BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-02-2023, 08:43 AM   #1
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ’23 X3 M40i Brooklyn Grey

3 of my favorite things - kill ASS and sync

Found this helpful video that covers 3 of my favorite settings so figured I would share the link.

1. To kill auto stop start, I use the sport individual setting and set everything to comfort. The system remembers the last sport setting so a single press of the sport button changes to sport individual and ASS is defeated in that mode. It is just like having a button to deactivate ASS. Won’t help if you drive in eco for example but works great for me. 3:40 into the video shows how to do this.

2. When I hit the sport button, I turned off the pop up that covers the middle screen that shows the drive mode change as it hides the map in CarPlay for a few seconds. 7:40 into the video shows how to turn off/on this option. The drive mode displays in the main screen as well so you always know your mode without the annoying pop up.

3. Setting one of the 8 preset buttons to sync helps avoid multiple menu presses to get the hvac to sync. Around 6:30 into the video.

Here’s the link to the video:

Hope this helps some folks! Kudos to whoever made the video
ASAP10208.50
Plusforce159.00
Flippco1155.00
      07-02-2023, 08:58 AM   #2
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

For point 1, I would code your car in bimmercode to start in sport individual by default... it will remove the single button press.
HeatJoey1222.50
jg05303.50
      07-02-2023, 09:13 AM   #3
Plusforce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

I coded it. My car starts in sport individual mode.
I am not a fan of start/stop, also wondering if the water pump still works during the engine off time.
Appreciate 2
HeatJoey1222.50
jg05303.50
      07-02-2023, 09:22 AM   #4
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
For point 1, I would code your car in bimmercode to start in sport individual by default... it will remove the single button press.
Since I have a lease, I’m hesitant to do any coding. I know it can be undone but also don’t want to void the warranty - I know that would be a rare outcome but don’t want to risk it just yet. That may change at some point but for now, I’m ok with the current option. But thanks for the tip!

I’m guessing there are more people who don’t want or know how to code that might be able to use these settings so that why I shared the video.

For reference, I have coded my wife’s Audi to defeat the ASS and it works great though.

Thanks again!
lfdal541051.00
      07-02-2023, 09:37 AM   #5
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg05 View Post
Since I have a lease, I’m hesitant to do any coding. I know it can be undone but also don’t want to void the warranty - I know that would be a rare outcome but don’t want to risk it just yet. That may change at some point but for now, I’m ok with the current option. But thanks for the tip!

I’m guessing there are more people who don’t want or know how to code that might be able to use these settings so that why I shared the video.

For reference, I have coded my wife’s Audi to defeat the ASS and it works great though.

Thanks again!
There is no relation between coding, warranty and lease vs buy.

All coding is doing is changing default settings that already exist in the car's ECU. Some countries have these default settings already on and these items are disabled due to some weird laws.

Case in point - close windows by keyfob or close tailgate by keyfob is set to "off" by default in the USA... why? Because our population isn't very bright and would end up pinching themselves when closing by the button which would end up in a massive lawsuit... in other countries, these settings are often set to "on" by default. All you are doing, is changing "off" to "on"... it just so happens that these settings are not available in the default idrive menu... you're not rewriting or overwriting stock engine parameters i.e. tuning (fueling tables etc) which would definitely void your warranty as that has a risk of blowing the engine if you have no idea what you are doing.

In reality coding shouldn't be coding... i think that was some BS term someone made up before items like bimmercode came out where so called "coders" would charge folks to change a few basic settings.

Last edited by ASAP; 07-02-2023 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 09:52 AM   #6
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
There is no relation between coding, warranty and lease vs buy.

All coding is doing is changing default settings that already exist in the car's ECU. Some countries have these default settings already on and these items are disabled due to some weird laws.

Case in point - close windows by keyfob or close tailgate by keyfob is set to "off" by default in the USA... why? Because our population isn't very bright and would end up pinching themselves when closing by the button which would end up in a massive lawsuit... in other countries, these settings are often set to "on" by default. All you are doing, is changing "off" to "on"... it just so happens that these settings are not available in the default idrive menu... you're not rewriting or overwriting stock engine parameters i.e. tuning (fueling tables etc) which would definitely void your warranty as that has a risk of blowing the engine if you have no idea what you are doing.

In reality coding shouldn't be coding... i think that was some BS term someone made up before items like bimmercode came out where so called "coders" would charge folks to change a few basic settings.
Agreed on all counts except - the dealer can see if any coding was done. If there is an issue, they can conceivably blame the coding/modification. It’s low risk for sure but you can see posts where dealers tried to deny warranty coverage over things like coding the display to Alpina for example. Is that truly enforceable? Likely not but I’d rather not take the risk at this point. Again, I’m familiar with coding and have done some on my wife’s Q5 but will probably wait on this car, especially since I have a decent workaround for now. My decision may change over time but for now, that’s my take.

Again, a lot of people on these boards may never even step into the ring when it comes to coding so the original post may be of some use to those folks. That was really the intent.

Thanks for the good info though!
ASAP10208.50
lfdal541051.00
      07-02-2023, 10:54 AM   #7
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Haha… if my dealer attempted to deny ANYTHING due to my coding, esp the Alpina display, I would crawl so far up the GMs a$$, I’d be picking his teeth with my pocket knife. I would love for them to come at me for denying something…. But that’s just me!

I get your point tho…
Appreciate 3
jg05303.50
Kingpin4386.50
lfdal541051.00
      07-02-2023, 03:42 PM   #8
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGrey View Post
Haha… if my dealer attempted to deny ANYTHING due to my coding, esp the Alpina display, I would crawl so far up the GMs a$$, I’d be picking his teeth with my pocket knife. I would love for them to come at me for denying something…. But that’s just me!

I get your point tho…
Hahahaha!! I’m just trying to avoid going up anyone’s ass