BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-21-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Waiting patiently for a 130i

Hey everyone, first post here. I am anxiously awaiting BMW's decision to bring the 1 Series to the US. I currently have a E30 318is, which I absolutley love. Was very close to getting a new GTI, but have decided to wait it out for a 130i.

I've actually had a chance to to drive the 120i while in Europe. As much as I thought the 150hp 2-liter would be adequate for the 1 Series, I was a bit disappointed. The fact that BMW will only be bringing the 1 Series here as 6-cylinder models is probably a wise idea.

I'm really hoping they decide to bring a 130i coupe here.

Anyway, here is my dream car, should BMW decide to build it....

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
Brava
Rep
Drives:

In what way did you find the 120i "disappointing?"

135mph and 0-62 in 8.7secs not enough? I agree that a 130i has more and I would love to have one although when I got my car it wasn't even certain yet there would be 130i at all. But I find contrasting the relative abundance of the 265bhp 130i with the 150bhp 120i as "a bit disappointing" a tad condescending and even "spoilt."

What is this "need" for Americans to have more? The 65mph speed limit? The 8 lane traffic jams? The straight interstates?

Anyway, IMO the "sportyness" of a car is more in the mind of the driver than in mere statistics. If I can get everything out of my car up an Alpine pass I find that much more inspiring and satyisfying than someone who can do it faster but with two fingers up his/her nose.

Long ago there was an article in Car Magazine arguing just this. It contrasted a Citroen 2CV, driven to within an inch of its life with a then current Lancia Delta Integrale. The Lancia being many times more powerful and faster, four wheel driven and built as a rallying homologation special, than the 2CV. Yet the decider is not time or speed but the ability of the driver to get the maximum out of the car.

I hope you will enjoy your future car as I do mine.

Brava

Click to see my BMW Japan Red 120i manual

To me a grudge is nothing more than a place to pork your cor.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 08:35 AM   #3
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I had the unique opportunity to spend a week driving a 120i, an Audi A3 2.0, and a new GTI through Europe with three friends. We switched cars frequently so that everyone had ample seat time in each car.

Where I was most let down by the 120i was in its mid-range power delivery and response. The Audi we had was also a naturally-aspirated 2.0 liter, 16-valve, also putting out 150 horsepower. The weight of both cars was similar, and the Audi was FWD. Inevitably, when we would open them up up on the Autobahn the BMW was always trailing. It lacked the mid-range punch of the Audi, and seemed to have a very narrow "sweet spot" between about 4000 and 5500 rpm.

Two engine characteristics leave the 120i a little weak (in my opinion). 1) The absence of low-to mid-range torque (the Audi's FSI engine really highlighted this flaw) and 2) the narrow powerband. If they're going to build an engine that relies on revs for its power, it should continue to produce power beyond 5500 rpm.

Other than that, we all fell in love with the cars chassis dynamics, and two of us conceded that if the only way to get a 1 Series was as a 120i, we'd do it in a heartbeat.

What is this "need" for Americans to have more? The 65mph speed limit? The 8 lane traffic jams? The straight interstates?

Outright speed is less important to me and, indeed, to most Americans. I've owned numerous tuned GTIs over the years and never seen the dark side of 130 mph. Our ridiculously low speed limits and wide, straight highways are certainly at conflict with one another, much to my dismay. And yes, traffic jams are common.

I am in no way a power junkie, but with 150hp hauling around 2700 lbs, the 120i lacked the kind of sharpness I would expect from a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 01:58 AM   #4
mhoutman
Private
Rep
Drives: E87 130i/E91 325i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan@mwerks
I had the unique opportunity to spend a week driving a 120i, an Audi A3 2.0, and a new GTI through Europe with three friends. We switched cars frequently so that everyone had ample seat time in each car.

my choice - with pain in my heart - would be the GTI; it is so refined ans some even consider it a better car than the new R32. The GTI is ultimate vakue for money.
MY '06 E91 325i Touring "High Executive" and MY '06 E81 130i "High Executive" Color: Monaco Blue, Interior: black Dakota leather, Transmission: manual 6-speed Other options: sportsuspension, AFS, (panorama) sunroof, M-Sport headlining, Bridgestone Potenza RFT, ACC, LOGIC 7, PDC, foldable mirrors, ski-bag etc. etc. etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2006, 05:53 PM   #5
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoutman
my choice - with pain in my heart - would be the GTI; it is so refined ans some even consider it a better car than the new R32. The GTI is ultimate vakue for money.
The MarkV GTI is a great car for sure, but if the 1-series comes to the states in coupe form and looking anything like the pic you posted, it will blow the GTI away in looks. :thumbup:

Are you still holding out for a 1?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2006, 06:30 PM   #6
bmwfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I just came from a trip to europe and after seeing the 130i there in person, all I can say is wow! IMO the M-sport kit is a must on this car
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZ
The MarkV GTI is a great car for sure, but if the 1-series comes to the states in coupe form and looking anything like the pic you posted, it will blow the GTI away in looks. :thumbup:

Are you still holding out for a 1?
Yep, I have time on my side. I'll wait it out.

I talked with one of the BMW folks again last week at the New York auto show and although the 1 Series isn't his baby, he told me essentially the same thing I've heard in the past.

No hatchbacks, but either a coupe or sedan, though he wouldn't say. However, he did remind me that 2-door convertible mules have been seen running around, and suggested that I was probably smart enough to put 2 and 2 together. So the coupe variant is looking promising. We won't see a 1 Series until after it gets a mid-life freshening though.

Honestly, I'm not even sure BMW North America really wants to give the 1 Series a chance here. Every time I bring it up they seem really hesitant to speak with any authority on it. I guess the 318ti really burned them. (And I bought one of them too.)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2006, 02:33 PM   #8
Galligan
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan@mwerks
Yep, I have time on my side. I'll wait it out.

I talked with one of the BMW folks again last week at the New York auto show and although the 1 Series isn't his baby, he told me essentially the same thing I've heard in the past.

No hatchbacks, but either a coupe or sedan, though he wouldn't say. However, he did remind me that 2-door convertible mules have been seen running around, and suggested that I was probably smart enough to put 2 and 2 together. So the coupe variant is looking promising. We won't see a 1 Series until after it gets a mid-life freshening though.

Honestly, I'm not even sure BMW North America really wants to give the 1 Series a chance here. Every time I bring it up they seem really hesitant to speak with any authority on it. I guess the 318ti really burned them. (And I bought one of them too.)
You've shown yourself to be a true fan of small compact BMW's by admitting to have bought the 318ti :wink: I'm hoping they bring the coupe over and soon. Seeing the spyshots of the convertible made me realize how nice this car will be in proportion and size if it's a coupe. I hope after BMW is done with rolling out their E92 and new M3 they'll turn to the 1-series
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2006, 07:10 PM   #9
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galligan
You've shown yourself to be a true fan of small compact BMW's by admitting to have bought the 318ti :wink: I'm hoping they bring the coupe over and soon. Seeing the spyshots of the convertible made me realize how nice this car will be in proportion and size if it's a coupe. I hope after BMW is done with rolling out their E92 and new M3 they'll turn to the 1-series
I sure hope they hurry up......One can only wait so long....Good news though, my E34 525i is still running pretty well :headbang:
Appreciate 0