07-06-2023, 10:22 AM   #1
robbin58
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i

Garage List
Engine Auto-Off

I'm trying to learn and understand exactly how the "Engine Off" programming in my '24 X6 m60i works.

Sometimes, when I put the car in park and open the door, the engine turns off. It doesn't happen all the time though, and I haven't been able to consistently replicate it. It just appears random.

For example, I've ran back home to grab something with the plan to run in and back out. I want to leave the car running, but when I put the car in park and open the door, the engine shuts off.

It doesn't happen all the time, though either. Yesterday, I returned home from work, put the car in park and opened the door (the exact same way) and the engine continued to run.

The only thing I've been able to gather is that if I hold the brake down, the engine will not turn off until I release it (even with the door open), but only on the occasions where the engine turns off. Again, there are times where it will continue to run.

I reached out to the dealer and was told that the engine off has to do with the "hybrid system" and something about safety, but with the inconsistencies in application (at least as far as I can tell), I don't see that being a legitimate explanation.

Can anyone help me understand this? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 11:49 AM   #2
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Also turns off with non hybrid system. I can stop it on my M50i by turning off the ASS.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2023, 12:03 PM   #3
robbin58
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
I can stop it on my M50i by turning off the ASS.
That's helpful when I want to open the door and keep the car running.

It also confirms that the dealer gave me a garbage answer.

But it's not really satisfying my desire to understand why it's happening (or not happening).
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 12:12 PM   #4
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Also turns off with non hybrid system. I can stop it on my M50i by turning off the ASS.
All current X5/X6 models are "hybrid" in the context of the dealer's statement.
      07-06-2023, 01:00 PM   #5
getmetnow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05

My SA told me to switch to Sport mode once in Park. Then rev engine a couple times in Park. I was then able to open the door and go to my PO Box to get my mail with it still on and not turning off. That worked for me so maybe give it a try.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2023, 02:56 PM   #6
robbin58
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmetnow View Post
My SA told me to switch to Sport mode once in Park. Then rev engine a couple times in Park. I was then able to open the door and go to my PO Box to get my mail with it still on and not turning off. That worked for me so maybe give it a try.
I appreciate these solutions, but they seem more involved than just restarting the car after a few moments. Why it happens at all is really what I want to understand.

Where is turtleboy when we need him?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 03:50 PM   #7
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbin58 View Post
I appreciate these solutions, but they seem more involved than just restarting the car after a few moments. Why it happens at all is really what I want to understand.

Where is turtleboy when we need him?
He also wishes he knew the reasons for how it operates. For all of the years we have been discussing it I don't think it has ever become clear exactly the logic it is using. One of the reasons for that is the different engines and configurations involved as there seems to be some difference as to whether the vehicle has the MH system or not and also what drive mode is being used as well as if the ASS is coded off or not. That said though, I have had mine operate differently under what I would think was the same conditions.

I have never taken the time to try and track the different variables but my guess is if that is done we will see that it is operating on a consistent basis just not logically apparent. For example, it may not be turning off at times because of the outside temperature having the HVAC running. The general consensus is that it is doing it for safety reasons however I'm not convinced that is the case. I lean more towards it having to do with ASS.
      07-06-2023, 05:11 PM   #8
BMPHIL
Major
Rep

Quote:
That's helpful when I want to open the door and keep the car running.

It also confirms that the dealer gave me a garbage answer.

But it's not really satisfying my desire to understand why it's happening (or not happening).
Not necessarily as the M50i doesn't have a hybrid system and does have a button to turn off ASS, all Lci's have the hybrid system and no button to turn off ASS.

As a thought try opening door when engine isn't hot and see if it turns off, if the ASS isn't ready to turn off it will prove it is linked to that.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 06:19 PM   #9
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

I found auto engine off quite annoying.
For instance, I was at the hotel parking entrance gate where I have to touch key pad area with the card to unlock the gate. I came to stop, put the car to P, open the window, but I could not reach the pad, so I opened the door to reach it.
Once gate opened, I closed the car door and try to go forward to just realize that my car was off.
But this took few seconds to figure out (it's my new car) so I had to turn on the engine again and change transmission to D to drive forward...
I was worried that gate might just come down again while driving forward because my car was not moving for a while after gate opened.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 06:30 PM   #10
robbin58
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
As a thought try opening door when engine isn't hot and see if it turns off, if the ASS isn't ready to turn off it will prove it is linked to that.
If the engine is hot, the electric system will open the lower facia vents and run the engine fan until an appropriate cooler temp is reached. I don’t think that has any impact on this issue.

I will try to pay closer attention to the circumstances where it goes off versus on.

Also, while the LCI models do not have a button to toggle ASS, it can be disabled by putting the drive selector in “S”. Other engine calibrations are also changed, but the engine will not turn off when coming to a red light.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 08:07 PM   #11
velopod
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50e, BMW R1250RT, Porsche

I don't fully get the logic either.

Sometimes the lights stay on. Not for the couple of mins, but for an hour. Radio, cooling, etc. Different depending how I open the car vs lock.

Also having issues if I have my cell phone on me AND apple watch (both linked).

And I though my Tesla was nuts - glad to have a "simple" BMW motorcycle to clear the mind ;0
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 04:40 AM   #12
BMPHIL
Major
Rep

Quote:
If the engine is hot, the electric system will open the lower facia vents and run the engine fan until an appropriate cooler temp is reached. I don’t think that has any impact on this issue.

I will try to pay closer attention to the circumstances where it goes off versus on.

Also, while the LCI models do not have a button to toggle ASS, it can be disabled by putting the drive selector in “S”. Other engine calibrations are also changed, but the engine will not turn off when coming to a red light.
The point is that the switching off of the engine when door is opened and car is in park is thought to be linked to the ASS. ASS only comes in when engine is at operating temperature and various other parameters are met. If the car is put in park and door opened before engine is hot does it switch the car off or does it continue running if car remains running the shutting off of engine is probably linked to ASS. It definitely is in my M50i as if I disable ASS it continues running even when hot and I believe it was the same in my 2022 40i which had the hybrid system. This would explain why the shutting off or not isn't consistent, even when the engine is hot other parameters for the ASS to work may not be reached e.g. battery low.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 07:59 AM   #13
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
The point is that the switching off of the engine when door is opened and car is in park is thought to be linked to the ASS. ASS only comes in when engine is at operating temperature and various other parameters are met. If the car is put in park and door opened before engine is hot does it switch the car off or does it continue running if car remains running the shutting off of engine is probably linked to ASS. It definitely is in my M50i as if I disable ASS it continues running even when hot and I believe it was the same in my 2022 40i which had the hybrid system. This would explain why the shutting off or not isn't consistent, even when the engine is hot other parameters for the ASS to work may not be reached e.g. battery low.
Bing, bing, bing. We have a winner.

Check you owner's manual. I did and there is nothing in it that says the engine will turn off when you put it in park and open the door (this may be different for different models). The ASS section lists when the engine will and will not shut off the engine, but doesn't mention putting the car in park and leaving the vehicle. I have my ASS coded off and my engine never shuts off when I put it in park and exit.
Appreciate 0