little-Johnny-Richboy-look-what-Dad-bought-me-cause-I-got-an-A-in-math image is not so easily attached to this car.
I'm still worried that's going to be a problem. It's the nature of the market. Young, affluent kids will be drawn to the badge and sympathetic parents will be able to justify the purchase because it's "just an entry-level" BMW. It's an unfortunate fact of life, but I think there will be some divided factions. One camp will be the mature driving enthusiasts with respect for older cars like 2002 or E30 M3. Another camp will be the young rich kids flaunting their parents' affluence.
      02-15-2007, 01:44 PM   #18
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan@mwerks View Post
One camp will be the mature driving enthusiasts with respect for older cars like 2002 or E30 M3. Another camp will be the young rich kids flaunting their parents' affluence.
Well let's stick together then. FANBOYS, STAY AWAAAAY !!!!!!!!

But seriously, there's nothing more boring than exchanging views with people who can't identify with what it means to earn something.

And I'm stuck with the unfortunate preminition that there'll be fanboys on this site comparing VIN numbers to see who got the the first one, quickly moving on to hyperactive exchanges about lowered suspensions, performance exhausts, aero kits and 20" mags.

I really hope that this site is able to stay true to the interests of real BMW enthusiasts and that the quality of discussion stays reasonably high.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 03:24 PM   #19
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

I'm not a big fan of modifying a car to the extreme but you guys really shouldnt knock those who want to change around the wheels and add performance exhausts, etc. The fact that they want to do those things shouldnt make them any less of an enthusiast than those who keep it stock. Once this car is out and months after there will simply be nothing to talk about on these forums and thus become obsolete. Dont get me wrong, i have appreciated the high quality of the discussions on here thus far but it is sure to change when this car is comes out.

And whats with the ragging on those who get these cars from their parents. Its really not their fault. I happened to get a very nice first car from my parents. I did not act cocky and didnt appreciate the car any less than those who bought it with there own money. All the maintenance, insurance, and everything became my responsibility. Plus, many of my friends did not even have a car. So if anything i felt like a P.O.S.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #20
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

S2K, I don't want to throw every driver into one category or another. It's tough to communicate nuance and subtlety in discussion forums, so I'll expand a little on my earlier comments to help clarify my feelings.

First, on the issue of this car appealing to younger drivers, I think it's only natural that BMW's smallest, least expensive car will do just that. BMWs in general appeal to young, affluent, educated buyers; the 1 Series will be no different. What I'm hoping is that the car doesn't become stigmatized as a "kid's car." It's what turns me off of the GTI, WRX, Evo, and so on. That said, don't assume I'm not a fan of performance cars. Quite the opposite is true. But my boy-racer days are behind me.

Whether we like it or not, our cars make statements about our personalities, and you will be judged by what you drive. At 36 I'm not out of touch with youth, but I'm certainly more accomplished and mature than I used to be, and I want my car to convey that to a degree.

Second, on the subject of modifying, I'm all for it. The only car I've ever owned that wasn't modded in some way was an 84 Saab, and there simply wasn't an aftermarket for that car (even wheels were a nightmare to find). My 1 Series will be no exception. As I stated above, I truly believe a car is an extension of your personality. Wheels make a very personal statement, suspension determines a car's attitude, and so on.

What I disagree with is taking a fully compentent car and molesting it to the point of uselessness in the interest of making it your own. But to each his own.

In the end, I'll probably enjoy my 1er regardless. But it would certainly be nice to have some company.
      02-15-2007, 06:52 PM   #21
rThor234
E30 Driver
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
First, on the issue of this car appealing to younger drivers, I think it's only natural that BMW's smallest, least expensive car will do just that. BMWs in general appeal to young, affluent, educated buyers; the 1 Series will be no different. What I'm hoping is that the car doesn't become stigmatized as a "kid's car." It's what turns me off of the GTI, WRX, Evo, and so on. That said, don't assume I'm not a fan of performance cars. Quite the opposite is true. But my boy-racer days are behind me.

Whether we like it or not, our cars make statements about our personalities, and you will be judged by what you drive. At 36 I'm not out of touch with youth, but I'm certainly more accomplished and mature than I used to be, and I want my car to convey that to a degree.

What I disagree with is taking a fully compentent car and molesting it to the point of uselessness in the interest of making it your own. But to each his own.
I personally think that BMW appeals to young drivers because of their excellent marketing. The E87 will be appealing to teens because it is one step closer to that ///M car they all dream of. The price is a lot less than that $50,000 M3 that they want, and it still has that amazing Roundel badge.

I'd say that E30 car you own conveys a good degree of accomplishment and maturity. But at the same time it definitely keeps that 'youthful' party image.

And to the last statement, as you said, to each his own.

Well I'm glad to see this e87 car is bringing people of all ages and backgrounds together. Thats neat eh?

I believe that the price will be $26-32,000 depending on engines, trim, accessories, etc. Except in my case because BMW is going to cut me a sweet deal on a year old Euro E87 120d and sell it to me for $20,000 so that they can make room for a 2008 model. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 08:17 PM   #22
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
S2K, I don't want to throw every driver into one category or another. It's tough to communicate nuance and subtlety in discussion forums, so I'll expand a little on my earlier comments to help clarify my feelings.

Second, on the subject of modifying, I'm all for it. The only car I've ever owned that wasn't modded in some way was an 84 Saab, and there simply wasn't an aftermarket for that car (even wheels were a nightmare to find). My 1 Series will be no exception. As I stated above, I truly believe a car is an extension of your personality. Wheels make a very personal statement, suspension determines a car's attitude, and so on.

In the end, I'll probably enjoy my 1er regardless. But it would certainly be nice to have some company.

Ahh I see. I totally agree with you on all 3 counts Bryan. I dont want it to become a "kids car" either. I cant stand that the whole modifying something great either. My s2k is completely stock and i love it!! :wink:
Appreciate 0